Sponsored

What's your favorite brand of sunglasses?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
RayBan Aviators all the way!
Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but once you start customizing the aviators with polarized, polycarbonate lenses and matte chrome frames, you're back above $140, which is where the Randolphs are anyway. I agree, AO gives you the lower priced options that Randolph doesn't, but who's buying the lower end ones anyway? It's a lot like getting a JL Sport S over a Rubicon: once you're done with the add-ons, you have to figure out which is the better value.

Plus: AO warranty-1 year. Randolph warranty-Lifetime (and they mean it)
https://www.andytraveler.com/digital-nomad-blog/randolph-engineering-vs-american-optical/
https://dappered.com/2015/07/the-difference-between-randolph-engineering-and-ao-sunglasses/
I have both... I am a strong proponent of Randolphs.. I have the aviators and Ranger shooters. their products are awesome.
but once I stumbled on AO, I never went back ...the same thing for less money. really.
AOs in gold, 55mm, bayonette, polarized glass come in at $140.
Randolphs for the same exact thing come in at $240.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
And, since Jeep was made by an American company until Italian company took over, Ray Bans have that in common...
Ray Ban, Oakley, Persol, all are brands owned by Luxottica, italian company; and as they merged with Essilor (French company), who owns Costa.... there goes the competition

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Maui Jim's here as well. Bought an expensive pair 10 years ago and still use them today. Never needed any tightening or adjustment. Of course when I looked at the display the ones I liked and picked out were over $300.00, the most expensive in the case.

I will pay for quality sun glasses as I am not one to lose them and will have them for many many years. That was an investment as I still use them and they are in brand new condition still.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Ray Ban, Oakley, Persol, all are brands owned by Luxottica, italian company; and as they merged with Essilor (French company), who owns Costa.... there goes the competition
There are still American high-quality brands like Randolph and AO, and Revo's and Maui Jim's are still great.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Maui Jims for sure. Ray Bans are Luxottica like 90% of the sunglasses out there, including Persol and Oakley.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Maui Jim's here as well. Bought an expensive pair 10 years ago and still use them today. Never needed any tightening or adjustment. Of course when I looked at the display the ones I liked and picked out were over $300.00, the most expensive in the case.

I will pay for quality sun glasses as I am not one to lose them and will have them for many many years. That was an investment as I still use them and they are in brand new condition still.
My wife used to own cheap ones when I met her, and to treat em like crap, throwing em in her car, no case or whatsoever...
But as an optician there’s no way I’d let her wear $10 Aldo sunglasses...
I got her 2 pairs of RayBan’s, some Oakleys... Now she takes care of em so much, she never would’ve thought so...
So that’s what I’d tell my customers that would say they own only cheap ones and they treat em like crap, lose em all the time and are scared they’re gonna do the same with expensive ones: if you « treat yourself » to a nice (and expensive) pair of glasses, you’ll pay much more attention to them, and you’ll be happy you did as you’ll definitely see a difference.
For those who scratch them go with glass lenses, those who drop em, get organic/polycarbonate lenses ;)

blueshirtz11

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 GMC Envoy, 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix, *2018 JL 2 Door Rubicon*
Occupation
Dentist
Maui Jim hands down. Mine have glass lenses which is great in terms of preventing scratching compared to plastic, but not so great if you tend to drop your sunglasses..that being said I’ve had mine for years, even dropped them a few times, and they’re great

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
My wife used to own cheap ones when I met her, and to treat em like crap, throwing em in her car, no case or whatsoever...
I got her 2 pairs of RayBan’s, some Oakleys... Now she takes care of em so much, she never would’ve thought so...
So that’s what I’d tell my customers that would say they own only cheap ones and they treat em like crap, lose em all the time and are scared they’re gonna do the same with expensive ones: if you « treat yourself » to a nice (and expensive) pair of glasses, you’ll pay much more attention to them, and you’ll be happy you did as you’ll definitely see a difference.
For those who scratch them go with glass lenses, those who drop em, get organic/polycarbonate lenses ;)
Yes to all of this. Fashion sunglasses are usually crap. You only get one set of eyes, take care of them.
My wife also used to wear crap for the look, until I got her Revo's, then she started taking care of them. Now she treats her 23k rose gold Randolph Aviators like they're a tiny child. When you buy something nice, you're more likely to take care of it, and if it's high-quality sunglasses, they're more likely to take care of you.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Yea for the motorcycle I buy cheap ones. Bought an expensive pair once and without neck strap attached turned to look behind me before changing lanes and WHOOOSH they flew off my face! LMAO. OK it did not help that I was doing 120 MPH at the time either.....

:cwl:

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
I like oakley but only because I can't find anything else that isn't bland. I personally can't stand aviators or anything round and similarly shaped. My favorite sunglasses are the oakley penny, but they've been out of production for almost 20 years. Everything just looks the same everywhere else. The few places that don't have super round frames just have bland squarish ones. The Oakley Straight jacket is the set I like the most that's currently in production, but it seems like they are phasing it out. I must be the only one that hates aviators and half frame sunglasses because clearly there just aren't any other options.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I like oakley but only because I can't find anything else that isn't bland. I personally can't stand aviators or anything round and similarly shaped. My favorite sunglasses are the oakley penny, but they've been out of production for almost 20 years. Everything just looks the same everywhere else. The few places that don't have super round frames just have bland squarish ones. The Oakley Straight jacket is the set I like the most that's currently in production, but it seems like they are phasing it out. I must be the only one that hates aviators and half frame sunglasses because clearly there just aren't any other options.
That's how I feel about IPAs. I'm like, doesn't anyone make any other kind of beer anymore? Am I the only one who hates IPAs? But, then again, I like aviators, so go figure...

Jeep421

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have four pair of Maui Jim and love them
But I must say the pair of Smith Optics I bought last year have become my new favorites and I ware them 90% of the time

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I just had a pair of Oakely Crosshair made in RX. They're like aviators, but wrap. Love them.
Sponsored