Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
You enter your rig after it's been parked for a while.

You press the starter button twice without your foot on the brake.

You scroll with the arrows on the left side of the steering wheel to the Vehicle Diagnostics page; perhaps thereafter scrolling right to get to your vehicle's voltage.

What's your number? Mine's 12.7V and I'm curious how in the ballpark that voltage is--if there's even usefulness in this metric.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
I had the auxiliary gauges displayed yesterday in the off road pages.

I noticed the voltage was reading 14.2v when driving and after ESS shut the engine off, it dropped to 12.2v. I thought that was quite a drop but maybe it's normal. As soon as the engine started up it went right back to 14.2v.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I'd love to know at about what voltage the 3.6L will still crank.

You see I've got a trickle charge on the vehicle when parked in my driveway, where my dash cam continues to record.

The dash cam has the ability to stop recording at different voltage thresholds (I set) like 13V and 12V so as to prevent that battery from draining. The former (13V) seems near impossible to attain, the latter perhaps not enough to crank. I set the dash camera's parking cutoff threshold to 12V. I wish it had more precise voltage cutoff gradations.

As long as the trickle charge is connected, history has shown me that it's always capable of putting in more current than natural battery loss and the dash camera combined can take out. My concern is leaving the camera on when parked away from the house when not plugged in--or should I say forgetting to unplug the camera when parked for some time away from home.

I wonder how effective those dash solar power strips that plug into the cigarette lighter are, and if current can flow into the battery from them when the vehicle is off, as the cigarette lighter in the dash is only energized when the vehicle is in accessory mode or cranked.

Perhaps I should get a dedicated battery for the dash camera charged by the alternator and trickle charger (when parked at home).