Sponsored

What's up with the variance in fuel range?!

krazyboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0L
True, but that's not what I meant. I meant that the fuel dispensers have a shut off when the tank is "full," but what the dispenser sees as "full" may be variable at different stations, and even with pumps at the same station.

It shouldn't that big of a difference, but it could affect the amount of fuel in the tank. The variance in range that you see on the screen probably has more to do with your average MPG as I stated before.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
My jeep(3.6L) mileage/mpg operates exactly as my RAM 5.7L--the "MILES REMAINING" will change depending on your driving speed/gear and economy driving !

It just ain't etched in stone !

W.E.

JIMBO

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Also depends on jeep angle going downhill lowers the range in frightening ways when off-roading,

Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
If it hadn't been explained well enough yet, yes, a 20 gallon tank is a 20 gallon tank, but mpg is what drives the calculation to display how many miles you can drive on a single tank. Let's break this down.

1) If your vehicle gets 10 mpg on average, a 20 gallon tank will net you 200 miles, on average. Thus, the computer, on a full tank, would show you 200 miles if using the 10 mpg average.
2) If your vehicle gets 20 mpg on average, a 20 gallon tank will net you 400 miles, on average, and that is what would be displayed.

As your driving style/climate/etc have changed, so has your mpg. The reason everyone mentions mpg is the equation to calculate how many miles a tank will allow you to drive is inextricably linked to the tank volume and the distance you can drive per fixed unit (miles per gallon, in this example).

Additionally, adding another variable (every pump doesn't fill quite the same) probably accounts for a mile or two on a tank. Same for the position of your car, if you're on an incline it could increase or decrease the fuel level at the sensor, so a variance of 10-20 miles isn't uncommon at all, even if all the other factors (climate/driving style/load/passengers/etc) are all the same.

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
this is correct. the range is calculated on recent MPG so it will be higher or lower depending on how you have been driving recently
Yup, absolutely correct. I get crap mileage most of the time due to city driving and short trips. When I head out on the highway with a pretty full tank, my estimated range increases for 20-30 miles straight.

I haven't figured out how much history the computer uses for the estimation, but it's at least 20 miles or 30 minutes worth. No idea if it's temporal or distance.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Wow way over everyone's head here. I'm not talking about gas mileage...????!!
The computer multiplies the number of gallons in your tank by your average MPG for the past X number of miles to estimate the range. So, YES MPG has a lot to do with range.

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Although...it would be awesome if the "fuel range until empty" estimate when you fill up was actually able to predict exactly how you will be driving on that tank ;-)

Rubi Blue

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Cherokee, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 2013 Volvo S80, 2017 Yamaha Wolverine, 2002 Kawasaki KLR, 1970 Honda Mini Trail 70
Not complaining...but what's up with such a variance in fuel tank range after I fill up?

When I first bought my Rubicon I remember the range would be in the 315-330 miles(to empty).

Now when i fill up my range varies greatly from lower 260-290??

I make sure to top it off the same every time i fill up and always costs the same.

I can see maybe a few miles off here and there, but why high range when new but now low varying ranges?

Any thoughts or the same for others?
I understand the question! and my answer is the on-board computer is learning and using a different MPG number internally and displaying the resulting range. When I first got Rubi, it showed 310 mile range. now, i don't see that anymore. Initially, they must have set the computer to use a HIGHER MPG (like what told EPA). Now, the computer is using what I actually get. Nothing to complain about here. Rubi is what my dreams were made of (already completed PowerLine at Brown's Camp... what a RUSH!).

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
My guess, dealing with a Ram 2500 for 11 years and a Journey for 6 that do this, is that the computer is basing that range on your recent driving. So if you have been doing a bunch of in city driving, it'll show a low number, but if you've been cruising the highways, it'll show a higher number for the estimated range.

Just a guess though.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
This.....The range to empty(RTE) is calculated based on the recent MPG. So if your MPG has dropped, so will your RTE, even on a fresh fillup.
Agreed. The computer recalculated the RTE based on recent mpg.
Sponsored