Sponsored

Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the key fob was way too big also when I first saw it. I'm used to the size now, but hate it when the key release gets hit in my pocket, then the key is sticking out. That, and the first time I leaned against something and the prominent panic button got pushed.

$.02 SImple fix...
Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? Key Fob
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi Ken:

Having read the thread I tend to steer away from stating that already said.
  • As to your initial question on size, IMHO I think @BlackGenesis said it best above https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...obsession-with-size-keyfob.60307/post-1293406 about the idea of the fob representing the "go big or go home" idea of things.
  • Posters have already introduced you to Marc Gibson's and Adam Trunkey's designs. All I can add that's useful here is that if you go the Gibson route, do note all the variations he has for either open or closed windows that expose the buttons, or methods of attaching the fob holder to your person like belt clips (or not [belt] clips).
  • If you really want to go small there's this. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/smaller-key-fob.25099/
  • I agree that it's okay for people to rehash old topics here. You and other new members really can't expected to have first read dozens of threads on a plethora of Wrangler JL topics before first posting, and the search facility, while indispensable, like all searches, has its limitations. At the end of the day, those frustrated with rehashed content need not read nor reply.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I love my AJT fob. The only thing I would change about it is I would move the keyring slot off center so that it laid in the slot between the cup holders better.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
The AJT Designs fobs don't really look all that much smaller, but they do certainly feel smaller, especially in my pocket. Getting the transponder out was more of a PITA than the videos let on, but it wasn't bad once I cut the slot on the original fob. The only down side to this is that getting the key out of the fob to unlock the glovebox or door will take a tiny bit of effort (and a tool) but thats not a big deal at all IMO.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Hi Ken:

Having read the thread I tend to steer away from stating that already said.
  • As to your initial question on size, IMHO I think @BlackGenesis said it best above https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...obsession-with-size-keyfob.60307/post-1293406 about the idea of the fob representing the "go big or go home" idea of things.
  • Posters have already introduced you to Marc Gibson's and Adam Trunkey's designs. All I can add that's useful here is that if you go the Gibson route, do note all the variations he has for either open or closed windows that expose the buttons, or methods of attaching the fob holder to your person like belt clips (or not [belt] clips).
  • If you really want to go small there's this. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/smaller-key-fob.25099/
  • I agree that it's okay for people to rehash old topics here. You and other new members really can't expected to have first read dozens of threads on a plethora of Wrangler JL topics before first posting, and the search facility, while indispensable, like all searches, has its limitations. At the end of the day, those frustrated with rehashed content need not read nor reply.
Hey Andy, thank you so much for your helpful posting. I would be the market segment for the keyfob that @BlackGenesis posted (the credit card size). At least it is super thin, and I carry all my cards. ID and cash in clip wallet. I know that some people put the wallet at the back of their pocket but having a clip wallet which is slightly bigger than the Jeep fob does bulk up my pocket a bit.

Like you said - go big and go home and since there are no smaller alternative I might just as well as check out the Gibson designs (HeadBarCode is using it too - Just like him when he hashtag, I might just go and punch my face for making my keyfob slightly bigger) At least it look sleek and I can prevent the key from springing out poking more holes in my pocket.

The posting about smaller fob means an ugly home made transparent fob - which is a solution but I have an awesome Jeep. I would hate it to have that function over form fob associated with my Jeep. But thank you for sharing really.

I love my AJT fob. The only thing I would change about it is I would move the keyring slot off center so that it laid in the slot between the cup holders better.
The AJT Designs fobs don't really look all that much smaller, but they do certainly feel smaller, especially in my pocket. Getting the transponder out was more of a PITA than the videos let on, but it wasn't bad once I cut the slot on the original fob. The only down side to this is that getting the key out of the fob to unlock the glovebox or door will take a tiny bit of effort (and a tool) but thats not a big deal at all IMO.
And to Jeff and James - I know that there are a lot of people loving the AJT Designs, and I am really happy that they are happy with the AJT case (since you have to put your original motherboard into AJT case). But with all respect - and I am saying this with RESPECT - I really don't like the design. I might if I drive a Ferrari but the Terminator futuristic design are just not my style and I would prefer the simplistic elegant look of the original Jeep fob. I might just create a more simple design using a 3D printer if I have one. But I am happy that you like it.

For now - I guess that there are no good alternative to the original keyfob so I guess I will just stick to what I have - or maybe just dressed it up with Gibson case. Thanks for contributing. :like:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@KenPewPew Ken: another thought...which also goes out to physical key lovers.

It's not that hard to get the key copied outside of dealerships. The locksmith needs special tools and by no means do most in the business have them. But that said, the blanks are made of soft metal that can easily be drilled if putting the key on a chain is desired. Alternatively you can separate the physical key from the fob and bypass the locksmith.

Either way, in such an approach, and I fully appreciate its limitations, the fob is hidden in the vehicle in a Faraday bag (see Amazon, etc., blocks fob signals in or out). You open the vehicle with the key, the alarm goes wild, and two seconds later you shut the alarm off with your hidden fob, having removed it from the Faraday bag and pressed the unlock button.

To lock the vehicle you press the lock button on the door, hide your fob inside the Faraday bag inside the vehicle, take the physical key with you, and shut the door.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
No offense taken on my part either. The stock fob definitely looks classier than AJT but I kinda like the tacticool look myself. I'm sure it would be possible to 3d print an even smaller version by using a pry open design vs screws and eliminating the provision for the key.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Remember when they had TWO KEYS!! One for the ignition and one for the doors and trunk....

Oh the humanity!
Granted, this is a niche vehicle, but my 2018 Ural uses four separate keys: ignition, fuel tank lock box, gas cap and trunk. The size and appearance of each key is distinct, too.

Analog, baby. It lives.

Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? New fuel pum

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Ural, the Jeep of motorcycles! Love it, old school to the max! Not a lot of 2wd bikes out there.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The problem with the key fob is that there is none, and we need to be looking for solutions elsewhere.

What I mean by that is not to poo-poo those who dislike it. Hey, it's one of those personal taste things. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Rather, the Wrangler market encompasses so many different types of people that one fob design is bound to thrill or please or be tolerated by some (the ones who are less likely here to talk about it; maybe even the silent majority) while alienate others.

At the end of the day FCA sits down and says "is it worth it for us to introduce another SKU? How much will it cost, how much money will it make us and how many people are likely to not buy the Wrangler when they don't like our key fob, especially when 3rd market solutions always seem to follow aspects of our design that we don't address, and when our community doesn't like something, they simply invent something better. Who else is producing multiple different fobs in our market space? Wait, we have nobody else in our market space!"

So I guess the path of least resistance was to appeal to the idea that when we think of Wrangler we think of a vehicle more likely to be built up than others, whose key fob should reflect that.

This is where both competition (Bronco) and technology will eventually solve these issues. I'd guess that biometric markers are only a model year or two away from becoming more mainstream methods of identifying the owner/operator of a vehicle.

"Mommy, why are you staring at the Lexus.?!"

"I'm trying to get the dang door to do a retina scan to authenticate me!"

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Thats one way to do it I suppose, but I was thinking something a bit more uhh...professional looking. I'm on a few RC boards and its amazing what folks do with 3D printers.