Sponsored

Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)?

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for the AJT fob. Dimensionally it may not appear to be that much smaller than the original, but in the pocket it makes a world of difference. Plus I like the utilitarian look it has. Minor pain in the ass to assemble but overall not as bad as some have made it out to be.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Gibson Leatherworks for the win!

#unholypockets

Look at that. I tic tac toed like a young hipster. Time to go punch myself in the mouth.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
The smaller fobs are smaller because of the slide out key that uses the fob as a sheath, like a fixed blade knife. Problem with that design is the ability of losing the fob, if the little plastic catch fails. The key ring is usually attached to the physical slide out key.

Jeep decided to use a switchblade style fob, so the fob needs to be wider due to storing the key width wise next to the electronics versus flat and behind them. Also, there needed to be extra profile in the case size to strengthen against the torque that gets applied to it when using the physical key.

I use a Gibson Leatherworks fob holster, which increases the profile further, but protects the fob. I clip it to my belt loop with a small carabiner. I generally keep it tucked in my front right pants pocket, and can navigate the buttons through the pants via the window cutout in the holster. If something else is needed in that pocket, it hangs freely outside of the pocket.
1603715987721.jpg
1600739870213.jpg
1600739751558.jpg
What fob?? The only thing that I see on the photos that you posted is this!

Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? 1603747504733

Well after my original smartass post, I feel like I should chip in with something useful. :) I know the AJT fob is only slightly smaller, but honestly it is a big difference for me when it's in my pocket, especially since it doesn't open up randomly and poke my leg. This is from a guy who carries around an original iPhone SE (and a 4S before that) because I hate giant stuff in my pockets. Hopefully someone will come out with a completely redesigned replacement, but until then, swapping the housing with the AJT one is the best option to shrink it.
Agree agree on the redesigned after market fob. Perhaps the Japanese will do it (hey they are good at squeezing thing into mini size) but the problem is that there are not that many Jeep owner in Japan so good bye to cool Japanese design. Totally understand about the key housed in the AJT fob since we don't use the key that much anyway. I hope you are not carrying Iphone anymore because cool and true Jeepers don't do Iphone. (kidding) We are free spirits! :rock:

larger for older people with bad vision and arthritis and so people on Jeep forums can comment!

Dont see the issue. The old FObs had the FOb and damn key attached to them,(pre push button start) thus take up as much volume,
Love your reasoning there Mike aka VNT! If its not for the fob we would not be having this thread! I think the previous old fob which acts like a key can be counted as a key instead of the big bulky box that it is.

I'm definitely in the minority, but I actually liked the size and feel of the original fob. I switched mine to the AJT ones because no matter how hard I tried, I could never get them to snap together all the way. Without the battery/electronics they're perfect, but with them in there would always be a small gap between the two halves which bugged the crap out of me.
Ascuro - I am happy you are happy. I hope that all your cargo shorts (thats what I wear most of the time) right pockets are not filled with holes. This happened when the key button are accidently pushed thus releasing the big key cause holes in the pocket (at least on mine). One time the hole got so big all my coins start dropping off as I am walking. It is sorta embarassing.

Gibson Leatherworks for the win!

#unholypockets

Look at that. I tic tac toed like a young hipster. Time to go punch myself in the mouth.
Mike - just because you are a size queen does not mean that it is all FTW :LOL: (I am gonna get banned for saying this). I am happy that you have no problem with the size of the fob and the leather case. And I know how you look like - you are NOT old at all, you are pretty hip so please don't go around punching your mouth for hashtagging something. Save it for something worthwhile. Comparing you to me -my lifestyle is more like an oldfogger while you remain forever cool (same goes to that wife of yours!) I mean you cannot have nose ring (is that what you call it??) and NOT be cool? The pain is not worth it. :rock:

Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
The smaller fobs are smaller because of the slide out key that uses the fob as a sheath, like a fixed blade knife. Problem with that design is the ability of losing the fob, if the little plastic catch fails. The key ring is usually attached to the physical slide out key.

Jeep decided to use a switchblade style fob, so the fob needs to be wider due to storing the key width wise next to the electronics versus flat and behind them. Also, there needed to be extra profile in the case size to strengthen against the torque that gets applied to it when using the physical key.

I use a Gibson Leatherworks fob holster, which increases the profile further, but protects the fob. I clip it to my belt loop with a small carabiner. I generally keep it tucked in my front right pants pocket, and can navigate the buttons through the pants via the window cutout in the holster. If something else is needed in that pocket, it hangs freely outside of the pocket.
For God's sake, don't drop it! That cute little guy might not survive the impact!

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Well gosh fellers. I’m so old I remember when we just carried this very little metal thing called a “key”, and you know what? It’d unlock the door and even start the engine. Worked great too, no battery failures or similar problems. Now we got to have something the size and weight of a deck of cards to do the exact same thing because people got too lazy to use a key. Maybe indicative of a lot of today’s high tech solutions to low tech problems.

with all that said, the little holsters our member sell really help with this first world problem

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Well gosh fellers. I’m so old I remember when we just carried this very little metal thing called a “key”, and you know what? It’d unlock the door and even start the engine. Worked great too, no battery failures or similar problems. Now we got to have something the size and weight of a deck of cards to do the exact same thing because people got too lazy to use a key.
Remember when they had TWO KEYS!! One for the ignition and one for the doors and trunk.... Oh the humanity!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
It does seem excessive...
Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? fob

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I think they just wanted key fob to be thick and muscular. Same readout why majority put big ofset wheels.

I think that cars which are equipped with proximity entry/push start should come with credit card size key that fits in your wallets credit card slot like my 2006 RX8 Shinka had.

Screenshot_20201026-220731_eBay.jpg

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

The whole key fob thing is an interesting topic. Just think about it for a minute. For decades, cars used a small, thin key to open the doors, trunk, and start the car. Slipped right into your pocket. No problems for years and years.

Then, somebody thought, hmm, I need to be able to open the doors and trunk from 100 feet away, just because. That took us down a a slip slidy road of bigger and better key fobs that do all sorts of stuff now that the old key used to do just fine (other than arm the alarm system I guess).

Oh well, I suppose that's progress, but seems a lot of trouble just to avoid turning a key. And now we all bitch about even having to dig in our pocket and push the button of the fob to open the door.

Unlocks your door and starts your car
Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? 1603769337064

Also unlocks your door and starts your car

Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? 1603769526470

Anyway, I guess I am just bitter because I have no more use for my old key ring.

Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? 1603770323754

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I think part of the reason to switching away from the key is anti theft. In the old days you could pop out the ignition cylinder and start the vehicle with a screwdriver.
With that being said, the new problem in the chess game of trying to keep ahead of thieves is they supposedly can clone your signal now. Ugh.
As far as the fob size, I don’t even notice it once it’s in my pocket and yes occasionally the key has opened in my pocket but it’s less annoying than a bird crapping on my Jeep.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I have learnt that when off road, you need to get in and out often to check the obstacle ahead. The key fob needs to stay in the Jeep.

Or you just need bigger tires and a higher lift so you can just drive over the obstacles... ;) ;)

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I think part of the reason to switching away from the key is anti theft. In the old days you could pop out the ignition cylinder and start the vehicle with a screwdriver.
With that being said, the new problem in the chess game of trying to keep ahead of thieves is they supposedly can clone your signal now. Ugh.
As far as the fob size, I don’t even notice it once it’s in my pocket and yes occasionally the key has opened in my pocket but it’s less annoying than a bird crapping on my Jeep.

For under $40 using a kit on Amazon, you can clone a signal to unlock a persons car or open their garage door in about 8 seconds... I don't recommend it though, it's highly frowned upon... LOL
Sponsored