Sponsored

Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)?

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Why a fob to begin with? What was wrong with a key?

It didn't have a battery. I could have it on a lanyard when swimming and not worry about it getting wet. A duplicate costs a couple of bucks. I could be rough and not worry about breaking it. If I lost it most any reputable locksmith could make a new one on site with no towing. I could open packages with it if I didn't have my knife.

I miss my key......
Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have learnt that when off road, you need to get in and out often to check the obstacle ahead. The key fob needs to stay in the Jeep.
Why?

i keep my key fob in a zippered pocket in my hiking pants. Why does it need to stay in the jeep when I get in and out of the Jeep on trail?

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
i stopped reading after “Thank you”. Short answer is, there are no alternatives. You’ll get used to it. If not, trade your Jeep for a vehicle that has a small key fob and hope you like the car that comes with it. :CWL:
BM, your previous post contradicts your first original post. And your suggestion about trading a Jeep just because of a keyfob is inane. But that is expected coming from someone who just make unnecessary noises without understanding the nature of the questions. Thanks for confirming my opinion of you. I was about to write something sarcastic in respond to your post (ie if you cannot be helpful, don't say anything at all) but I choosed to give you the benefit of doubt and not treat you like an idiot. Oh well. I tried.

I have learnt that when off road, you need to get in and out often to check the obstacle ahead. The key fob needs to stay in the Jeep.
As for the size, I have a complaint directed to every car car maker in the whole world:

My 2004 Ford Escape did not have a battery in the fob. Instead, the fob was powered by the car battery.

Now that we have entered the iPhone age and the 21st century, why is it that the key fob of
[ fill in the blank ] must have a battery in the fob? What ever happened to progress??
Hey Joe! :) You have some interesting method of dealing with your big key fob. I still don't understand the logic of leaving the keyfob in the Jeep. The Jeep will still run if the keyfob is not in the Jeep. I think that even Iphone was powered by some kind of battery, I don't know much about the 2004 Ford but for now I think batteries are essential in all the electronic portable stuff that we carry. That is not counting Write Once Read Many stuff like RFID. Have a good day mate.

Why a fob to begin with? What was wrong with a key?

It didn't have a battery. I could have it on a lanyard when swimming and not worry about it getting wet. A duplicate costs a couple of bucks. I could be rough and not worry about breaking it. If I lost it most any reputable locksmith could make a new one on site with no towing. I could open packages with it if I didn't have my knife.

I miss my key......
Don - I take that you are joking :LOL: Nice job.

I have one of these and love it. Swapped to this after owning a short while. Fits in the pockets so much easier.

Ive had it for a while and no worries at all.
https://www.ajtdesign-llc.com/online-store/Wrangler-JL-2018-c42607417
Jon - hey I did see that fob being mentioned in other postings. I am glad that you like your AJT fob - but with much respect, it is more or less the same size of the original fob, and I think that the original Jeep fob is sleeker in design. And that is more of a casing and not a fob as it is still using the same component of the original keyfob. However thank you for your recommendations. :like:

Why?

i keep my key fob in a zippered pocket in my hiking pants. Why does it need to stay in the jeep when I get in and out of the Jeep on trail?
Or not everyone uses Jeep off road!

I guess there are no smaller alternative to Jeep bigfob for now. I guess it is something that I will have to learn to live with it until some custom solution comes along. Or get a bigger pocket like Chris said. Thanks for humoring me! Have a good day.

Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I thought the key fob was way too big also when I first saw it. I'm used to the size now, but hate it when the key release gets hit in my pocket, then the key is sticking out. That, and the first time I leaned against something and the prominent panic button got pushed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I thought the key fob was way too big also when I first saw it. I'm used to the size now, but hate it when the key release gets hit in my pocket, then the key is sticking out. That, and the first time I leaned against something and the panic button got pushed.
Honestly after reading all the posts on here I was expecting it to be huge. It’s really not that big or an inconvenience IMO. What’s annoying is the key propping out quite often.
Both of you are so RIGHT!!!!!! The worst thing about that key poking out is that it poke holes in my pockets. Now most of my right pockets of my shorts have holes in it due to the stupid key that flip open when the button is accidentally pushed!!!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The smaller fobs are smaller because of the slide out key that uses the fob as a sheath, like a fixed blade knife. Problem with that design is the ability of losing the fob, if the little plastic catch fails. The key ring is usually attached to the physical slide out key.

Jeep decided to use a switchblade style fob, so the fob needs to be wider due to storing the key width wise next to the electronics versus flat and behind them. Also, there needed to be extra profile in the case size to strengthen against the torque that gets applied to it when using the physical key.

I use a Gibson Leatherworks fob holster, which increases the profile further, but protects the fob. I clip it to my belt loop with a small carabiner. I generally keep it tucked in my front right pants pocket, and can navigate the buttons through the pants via the window cutout in the holster. If something else is needed in that pocket, it hangs freely outside of the pocket.
Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? 1603715987721
Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? 1600739870213
Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? 1600739751558

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
Jon - hey I did see that fob being mentioned in other postings. I am glad that you like your AJT fob - but with much respect, it is more or less the same size of the original fob, and I think that the original Jeep fob is sleeker in design. And that is more of a casing and not a fob as it is still using the same component of the original keyfob. However thank you for your recommendations. :like:
Well after my original smartass post, I feel like I should chip in with something useful. :) I know the AJT fob is only slightly smaller, but honestly it is a big difference for me when it's in my pocket, especially since it doesn't open up randomly and poke my leg. This is from a guy who carries around an original iPhone SE (and a 4S before that) because I hate giant stuff in my pockets. Hopefully someone will come out with a completely redesigned replacement, but until then, swapping the housing with the AJT one is the best option to shrink it.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
larger for older people with bad vision and arthritis and so people on Jeep forums can comment!

Dont see the issue. The old FObs had the FOb and damn key attached to them,(pre push button start) thus take up as much volume,

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
It’s just fatter than my Tahoe fob. I do like the little holder in the Jeep though. I park in my garage so I keep it there all the time. When I leave the Jeep it gets thrown in my pocket bit at the end of the day ends up back in the Jeep. I actually like how that’s been working out.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Ken, yea joking about the knife, you are right. Should have been truthful and said I use the key to open boxes when I am too lazy to take out my knife.

I do miss my key though......

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
I'm definitely in the minority, but I actually liked the size and feel of the original fob. I switched mine to the AJT ones because no matter how hard I tried, I could never get them to snap together all the way. Without the battery/electronics they're perfect, but with them in there would always be a small gap between the two halves which bugged the crap out of me.
Sponsored