Sponsored

Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)?

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Why is Jeep Wrangler keyfob SO unnessarily BIG??? It is taking up space in my pocket and I have to dug out the keyfob in order to access other things in my pocket!

Right now, THANKFULLY I have Proximity Remote Access on my new Jeep - which mean I don't have to use my keyfob to open my Jeep. I cannot easily detach my fob from my keyring (which houses my home key among other). My CRV fob is smaller and I can detach the key from the fob - and they all function the same!

Are there any smaller alternative to the original Jeep keyfob. I have been searching but so far I cannot find any! I am not interested in modding my keyfob as some of the member forum here has done. Size is not everything! Functionality is!

If I could recall, the older keyfob was a part of the key. Don't you guys agree that the current keyfob it was unnecessarily big?

Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? 65282 (2)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
They had a slot in the console between the cup holders.

“Hey, let’s build a key fob that will fit into that huge slot!”
”great idea. How big can we make the fob?”
I know you were going to say that!!!! Not many people know that you can place the keyfob between the two cup holders BUT then they are assuming that no one have any other things associated with the keyfob. And who wants to take the fob in and out everytime - doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a remote start? Meh!

Hahah the forum administrator had to add the word (keyfob) to the title of my post.

You just need an appropriate keychain to make the fob look proportional.

4384BC60-3479-45D3-B255-F7B5228320E0.jpeg
Har har nice try. Really funny though but two wrongs does not make it right!! :giggle:

You just wanna show a photo of a banana! However, I do believe that functionality trumps size.

Are there any noticeably smaller mass produced ALTERNATIVE to the current keyfob without sacrificing the features?? Aldo - you know everything - do tell.

Also - this is kind of weird. After responding to this thread, all of a sudden all the ads from this forum turned Chinese on me!!! That is kind of funny - especially when the subject matter of this thread is size. :giggle: (Geddit????) What a coincidence! Heh! Never happened before. The proof is in the pudding. See the screenshot below!

Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? 1603675769698

Jeep Wrangler JL Whats up with Jeep obsession with size (keyfob)? 1603675829134

Last edited:

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Are there any smaller ALTERNATIVE to the current keyfob without sacrificing the features?? Aldo - you know everything - do tell. Do you have anything small to substitute?
get bigger pant pockets

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
This topic has been covered in numerous other threads and there is a slightly smaller option available. Use the “search“ function and you’ll find it. BTW it’s two words - search by title for key fob.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
This topic has been covered in numerous other threads and there is a slightly smaller option available. Use the “search“ function and you’ll find it. BTW it’s two words - search by title for key fob.
If you tried the search you’d find a bakers dozen worth of links to an alternative
Thank you for the clarification BLACKMOAB :like:. I did tried searching - how about linking some links here about alternative that is a) non modded b) not a prototype c) something that is real alternative - a mass produced item to replace the big fob d) a really smaller fob - and not a fob that is "slightly" smaller than the original fob without the nice look of the original fob instead of complaining that this has been done before.

And I thought that this is a forum where people could share their opinions and thoughts. Sure - there are some repository of stuff that was from two years ago with some of the threads having hundreds of posting done by people which was active back then but not now. There are also less likelihood that people are more inclined to comment much less read ALL the hundreds of postings from yesteryears. Many things has changed in a year or two - there has been posting that was kept alive (ie "What did you do to your Jeep today" because it is something very general and relevant to all of us Jeepers) but there are certain threads under general discussions that just died.

Some people believed that certain topic should not be brought back and there has been jokes or even complain about necromancing old topics. New threads are meant to spur communications among the current members, it is a platform to educate and learn from each other and I do believe it foster this togetherness via different form socialization (jokes, empathy, repartee etc). This is what keeps the forum alive. However, please don't ever feel the burden to respond because a new "redundant" thread is started - or any other thread in that matter. Have a good week! :like:

Last edited:

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Thank you for the clarification BLACKMOAB :like:. I did tried searching - how about linking some links here about alternative that is a) non modded b) not a prototype c) something that is real alternative - a mass produced item to replace the big fob d) a really smaller fob - and not a fob that is "slightly" smaller than the original fob without the nice look of the original fob instead of complaining that this has been done before.

And I thought that this is a forum where people could share their opinions and thoughts. Sure - there are some repository of stuff that was from two years ago with some of the threads having hundreds of posting done by people which was active back then but not now. There are also less likelihood that people are more inclined to comment much less read ALL the hundreds of postings from yesteryears. Many things has changed in a year or two - there has been posting that was kept alive (ie "What did you do to your Jeep today" because it is something very general and relevant to all of us Jeepers) but there are certain threads under general discussions that just died.

Some people believed that certain topic should not be brought back and there has been jokes or even complain about necromancing old topics. New threads are meant to spur communications among the current members, it is a platform to educate and learn from each other and I do believe it foster this togetherness via different form socialization (jokes, empathy, repartee etc). This is what keeps the forum alive. However, please don't ever feel the burden to respond because a new "redundant" thread is started - or any other thread in that matter. Have a good week! :like:
i stopped reading after “Thank you”. Short answer is, there are no alternatives. You’ll get used to it. If not, trade your Jeep for a vehicle that has a small key fob and hope you like the car that comes with it. :CWL:

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
And who wants to take the fob in and out everytime - doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a remote start? Meh!

I have learnt that when off road, you need to get in and out often to check the obstacle ahead. The key fob needs to stay in the Jeep.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
As for the size, I have a complaint directed to every car car maker in the whole world:

My 2004 Ford Escape did not have a battery in the fob. Instead, the fob was powered by the car battery.

Now that we have entered the iPhone age and the 21st century, why is it that the key fob of
[ fill in the blank ] must have a battery in the fob? What ever happened to progress??