Pj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (SOLD)
Occupation
Growth Engineering Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious to know what's under the hood of your JL.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a 2.0T eTorque and a 2.0T without eTorque.

The 2.0T eTorque was offered only in the first year; it was dropped due to poor sales and replaced in 2019 with the current 2.0T without eTorque.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
3.6 s autos no e-tq

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Currently have a 2020 JLUR 3.6 with 8 spd and no eTorque.

looking at a possible 2 door base sport down the road. That will be 3.6 with 8 spd and eTorque as the automatics are no longer available in a 3.6 without eTorque. How many folks think that is a bad idea and I should go for the Turbo 4 without eTorque instead in a Base 2 door sport?

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Currently have a 2020 JLUR 3.6 with 8 spd and no eTorque.

looking at a possible 2 door base sport down the road. That will be 3.6 with 8 spd and eTorque as the automatics are no longer available in a 3.6 without eTorque. How many folks think that is a bad idea and I should go for the Turbo 4 without eTorque instead in a Base 2 door sport?
I have a 2.0T, with the E Torque, and love it. The 2.0T without the E Torque would be fast, fun, and get great mpg.
The E Torque does have a 8 year/ 80,000 mile warranty, as part of the federal emissions laws, so drive both, pick what you prefer...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am surprised there are so many V6s out there.

I honestly thought sales of V6 and 2.0T were a lot closer than that.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0T eTorque was offered only in the first year; it was dropped due to poor sales and replaced in 2019 with the current 2.0T without eTorque.
Not true. The 2.0T with eTorque was also offered in 2019.

I've got one.

In 2020, only the Rubicon Recon offered the 2.0T with eTorque.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation

Even I am surprised. If you check out the Jeep tracker, the V6 is outselling the Turbo 4 by a large margin. This is for those who custom order. These are usually your Jeep enthusiasts (be it first time owners like me or Jeep veterans).

same for this forum: usually Jeep enthusiasts sign up for this forum. New and Veteran enthusiasts typically prefer the 3.6 due to it’s perceived reliability. Time shall tell if the Turbo 4 is equally as good. Good news is that so far there have not been any major issues with that engine.

A big portion of Jeep owners are also general car drivers who just go to a dealership and pick from the lot. Those guys are mainly not on the Jeep tracker or this forum.
Pretty sure most of those folks get the Turbo 4 as they may not be as familiar with the technical aspects of a vehicle in general. At least in Long Island, it is hard to find a Pentastar on a dealer lot and usually needs to be custom ordered. They all carry the Turbo 4. This tells me that your typical car buyer doesn’t care about engine as much as an enthusiast and will take whatever the dealer has on the lot.

Last edited:

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I honestly wanted the 2.0 w/ eT, but also wanted MT and didn't want to pay thousands extra for almost no difference in performance. In the end, I just got the best deal I could find. They could have put a 2.4 tigershark in it and I would have gone with that slug if I could have saved a few grand...

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned a V-8 CJ5, TJ Rubicon, XJ, ZJ, my dad had a CJ7 when I was in high school and I currently own two JLUR's (both with 2.0T eTorques). I always work on my own Jeeps, never paid a mechanic to do anything, unless it's a warranty item. So I consider myself a veteran Jeep enthusiast.

When I test drove the JL in 2018, I drove both a 3.6 and 2.0T. The 2.0T put a smile on my face and was reminiscent of my CJ5 with a 304 engine and 4 barrel intake and carb. I could pass cars while going up mountain grades at any speed, with power to spare. The 3.6 was not nearly as strong and seemed more like the 4.0 engine after driving the 2.0T. Until Jeep comes out with a true V8 in a Wrangler, I'll stick with the 2.0T engine.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've owned a V-8 CJ5, TJ Rubicon, XJ, ZJ, my dad had a CJ7 when I was in high school and I currently own two JLUR's (both with 2.0T eTorques). I always work on my own Jeeps, never paid a mechanic to do anything, unless it's a warranty item. So I consider myself a veteran Jeep enthusiast.

When I test drove the JL in 2018, I drove both a 3.6 and 2.0T. The 2.0T put a smile on my face and was reminiscent of my CJ5 with a 304 engine and 4 barrel intake and carb. I could pass cars while going up mountain grades at any speed, with power to spare. The 3.6 was not nearly as strong and seemed more like the 4.0 engine after driving the 2.0T. Until Jeep comes out with a true V8 in a Wrangler, I'll stick with the 2.0T engine.
If you don’t mind me asking: how miles have you put on the Turbo 4 and have you seen any issues so far? This is more for my research in regards to my second Jeep. I always like hearing from experienced guys.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not true. The 2.0T with eTorque was also offered in 2019.

I've got one.

In 2020, only the Rubicon Recon offered the 2.0T with eTorque.
Potato, potahto...I knew 2.0T eTorque was available and dropped at some point.

Only FCA can keep track of the nonstop changes in engine offerings.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

I'm willing to bet that there are 10x, maybe even 100x, the amount of people that lurk in the shadows, than the total member count on this forum. Reading and trying to get a bead of which engine to choose, but never joining. They read a bunch of posts that come across as informative, but are really written by people that really don't know what they're talking about but are either just regurgitating the same closed minded thoughts that they heard while bouncing on dad's knee or those of the guy who was that kid. The unfortunate domino effect. Add to that, the biased need to defend one's purchase as the only right one. I've read a number of posts written by a v6 owner that left me convinced that they probably would've been happier with the I4 turbo, but were initially swayed by the bouncing knee remarks.

But that's the reality of all forums. Never take anything at face value. I find these forums to be one of the best sources of research, but it first requires a considerable amount of time to be invested. And most of that time is finding out who's who around here. Who's worth listening to versus who didn't dig deep enough and is just regurgitating and/or is just defending the companies free decal that came in the box and is now on their jeeps window.
Sponsored