Sponsored

Whats this button?

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
Still looking at JL Wrangler Sport 2 doors. Noticed some have the button just to the right of the cold/hot button on the AC panel. Has a vehicle headed down a hill. Is this some type of hill descent? Why do some Sports not have this button? I haven't noticed it being listed on the window sticker as an option.

Thanks
Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yes, this would be Hill descent, I’m not sure what trims it comes with.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I don't have this but I have a manual transmission. It might be for Autos only.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I have this in the Rubicon. I love it. My wife and I have been doing a lot wheeling. I have been making her do almost all the off road stuff so she learns. She has used it a fair amount. This is a nice piece of technology.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Yes it comes with the auto box. You need to be in 4low, press the button to turn on down hill assist then shift the gearbox to manual. You bump the gear lever up or down to increase or decrease speed in increments of 0.6 mph..It’s a nice feature.

Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I used the cruise control buttons to increase or decrease the speed. Make sure your lockers are unlocked.

coachgrinnan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Its basically SUPER slow cruise control. It a nice feature.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Hill descent works as auto braking system. It uses the vehicle’s ABS to brake each wheel individually as needed for a very controlled descent. I believe this only comes with the automatic transmission.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
So the hill descent only comes with the autos?
That would make sense as you could use engine braking if you have a MT. I had HDC on a Land Rover that I had previously, it’s basically like super slow cruise control as coacgrinnan stated above.

Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
In the automatic transmission you have very good compression braking with the lock up torque converter. I think it has to do with stalling the engine and lack of control of the manual transmission. Hill descent in an auto has full computer control of the function of the automatic. This is why you pay more for the automatic. It is not just $2000 dollars for an automatic. It comes with lots more things.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
In the automatic transmission you have very good compression braking with the lock up torque converter. I think it has to do with stalling the engine and lack of control of the manual transmission. Hill descent in an auto has full computer control of the function of the automatic. This is why you pay more for the automatic. It is not just $2000 dollars for an automatic. It comes with lots more things.
If I understand my window sticker, the auto tranny includes the HDC, tip start, and the Dana M220 axle.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
If I understand my window sticker, the auto tranny includes the HDC, tip start, and the Dana M220 axle.
Mike, in the Sport you only get the 220 if you order the limited slip diff option. If you have the 220, you should also have the LSD. It was a $595 option on my 2018 Sport Unlimited. Auto or manual trans is irrelevant for this option. The 220 is a Dana 44, if this helps. Peace.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Mike, in the Sport you only get the 220 if you order the limited slip diff option. If you have the 220, you should also have the LSD. It was a $595 option on my 2018 Sport Unlimited. Auto or manual trans is irrelevant for this option. The 220 is a Dana 44, if this helps. Peace.
Yup, got the LSD as well. Thing that threw me is that on my sticker, the axle is listed in with the auto tranny pack. Only the tires are listed under the LSD.

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT (May Replace Standard Equipment)
Customer Preferred Package 24B
All–Weather Floor Mats $150
8–Speed Automatic Transmission $2,000
3rd Generation Dana® Solid Rear Axle
Hill Descent Control
Tip Start
Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle $595
245/75R17 All–Terrain Tires
Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows $495
Air Conditioning $1,295
Black Freedom Top® 3–Piece Hard Top $1,195
Delete Soft Top
Rear Window Wiper / Washer
Rear Window Defroster
Freedom Panel Storage Bag

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
But it's not though. It only works going down hill. cruise control would imply that it works on flats and while going up hill as well, like Toyota's crawl control feature. I really wish I had the option to set my Jeep at 2.5 mph (or whatever) and then just steer.
And that is yet another reason I went with m/t. 1st gear, 4low I simply steer. No clutch, brake or gas unless I want to stop and go. Goes almost anywhere I point it. I have also used the 'winch mode' in the tazer menu to jump the rpms up if needed. Works amazing
Sponsored