Sponsored

Whats the solution for sagging suspension because of too much weight?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
When I head out for expeditions, I am fully loaded. Adding up aftermarket stuff's weight I have to have at LEAST 1000lbs over bone stock weight. It's so bad I can't drive at night because people think I'm driving with my high beams on.

I have Rubicon suspension take offs but still lose an honest 2 inches of clearance in the rear when fully loaded.

How do I solve this?
Sponsored

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO, first step is to reduce the weight as much as possible. Being overweight while off-roading isn't a great experience no matter what you do. Your handling will suffer and you increase the risk of something breaking.

After you've reduced the weight as much as you can, if you're still sagging then the next thing is look for aftermarket springs with a stiffer spring rate. Note that this will probably make your unloaded road ride rougher. Fortunately, most aftermarket springs are stiffer than the stock Rubicon springs.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
i used some simple helper air bags from air lift performance. they were for my old LJ, but they slipped right in the JL rear coil springs and only need 20-30 PSI to level me back out when fully loaded. you can obviously upgrade and get some electric air pressure mangement system, but i just plumbed two different shraeder valves to each rear wheel well and air up as needed and bleed them out as needed. i have heard that they have a kit for the JL now, but what i have is working just fine and with 45 minutes of total install time.

good luck.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i used some simple helper air bags from air lift performance. they were for my old LJ, but they slipped right in the JL rear coil springs and only need 20-30 PSI to level me back out when fully loaded. you can obviously upgrade and get some electric air pressure mangement system, but i just plumbed two different shraeder valves to each rear wheel well and air up as needed and bleed them out as needed. i have heard that they have a kit for the JL now, but what i have is working just fine and with 45 minutes of total install time.

good luck.
How are the air bags off road? I wouldn't think they're well suited for that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How are the air bags off road? I wouldn't think they're well suited for that.
why not?

ive had them on several rigs and they worked fine.

EDIT: this past weekend we drug the JL, at stock height with these air bags installed, around the park at Hot Springs ORV park with no issue. no 5 rated trails, but it did damn well in the rocks and never noticed the air bags back there.

Last edited:
OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
IMO, first step is to reduce the weight as much as possible. Being overweight while off-roading isn't a great experience no matter what you do. Your handling will suffer and you increase the risk of something breaking.

After you've reduced the weight as much as you can, if you're still sagging then the next thing is look for aftermarket springs with a stiffer spring rate. Note that this will probably make your unloaded road ride rougher. Fortunately, most aftermarket springs are stiffer than the stock Rubicon springs.
I know what you're saying, but the lbs add up quick. Roof rack is 100lbs, bumper is 100lbs, winch 100lbs, extra spare (6 total tires) 50 lbs, 25 gallons of fluids (gas & water) 125lbs, me 190lbs. (numbers are loosely rounded) I haven't even started packing recovery stuff, camping stuff or anything else and I'm at 665lbs give or take.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Go with the JKS heavy duty kit. It will keep you level.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I like the helper air bag springs for variable loads. Not sure how well they work in practice, but they seem pretty slick. That way you don't have super stiff springs when unloaded.

Sponsored

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
why not?

ive had them on several rigs and they worked fine.

EDIT: this past weekend we drug the JL, at stock height with these air bags installed, around the park at Hot Springs ORV park with no issue. no 5 rated trails, but it did damn well in the rocks and never noticed the air bags back there.
The main worry would be durability when off-roading. Particularly if you have an aftermarket suspension with increased travel but I've no personal experience with air bags so its just speculation.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The main worry would be durability when off-roading. Particularly if you have an aftermarket suspension with increased travel but I've no personal experience with air bags so its just speculation.
you kinda have to see it, but these air bags only sit in part of the coils, so it expands and moves with the part of the coil its in.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I wonder if you could fit Sport front springs in the rear?

kdraggy86

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Having the same issue as the OP. Was told adjustable shocks like the Fox or King kits would be a solution, but those setups run around $2500. Would love a cheaper idea.
Sponsored