Sponsored

What's the risk - first year 4xe

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Right, or FCA could have horrific quality control, and slowly fix their releases through factory updates and TSBs, because their loyal customer base is willing to put up with it.

My FCA vehicles are wildly underreported for quality problems, because my local dealers are miserable to deal with. I just sold my 2019 ram rather than take it in for the 3 major issues it had.

I also put up with a lot of "Jeep issues" (like the fact that when I open my door in the rain, a quart of water pours into my left shoe) because it's a Jeep, but it is ridiculous not to hold them to task for low quality. I owned a new honda model that was #7000 off the assembly line based on the VIN, and it never went in for a repair in 3 years.

I'm happy to say that my Rubicon has been flawless in the 4500 pampered city miles I have put on it, however, I have been after my dealer to apply the steering TSB for 3 months now.
Sponsored

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Right, or FCA could make garbage vehicles and slowly fix them through factory updates and TSBs, because their loyal customer base is willing to put up with it.

My FCA vehicles are wildly underreported for quality problems, because my local dealers are horrific to deal with.

I also put up with a lot of "Jeep issues" (like the fact that when I open my door in the rain, a quart of water pours into my left shoe) because it's a Jeep, but it is ridiculous to act like it isn't an issue. I owned a new honda model that was #7000 off the assembly line based on the VIN, and it never saw the dealer in 3 years.
You misunderstand me. I'm not saying FCA makes great vehicles, because frankly I agree they make absolute trash. I'm merely saying anybody thinking the 4xe will magically become way more reliable a few years down the line might be sorely disappointed. Some improvement/fixes? Sure, maybe. Massive reliability improvement? Rather unlikely.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
You misunderstand me. I'm not saying FCA makes great vehicles, because frankly I agree they make absolute trash. I'm merely saying anybody thinking the 4xe will magically become way more reliable a few years down the line might be sorely disappointed. Some improvement/fixes? Sure, maybe. Massive reliability improvement? Rather unlikely.
You're right, I did misunderstand - and my anger at FCA is less with my Jeep than my Ram - which like you was ordered before they ever hit dealer lots. But with that it was easy to watch the steady evolution of parts and TSBs which were resolved along the way. Trucks that were built in the 3 months prior to mine had some major issues that mine did not, and along the last 2 years there were steady incremental fixes. If my local dealers were excellent this would not have been a big deal, and I laughed and said "these things happen" the first few trips in, but as the list of issues grew I was done with it.

My point there is that there WAS evidence that the factory was changing parts or addressing issues - but it was much slower than you'd expect from a modern manufacturing system. They released a TSB in Nov 2020 for an issue many owners reported 2 years prior.

Like a battered spouse, I'm willing to buy a 2022 Ram because I can see that most of the things that gave me trouble were addressed - however I'm making a leap of faith that there isn't another pile of problems waiting around the corner. I'm also anxiously awaiting the 2022 Tundra release; after 3 Rams in a row Toyota might get my $50k this time around.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm also anxiously awaiting the 2022 Tundra release; after 3 Rams in a row they might get my $50k this time around.
I'm with you there, I already know my 4xe is being traded in the moment the next-gen 4Runner hits dealer lots, which hopefully isn't too far behind the TNGA-F Tundra.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
It would be nice if they offered a path to upgrade the battery in the future. Battery technology is always evolving and improving. 50 Mile range today, may have a battery with 75 -100 mile range in 5 years or less.

This concept is something that jumped out me as soon as electric vehicles became a reality. Would be a great option to have for some future proofing.

OP
OP
hybrid3.0

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Agreed. Are you aware of any EV or PHEV manufacturer that offers updated battery pack capacity that retrofits into older vehicles? I don't think anyone offers this. Manufacturers want to incentivize you to buy a new product to get these new features. Perhaps a day will come when an aftermarket battery company will offer kits to increase charge density. The only company that has deviated from the model 'buy new to get new feature content' model I know of is Tesla who provides software updates including NEW features instead of just updates to fix bugs. This works as long as the hardware platform is new enough but even then this seems to sunset quickly.
Sponsored