Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Here is a question:
Jeep JLU Sport Manual Trans.
D30 Up Front and D44 in Rear
35" STT Pro Tires

I swapped the TC for a NV241OR (rubicon) so I increased my crawl ratio from 48 to 70.

I need to re-gear because the 35's with the MT and the 3.45's are not enough.

If I re-gear to 4.56 or 4.88 then I am looking at 93 or 100 for a crawl ratio.

I will be decreasing speed by half but increasing torque by double.

Is that too much for torque the D30? I wheel on rocks. I wheel conservative, but this is doubling the ratio on the axles, in addition to the added torque due to the tires.
I ran 4.88s with 35s in a TJ with a d30/d35 for a decade and never had an issue. However I am a finesse driver not a hammerhead.
Sponsored

Aquastream

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, Hella Yella, 2.0 T
I am running a HEAVY 35x12.5 E load tire right now from Fedral (rugged terrain rt), 80lbs šŸ˜³.
I donā€™t notice any difference in power as of yet, but sometimes my gearing or transmission feels like itā€™s surprised by the weight and it clunks lightly sometimes as if I accelerate too quickly.
Getting my speedometer reprogrammed to match the tires it should coordinate the shifting a little better I hope.
These tires are FOR SALE! Looking at the 315/70, D-load 60lb Duratracs next

2.5 inch lift is going in this week for this one
Jeep Wrangler JL Whats the real deal with 35's 2AB44FCD-3C9F-46F0-ACC9-BA0156E122A7
Jeep Wrangler JL Whats the real deal with 35's 6097CA48-BCEF-4F86-BBF5-33586D34C1A0

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

19 sport s with the M220 rear and M186 front. I wheel monthly at Raush and AOAA off-road parks. I run mostly blue trails and will occasionally run an easier black. Have 45k miles on my rig and no issue yet. I am still on stock gearing but I do run a hikeit throttle controller. I still see 8th gear under 72mph. Over that Iā€™m in 7th at around 2200 rpmā€™s. Average 18 mpg highway and 16 city.

Jeep Wrangler JL Whats the real deal with 35's 6097CA48-BCEF-4F86-BBF5-33586D34C1A0

A great reminder of why independent front suspension doesnā€™t interest me for serious off-roading.

Jst42ln

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
I just picked up a 2022 High Tide edition JL. It comes factory with 35 BFGs, a 1.5inch lift and 4.56 gears. It's all stock 3.6l pushes it awesome. The axles should be fine. My 89 has a stroker in it and a Ford 8.8 rear. And runs 35s as well.

climbkili

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
35's should be fine without a regear if you have the 8 speed Auto. You will have to lift the Willy's.

35's only fit the Rubicon without lift but may rub off road. I run 35's but have a Rubi with a 3" lift & after market fenders. Rubi comes with the 4.10 final drive gear ratios.

You might be able to find take off Rubi parts in the used market. In fact, I will have my Rubicon suspension for sale on Offer Up.

Sponsored

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase
35's should be fine without a regear if you have the 8 speed Auto. You will have to lift the Willy's.

35's only fit the Rubicon without lift but may rub off road. I run 35's but have a Rubi with a 3" lift & after market fenders. Rubi comes with the 4.10 final drive gear ratios.

You might be able to find take off Rubi parts in the used market. In fact, I will have my Rubicon suspension for sale on Offer Up.
Not quite accurate here. My High Tide is a $12K package (25D) added to a Sport base. Xtreme Recon axles front (M210 Wide HD) and rear (M220 Wide) rear. Both geared at 4.56. Fronts include the steel steering knuckles and the hardened axle tubes from the Recon. Shocks and other bits underneath and fenders / spare tire rack are specific to this XR/High Tide package Brakes are the Performance package. 8x17 wheels and 35s. 2.5 in. Wider track than a stock Rubicon and 4ā€ wider track than the Sport. No lockers and no 4:1 transfer case but, yes, factory 35s on a 1.5 in. lifted modified Sport, all factory. Throw in painted hardtop plus a sunrider convertible top, Mopar spare tire carrier, an etorque mild hybrid V-6 and lithium battery that adds 90 lbs. ft. Of torque below 2,000 rpm. Then add numerous thoughtful modifications and itā€™s a pretty nice package. I really could have lived without the High Tide stickers on the hood which gets many to think this was just a light mod and tape job. Jeep Marketing did not help. Dealers never got this technical training in package content. Then Stellantis kills it with huge price hikes. This was supposed to be a $45-46K Jeep (base Sport plus $12K 25D package) before pricing went crazy. Now, hard to understand the mid-fifties prices.

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not accurate? Previous post said only the Rubicons could take 35s. High Tide content in general is understated. New High Tide owners canā€™t figure out what they have unless they pull their build sheet. First Jeep that is not a Rubicon delivered with not just Rubicon but non-locker Recon axles and steel steering knuckles, and who knew? Not on the window sticker. Stellantis pricing and Jeep marketing.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Not accurate? Previous post said only the Rubicons could take 35s. High Tide content in general is understated. New High Tide owners canā€™t figure out what they have unless they pull their build sheet. First Jeep that is not a Rubicon delivered with not just Rubicon but non-locker Recon axles and steel steering knuckles, and who knew? Not on the window sticker. Stellantis pricing and Jeep marketing.
Actually it is fully specā€™d out on the Jeep build page. It actually says the Xtreme Recon pkg included. Doesnā€™t take any research to find that out. The High Tide is just a Willys Xtreme Recon with different hood decals. kind of like a quick order pkg.

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Actually it is fully specā€™d out on the Jeep build page. It actually says the Xtreme Recon pkg included. Doesnā€™t take any research to find that out. The High Tide is just a Willys Xtreme Recon with different hood decals. kind of like a quick order pkg.
This is interesting. Good input. Clarifications:
- If I build a Willys on the Jeep page with Xtreme Recon package I get a great description of package content. Accurate. Starts at $44K. Good value. I don't get a High Tide. Turbo Four, non-etorque. No etorque V-6 available with 4.56 gearing. Includes the $2K 850RE transmission. No painted top, no Sunrider top but still a good value. Can be ordered today.
- In May when my High Tide was built, it was the 25D High Tide package added to a base Sport for $11,895. Total sticker was $45,167. Included all the content of the Willys Xtreme Recon package but not detailed out, etorque V-6, 850RE trans, safety group, painted top, sunrider top, LED lights, "Xtreme Recon tire package," rock rails. A good value. Poorly described and marketed, but a good value.
- Today when I try to build my same Jeep, High Tide is no longer available as a package on the Sport. It is a separate trim package starting at $51,930. Add the Safety Group. All else in the May 25D package is now included in the trim package High Tide. Total bill today for my Jeep? $53,075. Really? For a High Tide? Does this trim package include all of the Xtreme Recon package? No detail in the description of the content of the Xtreme Recon package being in this Jeep. But it is there. Poorly marketed and poorly positioned versus a $55,785 Rubicon with Xtreme Recon package. I like this High Tide package quite a bit. At $45-46K. I am not happy with what Jeep just did to it.

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
- If I build a Willys on the Jeep page with Xtreme Recon package I get a great description of package content. Accurate. Starts at $44K. Good value. I don't get a High Tide. Turbo Four, non-etorque. No etorque V-6 available with 4.56 gearing. Includes the $2K 850RE transmission. No painted top, no Sunrider top but still a good value. Can be ordered today.
- In May when my High Tide was built, it was the 25D High Tide package added to a base Sport for $11,895. Total sticker was $45,167. Included all the content of the Willys Xtreme Recon package but not detailed out, etorque V-6, 850RE trans, safety group, painted top, sunrider top, LED lights, "Xtreme Recon tire package," rock rails. A good value. Poorly described and marketed, but a good value.
- Today when I try to build my same Jeep, High Tide is no longer available as a package on the Sport. It is a separate trim package starting at $51,930. Add the Safety Group. All else in the May 25D package is now included in the trim package High Tide. Total bill today for my Jeep? $53,075. Really? For a High Tide? Does this trim package include all of the Xtreme Recon package? No detail in the description of the content of the Xtreme Recon package being in this Jeep. But it is there. Poorly marketed and poorly positioned versus a $55,785 Rubicon with Xtreme Recon package. I like this High Tide package quite a bit. At $45-46K. I am not happy with what Jeep just did to it.
Where are you getting $44k from building a new Willyā€™s with XR? When I select a JLU Willyā€™s and only add the XR package (where it then requires the auto and selected the v6) itā€™s 50,745k.

Sponsored

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep build and price page online. Willys Sport selected. Added Xtreme Recon package ($3,995) for total of $44,090. Not all the High Tide options, not the etorque V-6, but a very nice Willys. And a great value. You are getting over $50K for the same selections? My configurator on the Willys only allows the Turbo-4 engine non-etorque if you want 4.56 gears. $2,000 for the 850RE trans. Just verified all that again a moment ago. I am using my California zip code.

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You do want 4.56 gearing with the 35s - my experience. I see that for 2023 the engine choices now include the etorque V-6 with 4.56 gearing for about $2K extra. Nice change for 2023, Jeep. Plus a modest $370 upcharge for the 2023 vs. 2022. That puts me at $46,460 for a 2023 V-6 etorque Xtreme Recon Willys Sport with 850RE trans. Does that help?

Last edited:

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Initially when the High Tide was introduced for Jeep beach there was an initial run of 5000 units. They were not an optional package. At that time all the specs were widely publicized. Only on a build sheet will you see all the extras an XR package adds, even on the Willys and Rubicon. But then there are a lot of standard options on a Rubicon that people donā€™t realize they have until they do some research ā€œ Or Read The Manualā€. On Jeeps page they do give you a drop down that does show a couple of the XR components. It appears the the HighTide has simply become a quick order package for a Willys XR.
The window sticker also tells you very little other then it has the Xtreme Recon 35ā€ tire package, and if you know what you are looking at you will see the GVW is increased from the standard 5800lbs to 6100lbs.
The XR package includes a lot of parts that people donā€™t even know they have until they research it. Thatā€™s just being an informed buyer.
In the big picture most people donā€™t care whatā€™s in any of the packages. They see one on the lot, they like the look, and they buy it.

E4D3DF6D-5607-4B83-BE49-2AAC0FE791AE.jpeg

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep build and price page online. Willys Sport selected. Added Xtreme Recon package ($3,995) for total of $44,090. Not all the High Tide options, not the etorque V-6, but a very nice Willys. And a great value. You are getting over $50K for the same selections? My configurator on the Willys only allows the Turbo-4 engine non-etorque if you want 4.56 gears. $2,000 for the 850RE trans. Just verified all that again a moment ago. I am using my California zip code.
I think thereā€™s some dissonance here, youā€™re talking about the Willys sport and heā€™s talking about the Willys looks like.

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Shouldn't be a surprise to us but no High Tide for 2023. 35s and all the Xtreme Recon hardware are available now on the Willys Sport. You can spec one out close to a High Tide. No Gorilla Glass or painted top or Safety Group or LED lights as on the High Tide, and the total comes out at a hefty $49,050. Makes the Turbo 4 and the Extreme Recon package a bargain, then go light on the option list. My two cents. Heavy on the option list for this Willys Sport XR and you might as well look at a Rubicon and forget the options. Do your own lift and 35s and rims. Jeep is not properly motivating us.
Sponsored

Last edited: