Sponsored

What's The Pros Opinion On the BushCraft RIM Winch System?

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Saw this on a YouTube Coverage of SEMA 2023.

What makes me nervous and why I need some opinions from those who have a lot of experience using winch systems - wouldn't this create a LOT of pressure on the axle and hub? I would think that a center winch mounted on the JL Steel bumper offers a lot more stability and strength.

The explanation is very clever but the skeptic in me says that if it's too good to be true then....(you know the rest).

Thanks guys!

Twist On Drive Out System

Jeep Wrangler JL What's The Pros Opinion On the BushCraft RIM Winch System? Capture.JPG
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I mean, I believe it works, and it's quite a bit cheaper than a mounted winch.

HOWEVER

1. Even if your axles/wheels can handle it, is that *really* the part of your Jeep that you want to put additional strain on when you're out somewhere that you'd need this?
2. It's fine in sand, but if you're stuck in a water crossing or mud pit, that's NOT the tool I'm going to want to have.

A frame-mounted winch puts the strain on your frame - which can certainly handle it, in most cases. It's also easier to access if/when your vehicle is stuck, and is much more versatile (sand, mud, etc).

marktgorman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JK
OP
OP
jromanmd

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
@rcadden Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for the reply!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just to play devil's advocate, seems like there is already a round rotating thing you could wrap a rope around existing on the axle.

Toss a loose winch line under the tire, spin it to get it under the tire, tie it to itself? Still gotta anchor to something.

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Take some time and look into it, it was the only way they had to free their expedition or Land Rovers that were out on jungle voyages. There is a lot more about it available but the vehicles didn`t weight 5000 plus lbs. I have seen them used on log roads yo clear fallen trees and I`m sure there were some farmers that made use of them. Sometimes at estate sales that I have been to in PA at old homes have had half of a smaller diameter rim welded to the full size rim. I was told that is what it was for and it could be put on any corner that it was needed.

I do have to add one thing that happened after I had learned about this type of winch system some 50 years ago. We were down at the New Jersey Pine Barrens a lot during the 70`s, 80`s and into the 90`s and I remember one guy actually making fun of a Chevy K5 Blazer ( that had it`s spare mounted on the rack in back and it did have a smaller diameter half wheel welded to it along with the stud holes lining up) He was joking about someone being dumb enough to bring a air hose hanger with them 4 wheeling. He did get schooled about it and went on to tell the rest of the guys that were out with him that he knew what it was but was only joking to see their reaction

Last edited:

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Just to play devil's advocate, seems like there is already a round rotating thing you could wrap a rope around existing on the axle.

Toss a loose winch line under the tire, spin it to get it under the tire, tie it to itself? Still gotta anchor to something.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I mean, I believe it works, and it's quite a bit cheaper than a mounted winch.

HOWEVER

1. Even if your axles/wheels can handle it, is that *really* the part of your Jeep that you want to put additional strain on when you're out somewhere that you'd need this?
2. It's fine in sand, but if you're stuck in a water crossing or mud pit, that's NOT the tool I'm going to want to have.

A frame-mounted winch puts the strain on your frame - which can certainly handle it, in most cases. It's also easier to access if/when your vehicle is stuck, and is much more versatile (sand, mud, etc).
Nothing new, see stuff like this in use for years, all over the world but not for extracting your Jeep from shithole.

I saw an ad yesterday that Warn has their 10S WInches on sale for $269 off or buy this RubeGoldberg set up for only :

Complete Winch Kit for heavy 4WD vehicles

USD $468.18

Plus SHIPPING to the US

By the way, I seen the concept in use and have used it. ROPE around the tire itself!!!

Sponsored

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Really nothing new. There was the McCain Hub Winch and Winch Wheels from back in the day. I believe the old Land Rover Defenders had similar as an option.
Or there is this example.
Jeep Wrangler JL What's The Pros Opinion On the BushCraft RIM Winch System? 1699116988536

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
Saw this on a YouTube Coverage of SEMA 2023.

What makes me nervous and why I need some opinions from those who have a lot of experience using winch systems - wouldn't this create a LOT of pressure on the axle and hub? I would think that a center winch mounted on the JL Steel bumper offers a lot more stability and strength.

The explanation is very clever but the skeptic in me says that if it's too good to be true then....(you know the rest).

Thanks guys!

Twist On Drive Out System

Jeep Wrangler JL What's The Pros Opinion On the BushCraft RIM Winch System? 1699116988536
These types have been around for a long time. They can work but they are not as easy as they make it sound. For instance in that video they had the rope coming over the top to winch forward, but in order to tighten the line and spool it up the wheel would have had to be going in reverse. Any traction the tire made would have been working against the direction the winch was pulling. So one would have to be cognizant of the direction they wanted the tires to turn as well as how the line is spooled depending on what direction the anchor point is going to be.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
It's better than nothing.

It has the advantage if you're solo and you're in a place where you need to winch backward, and you don't have a front anchor point to do reverse winching, this would work.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Really nothing new. There was the McCain Hub Winch and Winch Wheels from back in the day. I believe the old Land Rover Defenders had similar as an option.
Or there is this example.
?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Tomfoolery for the cheapskate in 2023. But better than using a HiLift for a winch. Get a real winch.
Sponsored