What's the point of the 2.0t?

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
No thank you I will go with V6 wait for engine to go through it’s issues in first run
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Here in the mountains that little turbo will run circles around my pentastar. But the improvements to the V6 and the 8 speed were terrific. I just couldn’t wait. Lol
If I want a fast car I’ll go home and get my TT Lincoln.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
Some of us are power junkies haha. :)

Never enough!

That does bring up a good point that turbos will show bigger benefits in higher altitudes and colder weather. Additionally, better fuel means you get more out of the engine too. I think the 2.0 was a half hearted attempt though. They need a real high power option. Maybe the turbo6 from the Giulia.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Higher octane does not mean higher quality. Top tier is the best available indicator for quality, and it can be had in the lowest octane offering.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They don’t call it premium and ultra because it’s worse. You’re just being a nitpicky whino now.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
They don’t call it premium and ultra because it’s worse. You’re just being a nitpicky whino now.
No one is saying that "Premium" and "Ultra" are worse than "Regular" from the same gas station. However, these are marketing terms that only reflect octane rating, not quality of the fuel.

Top Tier is a good resource.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopeless. Higher octane is better. Just stop.

Yo Sam

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude
Exactly.

All those cost assume North American gas prices.
Also, assume prices wont go up in the next decade.
Also, countries that test MPG different than the U.S.
Also, countries that tax on engine displacement.
Also, countries that tax on co2/mile.

Also, long-term cost savings moving all the vehicles in FCA lineup to use the 2.0 primarily (with and without the turbo).

I fully expect the 3.6 to be gone around the mid-model refresh in 4 to 6 years, maybe sooner.
Yep, 3.6 replaced the 3.8 in what 2012 and now populates across several lines of cars trucks suvs, etc. Time to refresh for sure.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Automakers actually want to make premium fuel only vehicles because of the increased performance and decreased emissions. The only reason we don’t is because it’s more expensive. Higher octane(better) fuels are.. better. They just cost a little more. No amount of grasping at straws will change that. If you’re happy with an old fashioned low power V6 that’s cheap and runs on cheap low quality fuel that’s great. But it’s certainly not better than a higher quality fuel utilizing turbo.

If you’re not going to tune the car and don’t care about emissions and your main concern is cost I’d certainly recommend the pentastar over the 2.0. For most buyers the pentastar makes more sense.

If it were my money, I’d get the turbo. But, because it doesn’t come in a manual transmission I won’t be getting a wrangler. I’m looking at a Ram TRX in about 2 years or a Bronco Raptor. If I have to get an automatic I at least want a big engine.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Automakers actually want to make premium fuel only vehicles because of the increased performance and decreased emissions. The only reason we don’t is because it’s more expensive. Higher octane(better) fuels are.. better.
Higher octane has nothing to do with quality. A Top Tier 87 octane is in most cases, higher quality than an 89, 93, or another 87 that doesn't achieve that standard. Octane only refers to resistance to detonation. Some companies, like Shell or Exxon, might put more additives in the 93 that make it higher quality, but octane alone doesn't. Another company whose high octane premium fuel doesn't meet the Top Tier standard would love us to believe what you said.

Nitpicking? Maybe. But accuracy is important, especially when people make decisions with their hard earned money based on things they read here.

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
Higher octane has nothing to do with quality. A Top Tier 87 octane is in most cases, higher quality than an 89, 93, or another 87 that doesn't achieve that standard. Octane only refers to resistance to detonation. Some companies, like Shell or Exxon, might put more additives in the 93 that make it higher quality, but octane alone doesn't. Another company whose high octane premium fuel doesn't meet the Top Tier standard would love us to believe what you said.

Nitpicking? Maybe. But accuracy is important, especially when people make decisions with their hard earned money based on things they read here.
Yes. My understanding is that it's the same gasoline in 87 and 93. The 93 tank simply has a small amount of additive that modifies the burn properties. Those are the fuels delivered to most stations with 91 being produced at the pump by blending 87 and 93.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Just as long as the octane is right, the additives mean nothing. It has direct injection so the top tier additives won’t clean the valves. No more port injection. Octane matters. Anyone who owns or have owned DI turbo cars understand this. Especially tuned turbo cars. My Lincoln stock adds 20 HP with 91 over 87 octane. Burns cleaner, and less emissions. That’s why the manufacturers want you to run higher octane.

That said I still will use top tier fuel in my Pentastar. It still has port injection.