What's the point of the 2.0t?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
It's ridiculous to say that higher octane is higher quality, because consider fuels where ethanol is used to increase the octane. Ethanol is a less energy dense fuel, so despite the higher octane, you'll get less performance (all else equal).
Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
If FCA designed the engine properly it may equal the tried and true 3.6 durability and all will be well. Only time will tell.
It should be looked at as if the manufacturer made the naturally aspirated engine using quality components to withstand mechanical stress as if there were a turbo, it would last even longer. One way or another, a turbo reduces the reliability of an engine.

I can't find any hard evidence that modern turbos are less reliable than normally-aspirated engines (anyone have sources to the contrary?)
Yes, there's a source called physics :)

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
In 2019 or 2020 the 2.0T will replace the 3.6 as the base engine, mark ma words.
I think so too. They'll probably kill the 3.6L the year that they introduce the hybrid engine (think they mentioned 2022?).

They'll have 2.0T as base, then the Diesel and Hybrid as upgrade options. Ford did the same to their Mustang, they killed the V6 and are using their 4 cyl turbo Ecoboost motor as the base.

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think so too. They'll probably kill the 3.6L the year that they introduce the hybrid engine (think they mentioned 2022?).

They'll have 2.0T as base, then the Diesel and Hybrid as upgrade options. Ford did the same to their Mustang, they killed the V6 and are using their 4 cyl turbo Ecoboost motor as the base.
Didn't FCA say just last week that they were killing the diesels?

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I didn't think ECU adjustments were tied to NA/FI, but ok.
This. Many modern cars will have the ability to adjust timing on the fly based on knock sensors, regardless of whether it's NA or FI.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
How many models are there with diesels?
"Fiat will be a key piece of electrification in the European market, where the automaker plans to phase out diesels as governments weigh outright bans."

Looks like it's European market only.

Wouldn't make much sense for them to release a Diesel engine in 2019 only to remove it again 3 years later.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I ran the same cost/mile as the first post by @Threxx
I also have a '17 VW GTI, which is touted as a very good turbo engine with little turbo lag. I still can't get used to turbo lag; it not for me.
These reasons pushed me to order the V6

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I ran the same cost/mile as the first post by @Threxx
I also have a '17 VW GTI, which is touted as a very good turbo engine with little turbo lag. I still can't get used to turbo lag; it not for me.
These reasons pushed me to order the V6
2.0L uses a twin scroll turbo which reduces turbo lag. Also the eTorque will most likely eliminate it completely.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
When an electric car can go 300 miles without a stop for more than three minutes to top up, let me know; until then I'm not interested.
As far as I'm concerned, it's all a matter of energy density. Even at 15 mpg, I could carry enough fuel in a Wrangler to be able to go 2000 miles without refueling. You would only need a tank of around 3'x3'x2' and that should fit in the rear seat and cargo area of a Wrangler. I don't see that happening with a fully electric vehicle anytime soon. And besides, where I live, *water* happens... I don't want a high voltage electric vehicle when the water starts rising.

rtx3dl7m-e1503931515820.jpg

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Putting ethanol in our fuel supply is a waste of perfectly good corn squeezins.

If you really want to save gasoline, put the ethanol in the drivers of those vehicles instead. They'll be sleeping and not driving, thus gasoline will be saved. :)

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Fiat is phasing out diesel *automobiles* (which are only sold in Europe), not diesel *trucks*. They still intend to continue selling diesel trucks. They consider Jeep vehicles to be trucks, not automobiles.

Fuel economy standards are what's pushing automakers to small turbo engines. BSG is used not only for fuel economy gains but to eliminate some of the turbo lag that has led to turbos getting a poor reputation in some quarters. The fact that the 2.0L is not competitive with the 3.6L on a cost-per-mile basis right now is irrelevant to FCA, they need those fuel economy credits.

I intend to buy the 3.6L when it's time to upgrade to a JL, but that is because I'm paranoid about new technology. The 3.6L is currently on its third revision (if you count the new cylinder head and oil filter housing as a revision), it is by this time a refined and time-proven engine. The same is not true of the 2.0L. That said, FCA is betting a lot on the 2.0L, and I suspect it's going to be more reliable than my worst fears. But we *know* the 3.6L is reliable.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Does anyone have a 2.0 to tell us how their city/hwy mpg stacks up against the 3.6? My wife’s 3.6L JLUS averages 22-23 (mostly highway driven).
Sponsored