Sponsored

What's the most EXPENSIVE modification/mistake you're made?

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
I searched and see lots of threads on cheapest, best, and worst mods. But nothing on helping us avoid the expensive mistakes that we've made. I haven't owned a jeep since 2010 and would like to avoid some big oopses that others have already paid the price for.
Sponsored

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
Wouldn't say its most expensive but I didn't relocate my steering stabilizer after upgrading it. Bashed it on rocks and bent it so now I am replacing it along with relocating it.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
@commbubba19 Heath: the most expensive mistake I made wasn't that pricey, but I'll contribute it so others don't make it as well.

When I bought my Sahara in '18 proximity locks were optional. I've since spent the money and time to add this functionality but in hindsight I think it would have made sense to pay for them on my factory order.

At the time of my purchase I had a bit of a mindset that made the features I prioritized different than they might have been had I ordered a sedan. I don't mean to imply my Sahara was stripped, but I think the idea that I was buying a somewhat more rugged vehicle informed my "we don't need no stinkin' proximity locks" mindset.

The fact is, Wranglers haul stuff. And that stuff often occupies one if not both of the owner's arms.

Given that the thread on how to add this functionality has enjoyed some of the widest posting on the forum, I think many others, but certainly not all, agree.

Proximity locks, IMHO, are worth it at purchase for this reason: I believe now a Sahara standard feature.

My $0.02.

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

most expensive mistake will beat all. $34k on a base sport. should have spent the extra lol.

other than that, i havent done anything to my jeep that i regret, and its pretty well modded. the key is to not be impulsive (like when i bought my jeep lol!) and to take your time doing plenty of research and shopping.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Buy once, cry once.

Lots of money wasted on things to be replaced by better versions. Only the wheels and rear track bar are left from my first setup.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Spend the money on good tools. Not my JL, but my KL - went to put Mopar rock rails on it and it uses rivnuts. I was too cheap to buy a rivnut gun and opted to just use the free "tool" that comes with the kit. Big mistake, torque spec in the instructions to expand the rivnuts was off. They only partially expanded and then wallowed out the body holes when I tried to bolt the sliders on. Got pissed off and chucked the rails since I now had half a dozen mutilated riv nuts and holes that couldn't reliably hold them, rendering the whole thing useless. All because I was cheap and followed directions using a free tool instead of just buying a nice tool and ensuring it was 100% a done job. At least the stock plastic cladding fit back in after buying some oversized plastic clips. All told, a bit over a grand wasted? 1500 maybe?

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Disconnectable sway bar links (JKS)
- i know ppl love these, but I am so lazy and the effort taken in the trail was too much..and I was able to hear the mild rattle/ding sounds in fire roads that was driving me nuts

If I had known what I know today, I would have bought a Gladiator Rubicon

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Buying a 2019 Wrangler JLU with a manual clutch. I've been driving manual clutches for nearly 40 years, this is also my 4th wrangler. I've had TWO go out. Now I'm waiting for the shop to install a Centerforce clutch. I've been waiting since August 1st. I don't have a second car. I've been biking 11-15 miles/day/6 days/week. I'm a USPS mail carrier and my tiny PO is at the other end of a 5.something bike trail. I don't mind the exercise but I WANT MY JEEP back.

Should have gotten the automatic transmission. 😭😭😭

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
I don't know if this counts, but I had my JL for about a month, and only a few hundred/thousand KMs. I was loading a button maker into the back seat (I work in a school - and my supervisor has all kinds of cool 'tools' to use with the students). I went to rest the button maker on the rear fender flare, but moved it too much and put a HUGE dent in the tub. That sounds bad, but that's not the worst of it...

Because I am cheap, I tried to fix it myself using a dent remover kit. I got it 'close,' but not perfect. I kept trying, until I stood back and realized I made almost the entire quarter panel wavy.

...I've now got a proper quote to get it fixed (when I get some money ahead) and it will cost me $250 to fix.
Sponsored