Sponsored

What's the longest trip you've ever taken on your Wrangler?

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I am planning to take a couple of trips in the near future but I want to make sure the Wrangler can handle long distance drives. This is probably not a good idea but I'm thinking of taking it south of the border to Mexico City all the way from Chicago, IL. It's not a for sure but I might do it this upcoming December.

The thing i fear the most is getting hijacked and killed by the Narcos just so they can have an off-road vehicle for their business :cwl::crying::jk::flag:
Sponsored

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
That is quite a long way. Longest for me was not bad - Atlanta, GA to Natchez, MS...... in my YJ. I would not do that again. I would, however, take the drive you mentioned in my JLU. I think it rides almost as well as my 2011 Tahoe did.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I did Atlanta to Dallas in my JY.

The biggest issue was I spent the night in a questionable hotel in Jackson, MS right off the highway. I was moving to Dallas so my soft top Jeep was full of all my crap in the parking lot. I parked it under a street lamp and slept with one eye open all night.

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Driving through Sonora and Sinaloa in a new Jeep, in my opinion, is a very bad idea, you will very likely be targeted and get highjacked. I do not know about the Center or East side of Mexico though.
Going down the Baja to Cabo San Lucas is very safe, when I would bring cars down for customers I would go to La Paz (2hrs north of Cabo San Lucas) and cross it over in a boat to skip as much of Sinaloa as I possibly could.

Before you cross into Mexico, make sure you get full coverage for your car, I highly recommend "Qualitas" (When you go in the US for the insurance as whats the name of the insurance company in Mexico) I find Qualitas to be the best BS free car insurance in Mexico, also because you are going to enter a non-"Fronterizo" State (a state not touching USA) you need to get a temporary importation permit for your car, you can generally get these at certain banks as soon as you enter Mexico and right before you leave the boarding state.

Sponsored

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
I did a three week road trip with 2 buddies in a 2012 JK. Rochester, NY --> Thousand Islands, NY --> Adirondacks --> Washington, D.C. --> Outer Banks, NC -> Savannah, GA --> Sarasota, FL --> Raleigh, NC --> D.C. --> Rochester, NY.

Never had a single issue and often slept in the car. Had the top down virtually the entire trip. Would do it again in a heart beat if I had the time.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Driving through Sonora and Sinaloa in a new Jeep, in my opinion, is a very bad idea, you will very likely be targeted and get highjacked. I do not know about the Center or East side of Mexico though.
Going down the Baja to Cabo San Lucas is very safe, when I would bring cars down for customers I would go to La Paz (2hrs north of Cabo San Lucas) and cross it over in a boat to skip as much of Sinaloa as I possibly could.

Before you cross into Mexico, make sure you get full coverage for your car, I highly recommend "Qualitas" (When you go in the US for the insurance as whats the name of the insurance company in Mexico) I find Qualitas to be the best BS free car insurance in Mexico, also because you are going to enter a non-"Fronterizo" State (a state not touching USA) you need to get a temporary importation permit for your car, you can generally get these at certain banks as soon as you enter Mexico and right before you leave the boarding state.
Wow. Really excellent advice!

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase

Awesome advice, I kinda figured west side was rough. Most likely I would cross East since it's closer to Illinois, so Nuevo Leon. I have Statefarm and Gap insurance. Not sure if GAP works in other countries tho

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I took my 2007 JK from Washington DC to Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri (about 2 hrs from St Louis) and my 2008 JKU from FLW, Missouri to Tacoma, WA when I moved in the Army.

Sponsored

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
7 hour drive on the JL the day I got it from PA to Toronto...it rained all the way there and back. About 700 miles altogether, and about 2 and a half tanks of gas altogether.

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Awesome advice, I kinda figured west side was rough. Most likely I would cross East since it's closer to Illinois, so Nuevo Leon. I have Statefarm and Gap insurance. Not sure if GAP works in other countries tho
Statefarm may go up to 50miles south of the border and even then it might be sketchy, the good news is that insurance in Mexico isn't that expensive, I insure my JK every year for about $400 for a full year with full coverage. the negative is Mexico has bad deductibles, it's generally based on the value of the car something like 5% on damage and 10% on theft, (say your car is worth 40k, so damage is 2k and theft is a 4k deductible), another huge benefit is their legal representation, which in most events keeps you out of jail until things are figured out or just makes the process so much better.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
One of the objectives behind my 2010 JK purchase was to allow me to go wheeling in Colorado once a year, which I have largely done. That’s 1200 miles (1900km) one way, and while it’s usually a 2 day trip, I’ve done it as a one day continuous drive a number of times. It was fine.

I anticipate continuing this with the JL and don’t anticipate any issues.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Went from SLC to St. George and back for a 4-wheeling trip in a lifted YJ once. 300 miles each way I believe.

That thing was not fun to be in for 4-5 hours at a time at high Utah highway speeds lol.
Sponsored