Sponsored

What's the hook thing in the front floorboard?

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
@nealwiley

You undoubtedly are talking about the gizmo of sorts... the retainers (2 on driver's side and two in front passenger footwell) attached to the surface of the carpeting.... that are designed to secure the floor liners / floor mats to the floor so they do not blow out of the Wrangler or move around, causing a safety issue, etc..

Yes, there are 2 holes in the mat/floorliner that are the females that mate up to the 2 males found on the carpet.

Part # / Pic of the one in a JL... JK has a different one..
s-l1600.jpg

You can see the 2 females on the installed Bestop floor liner with the retainers plugged into each (2)..
sticker.jpg
Hey… not to thread hijack, but what floor liner is that showing a cool Rubicon badge and not the awful green Quadratec, or the other brands, logos?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hey… not to thread hijack, but what floor liner is that showing a cool Rubicon badge and not the awful green Quadratec, or the other brands, logos?
Bestop front floor liners for JL.
Quality sticker saying Rubicon applied.

Same sticker would work with Quadratec liners.

OP
OP

nealwiley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 dr, 2015 Willys 2 dr.
The 2 small holes attach the mat to the floor, as explained earlier. The big hole is the mat drain hole that lines up with the drain hole in the carpet and floor. There will be a precut section of the carpet directly under the hole. It's still attached on both sides. Pull those off, then pull the drain plugs out. The mat will fit into the hole, then the drain plug will go into the big hole in the mat.

I think... I'm still not certain exactly what you're asking, but I think this answers your question.
Thank you, Should have figured that out! Getting old...

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It’s the letter J. It’s just for looks.

This SA response brought to you by the letters e,e,p and the number 7.

Deleted member 53226

I know just have not done it yet.... What are the holes for?
I never knew Jeeps had some many holes and hooks. I don't know what holes and hooks we are all supposed to be talking about, but I say just grab a sledgehammer and smash the hell out whatever thing you don't understand. It's the only way to settle this.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I never knew Jeeps had some many holes and hooks. I don't know what holes and hooks we are all supposed to be talking about, but I say just grab a sledgehammer and smash the hell out whatever thing you don't understand. It's the only way to settle this.

That approach didn't work well with some of the other things I didn't understand. Take the computamaflachie thing here. The girliest punch totally didn't help my understanding of slow upload speeds. In fact... :facepalm:

I didn't understand why the wasp kept building nest by the front door. I used a tennis racket in leu of the sledge hammer for that one. It was a battle and I won, eventually. The neighbors came out to see why I was flailing about in the yard... with big zits on my face. I guess they couldn't see the wasp. Would have helped when human services appeared.

However, I do see a few things I don't understand that a sledge hammer seems completely appropriate. CRT comes to mind right off the bat.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Beat it to fit, paint it to match…
Good to go!

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Remove the rubber mats and cut off the zip ties. They are not supposed to be there.

I don't see any hooks. If you are referring to the oval shape, this is a drain plug for when you hose out the vehicle.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
If it makes you feel any better, I had no clue what these were for, and when you asked about "hook things" I knew what you meant. They look like the anchor point things for child seats. Until I removed one of the mats, I didn't even realize they weren't part of the floor.

I'm glad I figured this out before winter got here.. I need to plug these drain holes.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Before you pull any of the carpet and drain plugs out, I heard that the factory floor mats don't seal well against the underside of the tub and can cause water to get in. It gets stuck between the floor mat and tub, getting the carpet and padding soaked.

Can anybody comment if this is an issue?

Source:

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Before you pull any of the carpet and drain plugs out, I heard that the factory floor mats don't seal well against the underside of the tub and can cause water to get in. It gets stuck between the floor mat and tub, getting the carpet and padding soaked.

Can anybody comment if this is an issue?

Source:
I put them in and noticed the seal had some play in it (even with the supposed upgraded ones that have the foam gasket). So I put them back in the tub. Figured I'd have to pull the carpet if I need to hose it out anyway, so I can just pull the plugs too.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I’ve never forded enough water to test for the leaky drain plug issue, but those plugs sure are handy when the doors are off and it rains unexpectedly. Granted I probably have my doors off more than most people...