What's the hold up? Let's speculate...

Bill Reiter

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Toyota FJ Cruiser; '08 Yukon; '05 CTS-V
I'll take slightly lower mpg and range over lower HP and torque! I like the hybrid's mpg and range figures, but the power is much more of a factor in why I am buying.
Sponsored

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
The seemingly revised 22 mile all-electric range still gets to me and from work without gas, but it's getting closer. The 4xe page on the Jeep USA site still references the original 25/400 mile ranges for the time being.
I don't have to go into the office often, but it's just under a 21-mile commute when I do. The original 25 mile range gave me a comfortable-enough buffer over my mental "minimum" cutoff, to account for less-than-ideal conditions and still not need to use any gas. 22 miles doesn't give me that same comfort. Sure, it'll realistically cost me all of a couple bucks more per month in gas than I expected to spend. But still a little annoying if it'll likely fall juuuust short of a pure battery-only commute every single time.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
So, If they did actually lower the KW rating of the battery to 16 after they sold us on 17 promoting us to order, we have been deceived and everybody making the decision whether or not it was do to the combined performance/value experience is ..LOOSING $413.00 . This is calculated using the formula on form IRC 30D. in federal tax credit plus potentially more if they have a state tax credit! Personally, the overly optimistic estimated performance error is one thing but if they reduced battery capacity and performance less than advertised I think they owe us something. Especially when it literally takes money out of our packet when we ordered acting in good faith on their provided information.

Last edited:

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
So, If they did actually lower the KW rating of the battery to 16 after they sold us on 17 promoting us to order, we have been deceived and everybody making the decision whether or not it was do to the combined performance/value experience is ..LOOSING $413.00 . This is calculated using the formula on form IRC 30D. in federal tax credit plus potentially more if they have a state tax credit! Personally, the overly optimistic estimated performance error is one thing but if they reduced battery capacity and performance less than advertised I think they owe us something. Especially when it literally takes money out of our packet when we ordered acting in good faith on their provided information.
And of course, if you read the fine print, they state they reserve the right to make changes at any time to specifications, pricing, etc.

Mcwilldo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
It is interesting that Jeep USA site still shows the higher horsepower and torque stats, while Jeep.ca has the lower numbers. It is possible that the export Jeep’s have some kind of emissions requirement that domestic ones do not, and that is lowering numbers.

Or perhaps since the 4xe produces as much torque as the 392 (which costs many many thousands more) that Jeep decided to dial the 4xe back so they can claim the 392 as the top dog.

Sponsored

masch57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport S
FWIW: 16kWh is the size of the Pacifica Hybrid battery. Maybe they found some economy there.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I think I may of read somewhere that that the battery was 16.8 kw but the German site is 17.3 kw so who knows

While all these number may not be game changing they are an issue. If Jeep has to change the MPG and range of the battery after all the testing they supposedly have done, I say we may have some problems. Honestly seeing these as "green" may be a little of a stretch.

I do think the city MPG will still be better and honestly that is where many of use the most fuel. Hybrids just do better in stop and go traffic even without the all electric mode.

There may also be an issue of the first models coming out for testing being Rubicons. With gearing and bigger tires they will get less mileage. Pretty sure the guys running all gas rigs get less MPG in stock Rubicons than the base models.

Now as for lower HP and torque numbers being thrown out. It could be a couple things. One is Canada may simply test differently than the States does. I think that is unlikely but a possibility. Another option is they are programming the engines to be less powerful to try and get the mileage up. With modern cars it is pretty simple to do.

KaiyaKai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 4XE
Has anyone see the battery for the EV mode listed on their buildsheets? I have a "600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery" on mine but I don't think that's the same thing, is it?

Mcwilldo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Has anyone see the battery for the EV mode listed on their buildsheets? I have a "600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery" on mine but I don't think that's the same thing, is it?
That is your standard car battery every Jeep has.

Sponsored

KaiyaKai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 4XE
That is your standard car battery every Jeep has.
That's what I figured.

Actually, mine has a 700 Amp Maintenance Free Battery :/ But yes, that has nothing to do with your main battery pack.
Larger battery for a Rubicon, correct?

But still, no one has any mention of the EV battery in their buildsheet, correct?

Mcwilldo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
That's what I figured.

But still, no one has any mention of the EV battery in their buildsheet, correct?
Larger battery comes with tow package. My build sheet does not mention EV battery pack

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
That's what I figured.

I looked for that last night on mine and it is not listed.

Bohunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
I looked for that last night on mine and it is not listed.
No mention of the EV battery on my build sheet. Also noticed the "Alternator Delete", so these vehicles will not have alternators. This brings up the question why is the tow package still a $795 upgrade? In the regular packages, it comes with an upgraded alternator when you get the package. Seems we should get a discount since we do not even have an alternator.
Sponsored