Sponsored

What's the hold up? Let's speculate...

eLECTRICON

Seems like many 4xes are now built and sitting in storage - including mine. No one can seem to get a straight answer on what's going on.

Here's what we do know...
1) EPA still has not posted MPG for the 4xe on their site (https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Pow...del=Wrangler&srchtyp=ymm&pageno=1&rowLimit=50)
2) As a result, window stickers can't be produced and cars can't be delivered
3) 4xe was supposed to arrive at the end of december

So based on that, here's a hypothesis:
1) EPA did their initial MPG rating on the 4xe, but Jeep was not happy with the result - and given how important this launch is for them, they need to figure out how to get as close as possible to the 50 mpge that they've been marketing
2) Jeep is now making changes to the software to try and improve the EPA test results
3) Once software is updated, EPA tests and Jeep is happy, then all cars in storage will be updated with new software and then will be shipped
4) Why is it taking so long? I bet Jeep engineers and ZF engineers are fighting over how to improve their numbers and their software CI/CD process is likely not agile

Could be in for a long wait... or short, who knows...

Other ideas?
Well if they give me mine, I can tell them what it is!!!!!
Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Three years ago when the first 2.0 mild hybrids were made, they were put in storage for a few months. While they were in storage some of them spontaneously combusted. This caused Jeep to re-engineer a heat shield underneath that was supposed to prevent the problem. My guess is these things are in storage so they see if they catch on fire or not?
It's a Jeep .... odds are in favor of fire.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Correcting myself here. I just spotted this US build posted to cryptostickers just yesterday...

If you‘re in LA, and ordered a Sahara 4xe with tan soft top on 1/2/21, your Snazzberry milkshake is almost ready: https://cryptostickers.net/default?nick=4xeS
This sort of supports MPG concerns. I would think the Sahara gets better mileage due to lack of lockers and other heavy off-road specific Rubicon stuff (yes, that's a technical term).

gman123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60, Volvo S60, Ordered 4XE Sahara
Jeep chat confirmed to me that it’s a 17.3kwh battery

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
FINALLY something that seems likely...well the MPG reason is realistic too, but a battery issue sounds even more likely. So I was able to get my issue (12/1 order and still not built) escalated up to a "case number" and of course the person contacted me today all excited to tell me THE EXACT SAME THING I'VE BEEN HEARING FROM JEEP CHAT FOR THE PAST FIVE WEEKS! so that wasn't helpful at all. I responded back though and said this is the same info I've been getting and I wanted to know why there is a delay across the whole model and why is it that my order from 12/1 is so much farther behind other who ordered a month or later after.

So, I'm going to sit here and hold my breath waiting for a better response......NOT! hahah

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
FINALLY something that seems likely...well the MPG reason is realistic too, but a battery issue sounds even more likely. So I was able to get my issue (12/1 order and still not built) escalated up to a "case number" and of course the person contacted me today all excited to tell me THE EXACT SAME THING I'VE BEEN HEARING FROM JEEP CHAT FOR THE PAST FIVE WEEKS! so that wasn't helpful at all. I responded back though and said this is the same info I've been getting and I wanted to know why there is a delay across the whole model and why is it that my order from 12/1 is so much farther behind other who ordered a month or later after.

So, I'm going to sit here and hold my breath waiting for a better response......NOT! hahah
Yeah that's par for the course. The case manager becomes nothing more than a weekly email that gives you the same status Jeep Chat does and then keeps saying Congratulations until you realize you're talking to a corporate brick wall.

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
haha, I can tell this isn't your first vehicle order rodeo! Exactly, I've been congratulated to death and I've gotten virtually nothing helpful from anyone. It seems that for someone who is eager to throw $50K+ money at them as fast they will let me that I/we would get more insight into what is going on.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
So I ordered a Nacho Rubi 4xe on 2/1 and got the VIN the next day or so. Dealer told me today it was in paint and that the estimated ship date of 3/2 had changed to 2/26. I told him that, based on the discussions here, I wasn't holding my breath and expected it to join the crowd in storage.

Jamie Brown

First Name
Jamie Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 3500AT4, Nissan Leaf, RAM 4500
Dealer told me today that Jeep keeps 1000+ units in storage at any given time. Said it is common for that many to be sitting around the lots in Toledo. Anyone here confirm what he is saying?

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Dealer told me today that Jeep keeps 1000+ units in storage at any given time. Said it is common for that many to be sitting around the lots in Toledo. Anyone here confirm what he is saying?
I'd agree if they weren't units sold to customers.

Sponsored

BiscuitEater

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
I'd agree if they weren't units sold to customers.
My dealer said the same. I’m a first time buyer so please take this from a noob....but was told that they build enough for dealerships to have a few in addition to sold units.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Would be hilarious if the delay turns out to be caused by something superbly dumb. For example, my build sheet shows a red trail-rated badge instead of the blue one shown throughout their marketing materials. With how seemingly inefficiently these things go, maybe they had to bring in all the accountants, lawyers, management, focus groups, etc., in order to determine the best course of action in dealing with a wrong-color badge. 🤷‍♀️

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Would be hilarious if the delay turns out to be caused by something superbly dumb. For example, my build sheet shows a red trail-rated badge instead of the blue one shown throughout their marketing materials. With how seemingly inefficiently these things go, maybe they had to bring in all the accountants, lawyers, management, focus groups, etc., in order to determine the best course of action in dealing with a wrong-color badge. 🤷‍♀️
Heh.. I think they delivered the first ecodiesels with sticker badges instead of hard badges... so doubt it would be that.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Got the notification from crypto that my build sheet was found. Read through it and found an interesting discrepancy. When I worked up my build, the Dual Top Group included the body color top, so I didn't specify that in particular. The build sheet says black hard top, and the online build tool now makes you choose between black and body color and the body color top is now $1400 extra. Not sure how I feel about that.

DowntownTaco

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.auffenbergcdjr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE, 2022 392 XR
Occupation
Jeep Sales
You guys may have been on the right track with EPA guesses. I say this because I know Jeep was really marketing the 400 miles of range, but some documents released today are showing 370 miles of total range. Others are showing 400. Really not sure what to make of it.
Sponsored