Sponsored

What's the hardest Jeep mod/install you've ever done?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Remember back in the days before youtube?
Yes. Remember Chilton and Haynes service manuals? They had to get things right, unlike YouTube, which has no vetting process.

Now, the kids have to pay expensive subscription fees to buy expiring access to repair data on a screen. Ours was on the printed page for a fraction of the cost. It never required booting up or downloading, nor did it ever crash.

The Old Days weren't as bad as some would make them out to be. The New Days aren't as better as some would suggest they are.

There's something t-shirt worthy for all and sundry. ;)

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Not necessarily the hardest, but my most hated - oil filter housing/cooler on the 3.6. That stupid intake manifold is the bane of my existence for both that job and the spark plugs. So many little brackets and plastic clips. And, on a lifted Jeep, the engine bay is tall enough I always bruise my sternum leaning over on it for however long it takes to get it done. At 6'3" I'm too tall to kneel on it and reach things, so standing on a step stool and leaning over the engine is how it has to be. If a buddy provides the beer, I'll do the job, but it's because it's a beer with a buddy, not because it's an enjoyable job.
I am taking on this challenge Labor Day weekend. I am swapping my stock radiator for the cold case, replacing all the main hoses and thermostat. Since I will have the coolant drained I will also replace the spark plugs and replace the plastic oil filter cooler housing with the aluminum Dorman version. 3.5" lifted Jeep in the warmth of summer in Arizona. Should be a party. I will pull the Jeep partially into the garage to keep my redheaded self from self-immolation.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
It wasn’t the hardest, but installing the Mopar aux switch kit. Passing the harness through the firewall on the passenger side was a major PITA.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I am taking on this challenge Labor Day weekend. I am swapping my stock radiator for the cold case, replacing all the main hoses and thermostat. Since I will have the coolant drained I will also replace the spark plugs and replace the plastic oil filter cooler housing with the aluminum Dorman version. 3.5" lifted Jeep in the warmth of summer in Arizona. Should be a party. I will pull the Jeep partially into the garage to keep my redheaded self from self-immolation.
Doing the filter housing with the coolant drained is the way to go. Sucking all of the coolant out of the little cubbies in the engine valley is a pain lol

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. Remember Chilton and Haynes service manuals? They had to get things right, unlike YouTube, which has no vetting process.

Now, the kids have to pay expensive subscription fees to buy expiring access to repair data on a screen. Ours was on the printed page for a fraction of the cost. It never required booting up or downloading, nor did it ever crash.

The Old Days weren't as bad as some would make them out to be. The New Days aren't as better as some would suggest they are.

speaking of Haynes manuals I have my 1991 explorer one.

also my corellian yt1300 Haynes manual so I can make sure to fix that hyperdrive correctly.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I remember Chilton and Haynes. I will take Youtube any day on any repair. Sure you have to watch a few to 'get it' but the old books aren't even close in being helpful.

Sponsored

LTZ470

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep 392
Magnuson Supercharger prototype with no instructions....

The good: It was only $4700....

Last edited:

BillyBaroo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I bought my wife some auto folding side steps to replace her rock rails on her 2023 2 door Rubicon. I will not mention the brand but the instruction were terrible and most of the parts did not match list in the instructions. It seems they had updated a lot of them and never updated the instructions. I tried all one day to figure out what went where. I finally gave up and packed up the kit and returned it. The one good thing is that they paid for the return and it cost me nothing. I think they knew there was an issue with the instructions. All that was needed was better pictured instruction.
Sponsored