Sponsored

What's the hardest Jeep mod/install you've ever done?

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Custom Fabricated Shackle Mounts for my stock metal front bumper. Building them wasn't the hard part, attaching them with Grade 8 hardware to replace the stock was a PITA. Tight spaces to feed the bolts through, and on one I had literally one flat of a box end wrench movement to tighten the nut - I got ratcheting box ends right after that mod... They are powder coated now along with lots of other custom made goodies on the front bumper. This was also one of my first mods to the beast.

JLUR Custom Shackle Mounts.jpg
*Drool*. I want one like this! Have the winch installed in mine. I'd buy these!
Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Hardest mod??? Trading it in…

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Walk me through the hardest installs you've done through your Jeep ownership.
For me it was the AMP XL running boards. Getting to the wiring on the passenger side kick panels was no fun at ALL.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Remember back in the days before youtube?
Damn, trying to figure some of this stuff out just wingin' it??
So many trial & error shade tree wrenching jobs back in the day and didn't have nearly as many "specialty" tools like wobble socket adapters, ball joint swivel sockets, etc. Just had to make it work many times. Also didn't have digital cameras/phones where you could just take a picture of a mess of parts and piece things back together.

Never a good sign putting something back together and having leftover or missing parts. Luckily never had a repair that came back on me so must have been living lucky :)

You kids got it too easy lol :)

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
*Drool*. I want one like this! Have the winch installed in mine. I'd buy these!
The aftermarket points that mount UNDER the bumper would really suck in mud... I could see these becoming a thing if they were easier to install and didn't require removal of some of the safety stuff (the crash cans that from my understanding help absorb impact in low-speed collisions and may prevent the airbags from deploying by softening the shock). It can't be worse than a full aftermarket steel bumper.

Sponsored

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
Not on my JL, but on my 5.2L ZJ... I replaced the intake plenum with a solid, aftermarket aluminum plate. That, or doing a SYE on my TJ (stupid snap rings).

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
The lift kit was a bunch of work but fun. Bumpers and winch were clunky to hang solo but still fun. Hardest mod was removing and installing the front fenders. It doesn’t matter what you do, if they want to be difficult, you might as well get ready for a long night.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hardest mod was removing and installing the front fenders. It doesn’t matter what you do, if they want to be difficult, you might as well get ready for a long night.
Just remove a couple bolts then pull like hell, then deal w/ the bloodbath later :)

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
The aftermarket points that mount UNDER the bumper would really suck in mud... I could see these becoming a thing if they were easier to install and didn't require removal of some of the safety stuff (the crash cans that from my understanding help absorb impact in low-speed collisions and may prevent the airbags from deploying by softening the shock). It can't be worse than a full aftermarket steel bumper.
Not just mud - they'd get hung up in rocks too. I really like this mount, a lot better. (Remniscent of the Genright Aluminum front bumper on my JK w/ steel D ring attachment points protruding through)

Sponsored

RTJ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited
Installing this 10" light bar (because I'm an idiot and dropped ONE stupid little special bolt and it found a way to wedge itself in between the skid plate and bumper... So I had to remove the whole bumper and the winch to get to it... :facepalm:).

1659635404767.png
My condolences. Been there.🥴

RTJ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited
Nah, it's easy to install!

Just move the seat all the way back, recline it as much as possible, lay down on on the driver seat on your back upside down, arch your back...
Viola! Two free hands and eyeballs right where you need them!

When you're done, reach for a cell phone and call in a rescue team for a vehicle extraction.
If you crawl the front end up just a foot your brain will thank you.

Conman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Steer Smarts YETI XD Sector Shaft Brace with Frame Side Track Bar Reinforcement Bracket. It's hard to type too.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link