Sponsored

What's the difference between the two factory soft tops?

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
So, as the title states, I want to know what the difference is between the two factory soft tops. I am planning on buying one for my JLU as I want a soft top for the summer. I expect the premium one is a thicker material.

But is it worth the extra $500+?

Is it quieter on the road?

Are the beams stronger or something?

Is it easier to put up/down?

Why should I spend the extra for the better top?
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
You shouldn't spend more, get the regular one, or even a bestop.

I drove one with the premium top, I noticed zero difference in noise lvl
Premium is thicker, but not a drastic amount
It is also a different material.
I personally liked the non premium one.

But I am sure someone with a premium will chime in and let you know how superior their top is compared to the non premium because it costs more.

get the regular one and spend the money you saved on a nice sun shade
it is a soft top, it should be down whenever it isn't raining IMO

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
But I am sure someone with a premium will chime in and let you know how superior their top is compared to the non premium because it costs more.
I ordered the dual top and the premium top is far superior to the nasty cheaper version of the soft top; so don't be a peasant a go cheap on us.... now that we are all on the same page...

I have JK that uses the same material as the non premium top on the JL. It is fine, no noticeable noise difference. The non-premium will fade and will look more grey over time where as the premium will hold up better and stay black. The premium is a higher quality top. If you are going to run the soft top full time I would suggest it as durability seems greater vs my jk top.

I am not sure if the non premium comes with the top assist features the premium has. If it does, great, if not that is worth it alone. My 108# wife can toss the top back and forth no problem. It is wayyyyy easier to fold back and take off than the JK soft top.

Light Brite did a video on the differences as well. I'd tag them on the post but i can't remember Kevin's user name.

I do highly recommend getting a Spiderweb Shade either way. Makes Texas sun much more tolerable.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I stopped scrolling once I got to Texas_Yote's post. Wow. :involve:

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Premium is twill ( fabric like) vs vinyl. Twill is more abrasion resistant , folds better, little thicker ( think beefier) , and less resistant to fading.

I believe the mechanism is the same, but not positive. I remember reading somewhere on Jeep site that premium top is easier to open and close for some reason.

That being said, I love my premium top. Easy to open and close, seems very thick to me.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Would the Twill top be easier to put windows back in in cold/ cool weather? I like top down in cold weather, as long as sun is shining, and found fabric would shrink, making use in anything less than 70° difficult...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
You shouldn't spend more, get the regular one, or even a bestop.

I drove one with the premium top, I noticed zero difference in noise lvl
Premium is thicker, but not a drastic amount
It is also a different material.
I personally liked the non premium one.

get the regular one and spend the money you saved on a nice sun shade
it is a soft top, it should be down whenever it isn't raining IMO
ppc-sins-envy-emperor-palpatine-meme.jpg?k3pHpFfbJ8EiHUadR3sQK03kRem..jpg

@Milk Money - the standard top is vinyl, has a grey interior, and is prone to ripping. The upgrade is money well spent.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-bow-supports-ripped.10981/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/attention-soft-top-owners-possible-ripping.14474/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/premium-or-standard-soft-top.7350/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/premium-vs-non-premium-soft-top.3748/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/premium-soft-top.2672/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/premium-soft-top-experiences.13769/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/who-is-driving-with-the-premium-soft-top.3076/

OP
OP
Milk Money

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
I have now been introduced to Lite Brite. My jeeping will never be the same...
I stopped scrolling once I got to Texas_Yote's post. Wow. :involve:

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I am totally buying the Premium top now, you guys are right.

This vinyl top is for peasants, and the grey backing is really unacceptable.
Also I need to lower the road noise when the top is up by 4 decibles, I can't even hear myself fart with this damn top on.
You should definitely buy the more expensive one to use for 2-3 months in MI

My 1 yr old vinyl top is all messed up after I drove through an army of ninjas throwing Chinese stars at me, and it will probably not last more than 2 years and be all faded because I don't take care of it and condition it when I wash the jeep.

I should have gotten the "Premium" one, I just cannot deal with this envy I have of "premium" top owners.

totally joking incase anyone thinks I actually GAF

Get what one you want, but the vinyl top is completely adequate for what you need it for, take care of it and enjoy.

Sponsored

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
My 1 yr old vinyl top is all messed up after I drove through an army of ninjas throwing Chinese stars at me, and it will probably not last more than 2 years and be all faded because I don't take care of it and condition it when I wash the jeep.
Ninjas are no joke brah! Those MFR's do werk to vinyl tops!

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I bought the standard top. I didnt think the extra $$$ was worth it for a top that I will only have on in summer.

The top was tight to latch the first week. After that the it stretched a little and latching is a breeze. Ive driven both and thought the twill "might" be a little quieter at speed.

But the main reason I wanted a soft top was to be able to put it up if it rains. Any other time, I will not care how loud the top is because it will be down anyway.

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I am totally buying the Premium top now, you guys are right.

This vinyl top is for peasants, and the grey backing is really unacceptable.
Also I need to lower the road noise when the top is up by 4 decibles, I can't even hear myself fart with this damn top on.
You should definitely buy the more expensive one to use for 2-3 months in MI

I should have gotten the "Premium" one, I just cannot deal with this envy I have of "premium" top owners.

totally joking incase anyone thinks I actually GAF

Get what one you want, but the vinyl top is completely adequate for what you need it for, take care of it and enjoy.
Damn..the op is only looking for advice. Me thinks you DO gaf. Lol

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Let's be real on numerous fronts here:

-This has been asked probably more times than anything else in this forum lol
-If you're winter=hardtop, summer=soft top, the standard soft top is probably going to be just fine for you and spending the extra dough probably isn't worth it
-If you're soft top ALL year, 100% you should go with the premium

Those being said, the upgrade in material is indeed noticeable in a couple ways. The premium doesn't sweat moisture as much on the inside during intense downpours. The premium is much thicker and will not tear as easily, though that's never been a problem for me with either material.
Sponsored