What's the Deal with the Antenna?

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Only problem I am having with my 2021 antenna is less long range AM reception than my 2012 had and only time I have had a antenna whip back and forth is with ice build up.
What is AM???

JeepAZ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
There are a lot of aftermarket antennas and they are very easy to replace. However, keep in mind that the antenna is 35" because that is 1/4 of an FM signal's wavelength. That's the shortest antenna you can use without severely reducing reception, especially at medium to long range. You can get away with a stubby antenna in a strong signal urban environment but that's exactly what a Jeep is meant to get away from. Anyone who says "no change to reception" is quite incorrect. They just happen to be close to a high watt broadcast tower. Drive away and they will lose reception much quicker than the stock antenna.

I tried a stubby antenna and quickly discarded it. A waste of a purchase, reception was non-existent at med-long range. I ended up dipping my stock antenna in Plasti-Dip for the black antenna look, some protection for the rare occasion where it would slap the paint, and no reduction in reception. If you have other ideas, you can use anything non-metallic on the antenna.

Sponsored

JeepAZ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
One of the first things I swapped was the antenna. Search Jeep Antenna on Amazon and you’ll have 1,000 options. I went with a 9inch, I think it was $20. No change in reception and looks so much better.
Jeep Wrangler JL What's the Deal with the Antenna? 0AF2117E-2FC1-4337-B499-ED7C1CDAF8A2

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Anything metal, namely steel will act as a decent antenna. For instance, I have a steel bed post leg screwed into mine. With a piece of metal between the antenna bolt and the bed leg. Signal is just as good as OEM antenna. One of these days I plan on wrapping a coil around it to strengthen the signal, but for now I'm just running it as it is. ;) :rock:

JeepAZ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
There are a lot of aftermarket antennas and they are very easy to replace. However, keep in mind that the antenna is 35" because that is 1/4 of an FM signal's wavelength. That's the shortest antenna you can use without severely reducing reception, especially at medium to long range. You can get away with a stubby antenna in a strong signal urban environment but that's exactly what a Jeep is meant to get away from. Anyone who says "no change to reception" is quite incorrect. They just happen to be close to a high watt broadcast tower. Drive away and they will lose reception much quicker than the stock antenna.

I tried a stubby antenna and quickly discarded it. A waste of a purchase, reception was non-existent at med-long range. I ended up dipping my stock antenna in Plasti-Dip for the black antenna look, some protection for the rare occasion where it would slap the paint, and no reduction in reception. If you have other ideas, you can use anything non-metallic on the antenna.
I swapped back to the 35" antenna and listen to the radio. It only sticks up and inch above the roof and it's 10x better out in the boonies than a stub.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I swapped back to the 35" antenna and listen to the radio. It only sticks up and inch above the roof and it's 10x better out in the boonies than a stub.
As long as the boonies doesn't involve driving in tree branches in reverse.
Sponsored