Sponsored

What's the deal with hard-mounting your air compressor?

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Like 30 seconds.

To me personally the big plus of a hardwired compressor is that it saves cargo space, as well as being conveniently always there.

I have a 2 door and plan to eventually install a single ARB in the engine compartment.

Time savings isnt an issue. i plug mine directly on the winch. But i could easily open the hood with my 2 hands and plug to the battery in a matter of seconds.
It saves wayyy more than 30 seconds, haha. In my previous setup I had to:

1. Open the back of the jeep
2. Undo my cargo net on my storage shelf
3. Move stuff in front of the compressor out of the way
4. Open my engine bay and connect it to my battery
5. Air up all of my tires
6. Disconnect the compressor, close hood.
7. Put compressor back onto storage shelf. Put the things I temporarily had to move back in front of the compressor.
8. Close up the back of the jeep

With my current setup, I have to:

1. Grab my air-up bag from my storage shelf (dont need to touch the cargo net because I can pull the bag out easily without loosening the net)
2. Connect my air line to the chuck and turn it on
3. Air up all of my tires
4. Disconnect my hose
5. Put my bag back onto the storage shelf.

Way more than 30 seconds.
Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I felt sort of dumbfounded at this point. Did this guy really think that your only options are hard-mount or 12V? Has he just been drinking too much ExPo Kool Aid?
Hardwire your Viair with a long wire and short hose instead of a long tangle-hose, then find this guy again and tell him he was right, it's great. Report back on how much smoke comes out of his ears.

If he insists your compressor is probably slightly slower and still not difficult enough to remove for use in different situations, show up next time with the compressor in the middle of the hood like an old turbo air scoop. Say that it pumps much faster now, but only at highway speeds.

A mounted compressor is a great option for some, and almost definitely "cooler". (Unless it's under the hood!) But everybody has different space/cost/usage factors.

For me, I've already used all the interior mounting locations/I'm cheap/don't air down often, or drastically when I do, but do lend the pump to family and friend's RVs, trailers,autos.

Saw people on the forum splicing tow plugs to their compressors, so I added removable plugs and clamps to an automatic Viair. A relatively inexpensive, easy to use, user-friendly, fast(enough), shareable compressor is perfect for me right now.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
So I got to talking to a guy the other day -- in person -- about air compressors, and he was passionate about the compressor being hard-mounted so that "you have it whenever you need it."

I tried to point out that my portable compressor (Viair 440P) has served me well for many years, and that my old Viair served me well for a decade before that.

"You don't want one of those ones that plug into the 12V socket," he replied.

I felt sort of dumbfounded at this point. Did this guy really think that your only options are hard-mount or 12V? Has he just been drinking too much ExPo Kool Aid?

I'm certainly not opposed to hard-mount. I know plenty of guys who run it that way. However, their compressors are often really dirty from dust and road grime, and it never seems like they air up any faster than I do. TBH, it seems like a lot of hassle and expense for no appreciable benefit.

So I guess I'll just ask: What's the deal with hard-mounting your air compressor? Why do some people act like it's the only, or obviously best, way to do it?
You obviously think your way is the best way for YOU. Why can't this strawman think HIS way is the best way too?

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
TBH, it seems like a lot of hassle and expense for no appreciable benefit.
It probably takes a solid afternoon or more to install a compressor, and these compressors cost considerably more than a good portable.

I air down maybe once a year - just don't need to for most trails - Jeep otherwise gets used for errands around town 99% of the time. Lol.

If I aired down weekly, then I'd look into an installed unit to cover all that time spent setting up a portable and considering all that space it takes up and having to carry it all the time everywhere. For me - it'll never pay for itself.

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
either way is ok - it all comes down to requirements - do you want to be able to switch it to other vehicles/locations or is being part of the vehicle ok with you. Mine is hard mounted for convenience and integration (space, air chuck location etc) but if you want to carry it in a box or whatever, it's your choice....Jeeps are all about choices - not an opinion - which of course everyone has..:)

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Convenience is really the only benefit in my opinion. And it’s only for YOU. If your buddies compressor craps out, it’s more work, or maybe even impossible depending on your installation to let him use yours to air up.

Maybe save a few minutes of time, maybe not. Again, depends on the installation and compressor.

There’s also not really a storage benefit. If you can hard mount under the seat, you can store a portable under the seat. You could probably store a portable under hood as well. I’ve never really had the need to look.

It’s really a matter of personal preference. There’s no right or wrong way.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
So I got to talking to a guy the other day -- in person -- about air compressors, and he was passionate about the compressor being hard-mounted so that "you have it whenever you need it."

I tried to point out that my portable compressor (Viair 440P) has served me well for many years, and that my old Viair served me well for a decade before that.

"You don't want one of those ones that plug into the 12V socket," he replied.

I'm certainly not opposed to hard-mount. I know plenty of guys who run it that way. However, their compressors are often really dirty from dust and road grime, and it never seems like they air up any faster than I do. TBH, it seems like a lot of hassle and expense for no appreciable benefit.

So I guess I'll just ask: What's the deal with hard-mounting your air compressor? Why do some people act like it's the only, or obviously best, way to do it?
Because when someone invests hours of time and hundreds/thousands of dollars, they're ashamed when someone's $80 portable is just as good. Defensiveness ensues.

Just look at the Bronco owners...

EDIT: I'm reading some great points in favor of hard mounting (see @Jeepeto), so my harsh tone is softening as I learn.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been curious about this myself. I have one that plugs into a 12V. I've used it for over 5 years and never had a problem. It will inflate my truck tires from 19-20 psi to 35 in about 3-5 mins(per tire). It fits well into any nook I can find and has been reliable in all types of conditions.
What do you have? It's on my list for Amazon points.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You could probably store a portable under hood as well.
You could probably store a baby under there as well. The problem is, how are you gonna secure that baby so it doesn't rattle around and annoy you on the way to the trail? :LOL:

I used a Viair portable compressor for the 6 years I had my JK but hard mounted an ARB single on my JL and I won't be going back to a portable. For me, the convenience of always having the compressor available is definitely worth the extra time and effort it took to install it.

Sponsored

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Portable units are cool, but take up space. Mounted units are more "hardcore" but shockingly less portable. The two main arguments I see are:

1. Portable is better so you can help people
A. Can't you move your jeep to get the hard mount hose near...like a jumper cable situation?
2. Hard mount are out of the way, always ready, and faster!
A. Faster by 2 minutes per session in a lot of cases, how many hours and dollars are invested in those two minutes? Most of us would be giddy to wheel so much that it was an hour a year wasted on a slower pump.

Guess what? Best solution, is what works for you. The dual ARB cost and availability drove me to a 100% duty viair. I am hard mounting it. With that, I don't fit in this argument very well.

Suggestion I saw elsewhere on this forum. For portables, get a trailer wiring hookup! That and gator plip options were pretty cool IMO.