What's the deal with air filters?

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Need to replace my air filter and neither O'reilly or Walmart stocks them. Can't even order it at O'Reilly. I went to Allmoparparts.com and they are on backorder:
https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68257030aa.html
Maybe I can wash it my socks or something...
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Need to replace my air filter and neither O'reilly or Walmart stocks them. Can't even order it at O'Reilly. I went to Allmoparparts.com and they are on backorder:

Noticed the same thing a few weeks ago when I changed mine. Ended up going with something from Amazon as I wasn't paying twice as much for 'Mopar' with a delivery date of "who knows when".

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I changed my original, OEM air filter at 30K miles, as prescribed in the Owner's Manual. The pleats were only mildly discolored. I wrote the date and mileage on the original filter (and the new one, come to that) and stowed it in my parts box. It's still serviceable, in my view, and I have it on standby just in case a supply issue occurs where I can't purchase a new one, whether factory or aftermarket.

FWIW, one of my Blackstone oil analysis reports explicitly mentioned that the decent metrics of the used oil sample suggested the presence of effective air filtration. This buttressed my decision to continue using OEM engine air filters when replacement intervals come due.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I got some from the local dealeship. They had to bring them in from somewhere else but they also gave me a decent discount since I bought two. Not sure if that is the norm though.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
If there’s a NAPA nearby you they can usually source OEM Mopar, probably overnight.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Suggest you consider going with a reusable engine air filter.

Yes, cost for quality reusable is say 2-3 times more then what they are getting for a Mopar air filter ... but the reusable air filter can be used / cleaned over and over for years... You will save lots of $ over the long run..

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/afe-dry-air-filters-drop-in.46639/

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a K&N just in case the supply chain problems get worse but from what I found they don't filter as well as the paper ones. They restrict airflow less but that's not what I'm after. I'm keeping it in a box unless I have to use it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a K&N just in case the supply chain problems get worse but from what I found they don't filter as well as the paper ones. They restrict airflow less but that's not what I'm after. I'm keeping it in a box unless I have to use it.
@BDinTX

You are talking an oiled K&N right... My post was talking of a AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter.

I myself would not install/use/recommend an an oiled filter..

Sponsored

OP
OP
AZJeepGuy

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
I changed my original, OEM air filter at 30K miles, as prescribed in the Owner's Manual. The pleats were only mildly discolored.
At 6k miles my filter was full of dirt. Lots of miles on dusty roads. When I couldn't get one I knocked a bunch out and forgot about it until I was reading the low coolant thread. Appreciate your post though.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perfect thanks! Only $20. It does say it doesn't fit my 2.0L though. Amazon Confirmed Fit! Not so much lol
It fits and the price is decent. IF you plan on sticking with dry filters like that, you should have purchase a few at that price..

Reusable dry is a way to go in locales like yours... You can clean often...

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BDinTX

You are talking an oiled K&N right... My post was talking of a AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter.

I myself would not install/use/recommend an an oiled filter..
Yeah I was. Heck I didn't even know they made dry reuseable ones... must investigate...
Thanks for the homework ; )

SLORubi

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2019 A4 S-line