Sponsored

Whats the best Nav App

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
So with my new Rubi I actually have four different Nav's to choose from. Either the Nav w/o CarPlay or the one with CarPlay and now I can choose Google or Waze. Which ones do you like best?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Google Maps and Waze (both brought to you by Google) are both very good apps. Lately, I chose to use Google Maps.

Waze, now requires that you link to Facebook in order to see friends / have friends in Waze.... this kinda took the steam out of me so to speak, in regard to Waze. Screw that, linking to Facebook.. I'm looking for mapping, not a tie to Facebook.

I think Waze is pretty much history for me at this point in time. I'll keep Waze in my arsenal but.....

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
The police reports are the best part of Waze so that's what I use. That and "pot hole reported ahead" so I can find them and drive right over them.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I used to use Waze over google maps but google maps has the Avoid Highway feature that now love to use.

Sponsored

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
...Waze, now requires that you link to Facebook in order to see friends / have friends in Waze.... this kinda took the steam out of me so to speak, in regard to Waze. Screw that, linking to Facebook.. I'm looking for mapping, not a tie to Facebook.

I think Waze is pretty much history for me at this point in time. I'll keep Waze in my arsenal but.....
I do not have Facebook or a Google account (needed for Google maps use, I think). Just too many privacy issues for my taste. I downloaded Waze and have been using it for about 2 months including a 1000+ mile trip. I really like it and don’t know what additional features I would get/need by logging in (I am using it as a guest).

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I seem to use Apple maps because it interacts with my watch and I don’t need the voice.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Shaved Ice

You sure are missing out on lots, thanks to your not having a Google account. To me it would be like living in the stone ages.... or back in the very early 60's, when I first started driving

Google Maps, Calendar, Contacts are all terrific.

8-) You need to rethink your stance in regard to Google.

I use a combo of Waze and Google Maps when on road trips.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@Shaved Ice

You sure are missing out on lots, thanks to your not having a Google account. To me it would be like living in the stone ages.... or back in the very early 60's, when I first started driving

Google Maps, Calendar, Contacts are all terrific.

8-) You need to rethink your stance in regard to Google.

I use a combo of Waze and Google Maps when on road trips.
I appreciate the reply. I had a Google account for years. I closed my account because I wasn’t happy with how much Google uses your info without permission. They have been caught too many times for unethical conduct for my liking. Also, the Android operating system isn’t as secure. It allows more viruses and exploiting apps than Apple. It also doesn’t provide updates as long as Apple per device. Apple isn’t as user friendly, but it is more secure and that is more important for me. I know I could use Google products on the Apple OS but prefer not to cross pollinate. Of course this is all just my opinion and I am glad there are choices for those who disagree.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I appreciate the reply. I had a Google account for years. I closed my account because I wasn’t happy with how much Google uses your info without permission. They have been caught too many times for unethical conduct for my liking. Also, the Android operating system isn’t as secure. It allows more viruses and exploiting apps than Apple. It also doesn’t provide updates as long as Apple per device. Apple isn’t as user friendly, but it is more secure and that is more important for me. I know I could use Google products on the Apple OS but prefer not to cross pollinate. Of course this is all just my opinion and I am glad there are choices for those who disagree.
I’m not a Google fanboy (nor an Apple one), but as someone who makes their living off of information security, I have to pipe up. Google’s services are separate from their operating systems. Android’s security isn’t tied to the security of their services (and is really more of a failing of the Android business model which leaves patching in the hands of the carriers and phone manufacturers) in the exact same way that iPhone security isn’t tied to the security of Apple’s services (such as iTunes). Google’s services are equally as secure as Apple’s.

All that said: you do not have to have a Google accoint to use Google Maps or Waze. You don’t have to log in to these services at all. Both of them work just fine on iOS without logging in. You can test this by visiting maps.google.com from a private bwrowsing window (I’m assuming you also don’t use the Chrome browser).

If ultimately you don’t want to use Google services because of privacy (which is different than security) concerns, I support your decision. I just wanted to clear the air on security and account needs.

Sponsored

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
I do not have Facebook or a Google account (needed for Google maps use, I think). Just too many privacy issues for my taste. I downloaded Waze and have been using it for about 2 months including a 1000+ mile trip. I really like it and don’t know what additional features I would get/need by logging in (I am using it as a guest).
Google owns Waze so whatever concerns you have with Google Maps you should probably have with Waze.

You shouldn't need a google account to use google maps anyway. It is nice to have everything sync between your devices but not mandatory.

OP
OP
stoowie

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Google owns Waze so whatever concerns you have with Google Maps you should probably have with Waze.

You shouldn't need a google account to use google maps anyway. It is nice to have everything sync between your devices but not mandatory.
Whats interesting is when I first put Google Maps on my ApplePlay I was getting Street View now I don't. Anybody have that issue

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Google Maps if I don't know where I'm going and Waze for commuting.
100% this.

Waze is great for a commute that you're familiar with as this thing will take you the craziest ways ever just to save 30 seconds.

Google Maps if you do not know where you are going as it will take you there the most sane way.
Sponsored