Sponsored

What's the benefit of the LED lighting group?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Great comment David, most people think that going aftermarket LED's means you just want to be annoyingly bright and with no care in the world for others on the road, but with decent research and willingess to spend some money on quality there is great options out there, the bad part is that there is too many aftermarket options in the LED department on the cheaper end and they look nice so many people end up with those and thats where aftermarket LED's get a bad rep
Not to mention some options not being DOT legal.
Sponsored

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
Great comment David, most people think that going aftermarket LED's means you just want to be annoyingly bright and with no care in the world for others on the road, but with decent research and willingess to spend some money on quality there is great options out there, the bad part is that there is too many aftermarket options in the LED department on the cheaper end and they look nice so many people end up with those and thats where aftermarket LED's get a bad rep
Very good point. Yes, it's easy to spend-down on aftermarket LED to save a buck. I highly recommend the Oculus though. They're fantastic, extremely high quality, and somehow less expensive than the OEM LED heads.

To OP/anyone interested: I remember driving in an overcast day with the OEM halogens. To make a point to my wife, I actually manually switched on/off my headlights while driving. To a man, I COULD NOT see a difference in lighting between the two. It was dark enough (barely after noon) for sunglasses to be completely unhelpful (they're prescription and they were still making it a little hard for me to see), and yet my stock halogen headlights were little more than decoration.

Go LED. Go Oculus.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Are you saying that you were wearing sunglasses on a cloudy day, around noon time, and you couldn't tell if your headlights were helping or not?

Respectfully, I think we may have widely differing expectations.

For example; I was driving down off the Islands in the Sky mesa on UT-313 just the night before. It was well after the sun set, and a thick cover of clouds obscured any light in the sky. The road is through open range BLM land and dozens of black cows and their calves are grazing alongside the pavement. Furthermore, with the distinct reduction in vehicular traffic, due to the quarantine conditions, the cows have become accustomed to walking in the middle of the roadway. A dark night with dark cows; and it never occurred to me that my stock halogen headlights were somehow insufficient.

It has been interesting to regard the range of opinions and preferences.

Thank you.

Last edited:

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
Are you saying that you were wearing sunglasses on a cloudy day, around noon time, and you couldn't tell if your headlights were helping or not?

Respectfully, I think we may have widely differing expectations.

For example; I was driving down off the Islands in the Sky mesa on UT-313 just the night before. It was well after the sun set, and a thick cover of clouds obscured any light in the sky. The road is through open range BLM land and dozens of black cows and their calves are grazing alongside the pavement. Furthermore, with the distinct reduction in vehicular traffic the cows have become accustomed to walking in the middle of the roadway. A dark night with dark cows; and it never occurred to me that my stock halogen headlights were somehow insufficient.

It has been interesting to regard the range of opinions and preferences.

Thank you.
The sunglasses bit was just setting the scene for how oddly dark it was for the middle of the day, that's all. I just wanted it to be know that I should have been able to see SOMETHING coming from my headlights. I took the sunglasses off to do my on/off check where I saw zero change.

I've driven at night with the halogens, too. And without prompting on a random nighttime drive, my wife even said, wow, these are bad. And I was the one pushing to buy the new lights. She really had no reference for why I wanted them.

I do very respectfully disagree. The lighting difference between the halogens and LEDs is absolutely staggering. There may be situations where they're "sufficient," but I would assert that while driving along a highway or any other roadway where traffic is not as light as what you've described, I probably would've considered them dangerously dim at times.

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
I will chime in with my 2 cents as it may help someone out in making a decision, not saying my decision was right.

I recently purchased a 2020 JLURD, I debated upon ordering about the LED package, I like the headlights and the tail lights from the look and light output, however I also order both of the safety features and one of them included the LED taillights as part of the package so if I ordered the LED package I was basically only paying for the headlights, fog lights and turn signals, but I knew going in that the fenders will be changed or at the very least I would change the large blinkers for the American Adventure upgrade option, I also knew that I would end up with either the Poison Spider Stubby Bumper or the GenRIGHT alluminum bumper and the OEM fog lights wont work, plus I wanted amber lights that low to have more visibility in dust of fog, so that left me with only the headlights as the one and only item I would keep if I had ordered the LED package, so at this point the cost was much more then I thought I would get for my money, I then looked at aftermarket lights, I really wanted a quality light as I am an off road enthusiast, so I looked at what I thought was the best 3, Speakers, Morimoto and Oracle, I like the fact that Oracle was a true 9" rathen than the usual 7" with an adapter, I also found Oracle to make theirs with the option to change the color in the Halo and the eye (projector) and I thought that would be very cool for when we are out in the desert and they could be changed to match the background light on the Rigid POD lights I had already bought.
I also own a 2019 F350 to which I did not get the LED package as I wanted to built it to my liking, adding red-smoke LED tail lights and Morimoto LED Projector lights with black housing and I can tell you I am more than happy that my truck is different to every stock Ford I see out there, not 100 % unique but different, I expect to do the same with the Wrangler, in the case of my Ford it ended up costing me more than the original LED package which I was aware of (lights were $1500 alone), but for the Wrangler I think I will break even, but will have something different in the case of being able to change light colors on the headlight.

Having to change things after the purchase of the vehicle would mean that you are gonna have to pay for the parts right away, so I can understand including the great set of LED lights into your purchase of the vehicle would be ideal for most poeple as quality aftermarket lights are not cheap, but it is also untrue that there is no match for factory LED's (at least not for my Ford as Morimoto are much better looking and brighter), it's a wrangler so I really can not understand what people are talking about when they mention OEM and fear of falling out of grace with the manufacturer over aftermarket add ons, but maybe some folks just use their rig as close to stock as they possibly can. as I say I dont expect me to be right, it's a wrangler so as long as you are happy then you cant go wrong LOL :like:

With all that said I have only had the Diesel Rubicon for a week, should have the lights this week and install them over the weekend along with some Rigid lighting to have visibility, bumpers would be next then I have to make up my mind on the lift, but really want to add King shocks to match my Ford, they are expensive thought so I am waiting to catch the wife on a good day LOL

https://www.oraclelights.com/produc...dlights-for-jeep-jl-jt?variant=31755841142881
Thanks for going with the Oracle Lighting Oculus headlights! Tag us when you post pics so we can see how great they look on your build:like:

Sponsored

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
And just throwing it out there since the Oculus is being discussed in the mix, the beam and focus should be of top importance when picking an LED option -- not only for driver safety but for others on the road who can potentially have their vision obstructed by glare. This is especially significant on lifted vehicles like Jeeps where the light source is raised and in a position to interfere with the field of vision of other drivers. The install is also important to focus that light for a sharp, safe cutoff line with a proper step.

The Oculus headlights feature a superior, sharp cut-off line and precisely focused light with precision specifically to avoid such issues. The Jeeper gets the brightness they want without compromising the safety of the road with light artifacts and poor fill. It outperforms even the OEM LED package; just look at that wall test. In case anyone is curious ;)

wall_test_1_1024x1024.jpg

JL420

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
I'm also on the fence about getting the LED package. Something just doesn't feel right about including it in the initial price of the vehicle purchase. There are many options available that can be found for much less.

Those Oracle RBG head lights look much cooler. I'm not sure about the controllers, you have to get multiple ones to control the channels independently. I want to get that Evil Eye look but it's going to cost a pretty penny just for the controllers.

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
I'm also on the fence about getting the LED package. Something just doesn't feel right about including it in the initial price of the vehicle purchase. There are many options available that can be found for much less.

Those Oracle RBG head lights look much cooler. I'm not sure about the controllers, you have to get multiple ones to control the channels independently. I want to get that Evil Eye look but it's going to cost a pretty penny just for the controllers.
Thanks for considering the Oculus! You could do the three controllers (the BC1 Bluetooth would give you the most functionality for less cost), find another multi-zone controller that fits your needs, or stick with the white-only Oculus for a less expensive route with the same great headlight function.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
The LED lights or awesome I dont have to worry about the snow in SAN ANTONIO TX
BUT I would'nt purchase a vehicle with out them.
Sponsored