Sponsored

What's the benefit of the LED lighting group?

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
I love my LED lights. Of course I did add some Halogen lights to the bumper for those few times it snows (hate that hyperspace effect). Funny thing though, once I added the Hella's, we didn't get anymore snow this winter. Hmmmmmm. :like:
What also works I used the yellow film from Laminex on the factory LED fogs. The contrast of the yellow fogs in the rain snow and fog are definatly noticeable.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
According to Al in a few years we aren't going to have snow so LED all good.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
All of your questions can be answered by building a Rubicon in the Jeep build site. Just read about every option as you select it. Let’s be honest here...you aren’t buying a wrangler. Why would you buy something that you obviously are trying to talk yourself out of.
I agree with everything you've said except the part about the option descriptions. Most of the descriptions are one sentence; some two or three words. This is an area that the marketing folks should shore up. For example, I was curious about the cold air intake. When you click on the "details", you get this further description: Cold Air Intake by Mopar. Really Jeep? Is that the best elaboration that you can come up with?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I have the LED lights and they are worth every penny of the $900 very bright. No after market lights needed.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
I wouldn't have bought my Wrangler without the LED package. I'd LITERALLY have left it sitting there on the lot. $995 for headlamps and fogs is a bargain considering the advantages in nighttime visibility. Due to my work schedule, I have to drive at night every day, so any increased visibility is important to me. My Cherokee's HIDs weren't bad... these are way better!

Sponsored

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
What also works I used the yellow film from Laminex on the factory LED fogs. The contrast of the yellow fogs in the rain snow and fog are definatly noticeable.
The yellow color doesn't help if the lights aren't projecting. In the 2 snows I experienced, the fog lights were completely occluded by snow. Only the very top of the headlights were projecting, albeit upwards which caused the "Hyperspace" effect.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
We know the msrp for the LEDs have gone up in price a little. No one pays msrp, most pay below-invoice. At below-invoice, for about $800-$900 you get more then just headlight bulbs. You get the entire headlight housings, reflectors, lenses (the lens style was inspired by Star Wars), LED daytime running lights, LED fog lights, LED tail lights. It very good value in my opinion.

There is a possible dark side (Pun intended). lol. The value might not be so good if you need to replace something out of warranty.

Replacement out of warranty can be expensive. The rear LED taillights are expensive to replace if one goes out. The rear tail light is a complete unit. You can't replace just the LED like you would a single bulb. A friend of mine had to replace one that FCA would not warranty. Instead of using a plug-and-play wiring adaptor. His hitch installer spliced into the factory wiring harness so warranty was declined. The cost with labor for a single LED tail lamp replacement was about $500. I think he said that was even discounted a little. Something to consider.

Everyone's priorities are different. Cars and trucks are a hobby for me. I fully understand and accept they are depreciating assets. I view the cost of ownership the same way I value a nice meal or a vacation. It's money paid for a experience and memories. I usually do not keep my vehicles beyond the warranty period. Not because of the assurance. Mostly because I get the itch for something else. Saying that, I might make a exception. I love my JLR. It's very possible I might keep it a little longer. My JLR is heavily loaded with options. The more options the more that can fail. Knowing it's a FCA product, I might consider a heavily discounted extended warranty in the event I decide to keep it longer.

I did not buy a extended warranty for one of my other Wranglers. I had no idea I would have kept it for so long. I was a sadist and kept my super unreliable TJ for 18 years. lol. I replaced just about everything possible on it. I was younger and did most of the work back then. I enjoyed wrenching back then. It was part of the experience I enjoyed. Not so much today. Back, arms, eyes are not what they used to be. Older age might be another reason better lighting is more important to me? LOL!

Last edited:

InfamousYert

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Bright White.
Vehicle Showcase
I did not get the LED package because I hate the Taillights. They look like the Renegade taillights and they look stupid, IMHO. I did get the DV8 9" LED Head and fog lights. Got them added in when we bought the Jeep for "No extra cost" because we negotiated prices and that was an "add-on". Also got the tow package added, since when I purchased the Jeep there wasn't one in the state with the options we wanted.

I purchased my JLUS in Feb 2018, off the showroom floor. Weren't many aftermarket options for a while.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the LED lights and they are worth every penny of the $900 very bright. No after market lights needed.
I totally agree for the most part. With exception of the lousy back-up lights.

I drive on pitch dark streets, back roads, trails, and highways on road trips and the LED lighting is more then adequate. It's exceptional. With the exception of the rear back-up lights. They suck even in the City with street lights! My mom lives in a suburb of Chicago and I can't see a damn thing backing out of her long driveway at night. I am adding some AUX back-up lights to one of the AUX switches. I actually bought everything a while ago but have not had time to do it. The plan is to knock that out now we are still sheltering in place.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Question for those of you who have the OEM LED lights - is it possible to turn off the halo daytime running lights? Or are they on the whole time the engine is running?

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm not bashing on the led lights from jeep. i did not bother in getting the led packager because i cant see paying $1000 for it. the other reason is that i got the jeep off the lot with exactly what i wanted which was a base model 2 door sport. the halogen lights wasnt too bad, but i did upgrade the headlights with supernova v4. they are plug and play with no issues. so with that i'm very happy with that and it only cost me $179. i also did the fog lights with supernova. so the total cost was $348 in upgrading to leds. much better savings from the $1000 options.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question for those of you who have the OEM LED lights - is it possible to turn off the halo daytime running lights? Or are they on the whole time the engine is running?
You can turn on-off the daytime running lights. I saw a setting for them on the Infotainment screen.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
You can turn on-off the daytime running lights. I saw a setting for them on the Infotainment screen.
Good. They’re hideous and tacky. Though I know you can with the tazer too.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Halos stay on when I turn off the DRLs.
Interesting? I saw the option to turn them off on the Infotainment screen but never did. I will check the next time I drive it.
Sponsored