What's the acceptable repair?

furrymitn

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Had my 2021 JLUR in for a second oil leak. First at 5k - replace crankshaft seal. This time at 10k, replace crankshaft seal, among other seals.
Picked it up after repair, smelled coolant. Knowing they refilled coolant after a related seal change, I went and sprayed the engine bay and underside off to make sure it was just spillage. The hood was difficult to open, but as soon as I opened the hood, I saw the paint chipped off the hinges, and the bracket damage. Went back home, pulled the dash cam card and found the tech had done "something" that made the hood unable to close(wasn't captured on cam). What was captured on cam was the technician beating the hinges with a sledge hammer to realign the hood.
I emailed the general manager pictures Sunday(picked up Friday, noted issues on Saturday night), he replied the next morning. Service manager called me later that day, left a voicemail admitting it was their fault, and wanting to do "whatever it takes" to fix it.
Last night, I looked at my Jeep, noted an oil spot underneath. It's still leaking.
This morning, I went to another dealer in the area, had an estimate drawn up for repairs. They suggested hood replacement, hinge replacement, paint, decals, etc.
I've left voicemails twice today for the service manager, and even stopped in but the service manager and the general manager were in an all morning meeting.

So, suggested repairs are about $3k for hood/hinges, but that leaves the hinge bracket, the continual oil leak and my happiness.
What would you request as an acceptable repair and/or outcome? I have started a Jeep Cares case, but I honestly have never been in the position I'm in to know what to expect or request.

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg
Sponsored

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I would make sure they repair the hood to new (or previous) condition and find the cause of the oil leak and fix it.

OP
OP

furrymitn

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I would make sure they repair the hood to new (or previous) condition and find the cause of the oil leak and fix it.
My concern is with the hinge bracket, I think that's part of the tub? Aside from making it look good and painting it, it's never going to be what it was. I'm *not* the "omg, my jeep is broke, no way I can drive it like that" type of person, but that doesn't stop me from whining about it and wanting it at the level it was the day before service :)
Odd thing ion the oil leak is I see the same technician has serviced my Jeep for the last year. First oil leak was one seal, second time it's about 12 different seals and a sledgehammer fix.

Sponsored

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Well they admitted fault and said they would do whatever it takes. It should be handled like an insurance repair and anything that is damaged is repaired or replaced. The oil leak is separate and still needs to be addressed. They obviously need to give it to a more qualified tech and/or there's a bigger issue with the oil leak they are not catching.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
How does that hinge damage even happen?
The tech was probably former Air Force maintenance. Beat to fit, paint to match. 😂

All jokes aside, that dealer would fix it to the point I couldn't see that it was damaged even if I was looking for it. No excuse for that at all.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Well they admitted fault and said they would do whatever it takes. It should be handled like an insurance repair and anything that is damaged is repaired or replaced. The oil leak is separate and still needs to be addressed. They obviously need to give it to a more qualified tech and/or there's a bigger issue with the oil leak they are not catching.
Exactly what I would have said.

--------------

@furrymitn
The dealership is on record as being willing to step up. Give them the opportunity to do so.

If you've not yet done so, create a Word file with entries that document every day, time, name and convo that you have with all related parties. Do whatever is reasonable to speak with said parties in person, and not electronically or via a phone call. Such recordkeeping can be invaluable if or when you need to circle back for whatever reason.

Sponsored

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Man.. it’s a jeep, live with it!:CWL:

Ask for full body repair from FCA certified repair facility. You can find them on MOPAR site.

For mechanical, you’re going to likely have to let them try again, or ask stellantis to order the work be moved over to other dealer under a warranty claim. They’re helpful if you handle yourself ok (ie be reasonable).

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

furrymitn

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Man.. it’s a jeep, live with it!
If it was one of my old Jeeps, I'd be beating back the hinge myself :CWL: But since it's a two year old decent sized investment, and damage was blatant disregard and destruction of property, the terms are a little different.
Ask for full body repair from FCA certified repair facility. You can find them on MOPAR site.

For mechanical, you’re going to likely have to let them try again, or ask stellantis to order the work be moved over to other dealer under a warranty claim. They’re helpful if you handle yourself ok (ie be reasonable).
Noted, thank you. I'd imagine with the hood off the hinge mounts are going to look like less of an issue.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
was it this guy?

Jeep Wrangler JL What's the acceptable repair? 1674585839982
I wouldn't even trust a good mechanic to be working on an air-cooled 911 engine (that one is approximately a 1984). On the other hand I learned how to work on those and back in the day, he was called a Grease Monkey Hunky. That's someone who was of Hungarian decent and worked on cars.
Sponsored