First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It's just one dealer service shit show after another lately, more so than usual. How long will FCA USA/Stellantis put up with stories like this until they jerk their dealers back in line? Franchise revocation is what needs to start happening.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
What I'm confused about is why would they ever need to remove the hood for a chankshaft seal (either the front or rear)? You can remove the whole driveline out the bottom and since the Jeep has a hood that opens wide open, the's never a situation I can think of to remove (I'm talking about engine/transmission repair). I also wonder how your dash cam recorded all of this as most shut down after a few minutes of the vehicle not moving. What I'd do is post the video you have of him working over the hood. Would clear up lots of questions. Look forward to seeing it.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Had my 2021 JLUR in for a second oil leak. First at 5k - replace crankshaft seal. This time at 10k, replace crankshaft seal, among other seals.
Picked it up after repair, smelled coolant. Knowing they refilled coolant after a related seal change, I went and sprayed the engine bay and underside off to make sure it was just spillage. The hood was difficult to open, but as soon as I opened the hood, I saw the paint chipped off the hinges, and the bracket damage. Went back home, pulled the dash cam card and found the tech had done "something" that made the hood unable to close(wasn't captured on cam). What was captured on cam was the technician beating the hinges with a sledge hammer to realign the hood.
I emailed the general manager pictures Sunday(picked up Friday, noted issues on Saturday night), he replied the next morning. Service manager called me later that day, left a voicemail admitting it was their fault, and wanting to do "whatever it takes" to fix it.
Last night, I looked at my Jeep, noted an oil spot underneath. It's still leaking.
This morning, I went to another dealer in the area, had an estimate drawn up for repairs. They suggested hood replacement, hinge replacement, paint, decals, etc.
I've left voicemails twice today for the service manager, and even stopped in but the service manager and the general manager were in an all morning meeting.

So, suggested repairs are about $3k for hood/hinges, but that leaves the hinge bracket, the continual oil leak and my happiness.
What would you request as an acceptable repair and/or outcome? I have started a Jeep Cares case, but I honestly have never been in the position I'm in to know what to expect or request.

Jeep Wrangler JL What's the acceptable repair? 1674586965612

That's so unfortunate, and typical for dealers.

I really really want to trust and like dealers, but just can't.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Meet Jeep’s top customer service dealers

That last one got me.

"It is a mechanical device, they all fail sooner or later. Our extended warranty will pay for itself. It is a no brainer."

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
My concern is with the hinge bracket, I think that's part of the tub? Aside from making it look good and painting it, it's never going to be what it was. I'm *not* the "omg, my jeep is broke, no way I can drive it like that" type of person, but that doesn't stop me from whining about it and wanting it at the level it was the day before service :)
Odd thing ion the oil leak is I see the same technician has serviced my Jeep for the last year. First oil leak was one seal, second time it's about 12 different seals and a sledgehammer fix.
Yeah, I would maybe see if the other dealership you took it to would fix it under warranty rather than the shop that did all the damage.

OP
OP

furrymitn

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What I'm confused about is why would they ever need to remove the hood for a chankshaft seal (either the front or rear)? You can remove the whole driveline out the bottom and since the Jeep has a hood that opens wide open, the's never a situation I can think of to remove (I'm talking about engine/transmission repair).
I think putting the hood all the way back was how the problem was created. I think they put it back and then lifted it, and the lift bar hit the hood. I attached the full parts list from the RO. Redacted the tech's name, I'm not about doxxing :)
I also wonder how your dash cam recorded all of this as most shut down after a few minutes of the vehicle not moving. What I'd do is post the video you have of him working over the hood. Would clear up lots of questions. Look forward to seeing it.
I'm not 100% on why it stayed going to be honest. It's set to record in 5 minute snips, and record on geforce impact. direct battery feed with remote tapped off the garage door button feed at top-driver of windshield. It's possible the door is ajar, as the taser is set to have the garage opener on door open.
The dash cam is a cheap amazon strap-to-the-rearview type. While they were working with the hood flipped back, the cam gets a decent look out the edges of the hood, as well as multiple reflections in the hood,and the windshield. While you can't see the guy slamming the sledge into the hinge, you can see him walking up to the edge of the Jeep, then in the reflection and hood gap, see him place something against the hinge, then do an action, and every time he does the action, the hood and windshield shakes. rinse-repeat for both sides. Along with multiple times trying to put the hood down, look around shadily, try to force it, put it back up, hammer away, try again.
The dude's faces are clear and visible in most of the videos, and until I have an outcome I'm not going to post it entirely.
I'll grab a still though so you can see some of it though!

2023_01_24_14_05_22_Warranty_Service_1_2023.pdf_and_2_more_pages_Personal_Microsoft_Edge.png

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

There's a body shop that did that for me one time, so kind of them to overspray half the rear interior black leather with white paint!
Man you don't have the best of luck with shops!

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Your pissed for all the wrong reasons.
You should be pissed that all that damage happened and they tried their best to hide it.
A decent shop would have contacted you and said “we had an unfortunate incident with your vehicle but don’t worry, we’ll repair it”
If you hadn’t noticed that damage for even a few weeks and didn’t have it on camera I bet they would have denied everything.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Sorry to hear about your mess. The paint damage is a real pain in the ass, as it isn't really a warranty issue, but I doubt you trust the original dealer to make it right based on their initial work "quality." Dealing with something similar.

First shop/dealer (DOUG SMITH AMERICAN FORK - STAY AWAY!!!) did an oil leak repair @ 6k miles in spring 2021. Had it for 45 days and it came home with some new rattles and coolant always seemed low.

Took it back May and June 2022 for the rattle and other warranty work @ 20k miles. Noticed another oil leak in August, and scheduled service for September 2022. This time they had it for 70 days and when it came back it had more issues, broken electrical connectors, and paint damage to the grille and fender, and tape residue around both front door windows as they had them down and taped over for 10 weeks (I know, not a huge deal, just another way they show negligence towards customer vehicles).

December 2022 it went to another dealer (Karl Malone Heber City - so far so good, but 40 miles away vs 20) to fix previous "repairs." They got most of it fixed appropriately, but I'm still chasing electrical gremlins from previous repair.

Paint damage: first dealer service manager, Nate Garrison (condescending and lying asshole) claims they fixed it, but actually made it worse. Second dealer doesn't do body work and can't fix it. Besides, it isn't a Jeep or warranty thing anymore, as it was caused by other dealer. $1000 repair estimate from reputable body shop.

I've had a @JeepCares case that has been open since July. Still ongoing and still playing phone tag with my case manager. Doesn't sound like anyone will take responsibility for the body damage.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I doubt they would have removed the hood. The guy likely left a large tool up there and slammed the hood on it.
When he posts the video he has, then we will know. Since he has it, then no big deal to upload it.