Sponsored

What's taking so long for JL aftermarket parts?

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
I'm seeing mixed results on shipping as well even though each site I order from says "In Stock". The best so far has been JEEPBACKBONE.com , I ordered a deck for the rear and it shipped within 2 days and I got it 2 days later, super well built and well designed. Dead pedal and JTOPs was in the middle and the Tube Doors have been the worst. Ordered first from Quadratec "In stock", six weeks later I cancelled the order and went with another provider "In Stock" for $100 less and been in "preparing to ship" for 2 weeks.

My last big purchase will be a twill fastback soft top like the Trextop NX. I'm hoping for next summer. In the mean time I'm running with JTOPs and a rear deck in all but the worst weather then I have to put the hardtop on.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
True. Iā€™m sure demand hasnā€™t dropped for aftermarket JK soft tops either so thatā€™s not helping. Also with 23,000 JL sold in June how many were soft top...gotta wonder how far bestop is behind. With this supply problem why didnā€™t FCA seek out additional sources or assist bestop in expansion of assembly lines.
I agree with your premise, for several reasons related to risk management, of FCA having more firms than Bestop to source for this: even do it in house.

My guess is that the sail fabric industry from which this niche business was formed features craftspeople that it's hard and expensive to quickly upscale for either Bestop or FCA, at least at current market prices.

FCA seems, and I suspect they have their reasons, to prefer getting "into bed" with single vendors on a share of outsourced products: to wit, I suspect, the soft top window storage bag holder. Reducing risk costs money FCA may not want to spend as it can raise consumer costs or cut into profit margins or both.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
As for bestop not selling the softop aftermarket that makes sense for the OEM version, but bestop makes several other versions of the softop like the trextop and many bikini tops that could/should go into production.

There are probably some patents related to the soft top that Jeep or Bestop holds keeping other manufactures from getting in on the business...just guessing here.

Profit margins being cut into...probably slightly, but the margins are probably pretty huge on the Wranglers. I know the JKs went unchanged for a decade except for some interior and then the engine/tranny update in 2013. And having owning one, I doubt it costs FCA/Jeep half what they sold it for to build it, especially in the later years. Think about it. Body on frame unchanged for a decade, halogen lights, basic radio or nav, common engine/tranny with other vehicle lines, not even a full paint job as roll bars were barely touched, rusting underneath everywhere, solid axles, etc. how much did it really cost FCA to manufacture the JKs.
Redesigning and having to retool their assembly lines for the JL was a huge investment, but that's paying off in huge sales and of course profits. Plus given the fact they increased the prices by $3K.

To be honest, the wrangler is a freak of nature in many ways. It shouldn't be seeing the sales numbers it does given all the shortfalls it has. However, for some reason it's selling like hotcakes.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
...To be honest, the wrangler is a freak of nature in many ways.
Totally! It's an oligopolist (one of few sellers), if not a darn right monopolist in the less than completely high end off road capable vehicle market with a crazy large fan base for its so called niche size.

This allows it to bee less than 100% on point all the time to not only survive but thrive. It can stick it to vendors who supply it, and it can stick it to customers, within limits. This is not to say that the people at FCA don't try very hard on the whole to please customers while making some after market and production contractors like Bestop millions. This is not to say that other manufacturers don't have their issues in even more competitive markets.

Who has its aftermarket size? Who is going to spend for a Mercedes G-class, which professionals have rated as one of the most overpriced for its features vehicle out there, even if it had Wrangler's aftermarket, or came stock with much of what's purchasable as upgrades.

But it's the best kind of monopolist. The kind the FTC (federal trade commission) can't touch.

"Who are we preventing from entering the off roading space," FCA's lawyers would justifiably argue to any anti-trust claim.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
A somewhat brash but well known and published economists professor I studied under once asked rhetorically why company "X" was doing this seemingly non-sensical thing that might undercut profits.

He answered, "for the same reason that an animal licks its genitals: because it can!"

There is also something known in economics as a Giffen good. It goes by other names too, and basically has shown to have its demand increased as its cost does, within limits. It has to do with things like people making fashion statements with their purchases.

To some extent that FCA's bean counters track, adding to the cost of the rig, not necessarily in price, but in consumer inconvenience, may not detract from sales, or even slightly improve them or profitability particularly if cost does takes an uptick.

Think the new more expensive FCA/MOPAR soft top window storage bag, when it finally gets here will experience less demand then the early discontinued one for the JL in which "6" were made? I doubt it.

Sponsored

IronCrossAutomotive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon/2018 JLU Sport
From the manufacturing side, I can tell you that some products take more time and engineering than others. For us, the Fender flares have given us the hardest time. We were able to release bumpers, steps, and tire relocation brackets in late February after receiving our first JL early February.

We are still working on the fender flares in July because of the integration of the light & blinker in the front flares and some tweaks around the vent. If manufactures had easier access to newly released vehicles it may not take so long, but we had to bring ours in from Tennessee (Oklahoma based company) just to get it in February. Since MOPAR is owned by Chrysler they are able to develop products in advance and charge outrageous prices while everyone else starts behind the 8 ball. It is an unfortunate situation sometimes.

Personally, I love the JL just like all of you. So I did find an Aftermarket LED Headlight option for you just released Friday from Quake LED!

https://quakeled.com/shop/

IMG_20180610_161528-web.jpg

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S
Never mind aftermarket parts, whereā€™s my MOPAR soft top window bag??

The one aftermarket part I did order, Lange Originals Coyote mirrors, is backordered until August. I canceled that and preordered Rugged Ridgeā€™s offering.

Waited 6 months for my 2dr to get built, now I have to wait for parts.

Oh, well. Love my new Wrangler, so itā€™s worth it.
I was wondering the same thing about my window bag!

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As for bestop not selling the softop aftermarket that makes sense for the OEM version, but bestop makes several other versions of the softop like the trextop and many bikini tops that could/should go into production.
Have you consider that Bestop likely has an OEM contract that prohibits their aftermarket group from using proprietary information derived from their OEM contract in the production of aftermarket parts because that would represent and unfair advantage to other aftermarket parts manufacturers?

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I mean at the end of the day, if you want something that's going to last and be a good quality product, then the companies that are doing the R&D to get it right the first time, rather than rush it to the market, is just part of the process. (Corrosion testing alone takes 4 months, to put things into perspective) Not saying that other products out right now aren't good or of high quality, but that's why there's not a whole lot out for the JL...yet. Especially when you compare it to the JK that has nearly a decade under it's belt.

It's mainly just coming to terms with reality that a lot of products aren't out yet, accepting it, and then patiently waiting for them to come out...because they will. As someone eluded to earlier, SEMA is coming up and i'll bet A LOT will be introduced at that time. Whether or not they're immediately available is another story. Should be a busy holiday spending spree for JL owners. Save now! :like:

No need to point blame at Jeep or FCA for doing what they're doing...they're a business and in it to make money, as well. Can't blame them trying to maximize profits...capitalism...is what it is. I do acknowledge my frustration with Jeep considering that they have a whole catalog that you can pick up at the dealership full of MOPAR/Jeep accessories and it seems as if none of it is available...not sure if that's because they weren't expecting such a high demand so quickly so supply is low, or if it's that supply is low regardless of demand...so they have dropped the ball on that for sure. :headbang: Just don't let it ruin your day...growing pains for a new model Jeep.

I've had my JLUR now for a month or two and have it stock still because i am waiting for AEV for what they do with bumpers, tire carrier, etc and then Teraflex to release their lift options. Just personal preference as I like those 2 companies and have used them in the past with 2 other Wrangler's I've owned. But I"m just as eager as any other JL owner to do some modifications :rock:

Just need to wait a little....hopefully this isn't a similar conversation next summer..haha.

:jk:

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Have you consider that Bestop likely has an OEM contract that prohibits their aftermarket group from using proprietary information derived from their OEM contract in the production of aftermarket parts because that would represent and unfair advantage to other aftermarket parts manufacturers?
No, but I bet Bestop did all the R&D to develop the new softop and FCA just licensed it from them. That would be the better business move.

Iā€™m sure Bestop has the new tops developed already and itā€™s just a matter of capacity to produce them since they canā€™t keep up with the current demand for OEM tops.

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Dam, $600 is ā€˜reasonableā€™ for JL......i can find JK ones for $200.

YaThatAintRight

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon "THE LLAMA"
Occupation
Automotive Instructional Designer
Dam, $600 is ā€˜reasonableā€™ for JL......i can find JK ones for $200.
The legitimate companies have to make the originals for the others to knock off........... if you think $600 is unreasonable for a QUALITY headlight for ANY car then you are in for a long wait.

Nash

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jk rubicon
This is the beauty of being a pioneer of a first generation jeep. You drive it stock for a year or two save up your money and get the mods you want all at the same time and make your jeep a functional off road rig you alwase ever wanted

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
And somebody has to build some JL seat brackets before the really tall guys receive concussions and worse. I wish MOPAR could have addressed this issue before those trial attorneys start cranking out the paper.
FCA advertised the JL had more headroom than the JK. --- WRONG.
If you want to have "fun" with headroom, go to your local Mazda dealership and do a test drive in their MX-5 RF. I did that the other day and even though I'm only of average height, I bumped my head quite a bit getting in and out of the car. Not just the *top* of the head, but the *side* of it, just a bit above the ears. My old body can't made the contortions to get into that car anymore. It was a fun car to drive, but not practical. If it had been like the old RX-7 with the hatchback area and no rear seats, it would have been more "practical". "Practical" means room for 2 people and a small cooler of drinks...
Sponsored