Sponsored

What's taking so long for JL aftermarket parts?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
One other thing to note on this is that a lot of aftermarket vendors introduce or release their products at SEMA, which isn’t until Oct 30.
Sponsored

TReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
They are waiting for our money to fund the manufacturing. Seems like anything I order I get charged for right away and then wait 1-2 months for the item.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They are waiting for our money to fund the manufacturing. Seems like anything I order I get charged for right away and then wait 1-2 months for the item.
At the very least, that is the perception we can be left with. Take @JTopsUSA for example. Lot’s of people have ordered tops, including myself, and discover after the fact that it’ll take more than a month for the top to get delivered. I’d be fine with waiting if they had actually taken the time to communicate how long it was going to take but I had to email them to finally get an answer. The only thing that has kept me from cancelling my order is the raving reviews they’ve gotten from people on this forum.

But it’s not like that for everyone, and probably not for most vendors.

An example on the opposite end of that spectrum is @ROAM After their initial batch of JL side steps, there seemed to be delay in getting more product to market. However they never took anyone’s money and they were making an effort in updating customers about the production of their product. Last week they had a set time for when those steps would be produced and available for sale. Only then did they open them up for orders. ROAM did a great job of setting expectations and thus a lot of people are very happy with them.

IMO, it’s all about setting customer expectations.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m new to Jeeps, coming from sports cars. So I say this from a different viewpoint than most of you will have: there’s no shortage of parts AT ALL, just fewer options than you’d like at this point. I own a 10 year old car that has far fewer aftermarket options now than the JL does after only a few months. The Jeep Wrangler is one if the top 10 aftermarket parts markets in the US. Its better for the JL right now than many vehicles will ever have in their entire production run. Of course everyone wants more options. But keep in mind that companies that actually do their own R&D have only had their hands on one for maybe 5 or 6 months. That’s not a lot of time to plan, design, prototype, install, test, redesign or start over if necessary, retest, produce, market, and ship products to vendors. Unless you want cheap junk that doesn’t fit or function correctly. I’d rather wait a year than buy crap just because it was first to market. I’m thrilled at how much is already available now, but it is always great to have more options.

Musicnjeepz

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKURR
Just seems like there was no planning. Even when ordering something they say "fits 2018 Wrangler" but doesnt specify JL or JK, and NOTHING is interchangeable for the two. So i've emailed places to clarify which model it fits, no responses. Just a headache to no end. I saw one set of LED headlights that says "fits 2018 Wrangler" then the same set of headlights with foglights included and it says "fits 2018 JK", not sure why one would specify and one wouldnt when its the same set of headlights. Just frustrating.
I would think fog lights would be the same, unless they are different diameters, the same with head,ights.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would think fog lights would be the same, unless they are different diameters, the same with head,ights.
The headlights are a total redesign. There is no compatibility between the JK and JL models.

However I think the foglights are compatible between the JK and JL. Quadratec seems pretty good at showing compatibility between models (though they have made a couple of mistakes) and points out that the OE foglights are good for both models. https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/oe-fog-light-wrangler-jk-jl-68081399ab

EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The headlights are a total redesign. There is no compatibility between the JK and JL models.

However I think the foglights are compatible between the JK and JL. Quadratec seems pretty good at showing compatibility between models (though they have made a couple of mistakes) and points out that the OE foglights are good for both models. https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/oe-fog-light-wrangler-jk-jl-68081399ab
I read a review on Quadratec for one of the DV8 bumpers that stated the fog lights for the JL have three mounting screws while the JK fog lights have four. I don't know for certain, but it's something to look out for.
Quadratec Review.jpg

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
I also can't believe how ling it is taking for some basic things. When is out seem to sell out quick and takes way too long to restock (i.e. Lange Coyote Mirrors)

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
At the very least, that is the perception we can be left with. Take @JTopsUSA for example. Lot’s of people have ordered tops, including myself, and discover after the fact that it’ll take more than a month for the top to get delivered. I’d be fine with waiting if they had actually taken the time to communicate how long it was going to take but I had to email them to finally get an answer. The only thing that has kept me from cancelling my order is the raving reviews they’ve gotten from people on this forum.

But it’s not like that for everyone, and probably not for most vendors.

An example on the opposite end of that spectrum is @ROAM After their initial batch of JL side steps, there seemed to be delay in getting more product to market. However they never took anyone’s money and they were making an effort in updating customers about the production of their product. Last week they had a set time for when those steps would be produced and available for sale. Only then did they open them up for orders. ROAM did a great job of setting expectations and thus a lot of people are very happy with them.

IMO, it’s all about setting customer expectations.
My JTops order is probably touching your fabric right now. Ha

I ordered a few weeks ago. An American flag top. They said mine will likely ship the beginning of next week. They have 35 JL order they are creating right now, they said.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I read a review on Quadratec for one of the DV8 bumpers that stated the fog lights for the JL have three mounting screws while the JK fog lights have four. I don't know for certain, but it's something to look out for.
Quadratec Review.jpg
Probably the LED group lights.

My stock JLUR fog lights bolted straight in to the FS-15 bumper. I am assuming they didn't change the fog light mount between the two.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Bestop can’t use the excuse of not having access to the JL since they build the factory soft tops. I bet there is some type of agreement between FCA and Bestop which doesn’t allow them to sell their aftermarket soft tops until a certain date so FCA can bank on buyers ordering the factory soft top.

Also, in most of the advertising I watched the FCA guys were all stating Mopar parts would be available day 1...BS...still waiting for the TRMS which is basically some t-slot rails and hooks.

And the redesign is not that drastic, so I would also assume some JK parts would need very little adjustment to fit on the JL. Some have even modified their JK stuff to fit the JL.

I’m waiting for the rhino rack back bone kit for a roof top platform. It’s a simple design, but rhino rack still hasn’t released any details.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Bestop can’t use the excuse of not having access to the JL since they build the factory soft tops. I bet there is some type of agreement between FCA and Bestop which doesn’t allow them to sell their aftermarket soft tops until a certain date so FCA can bank on buyers ordering the factory soft top.

Also, in most of the advertising I watched the FCA guys were all stating Mopar parts would be available day 1...BS...still waiting for the TRMS which is basically some t-slot rails and hooks.

And the redesign is not that drastic, so I would also assume some JK parts would need very little adjustment to fit on the JL. Some have even modified their JK stuff to fit the JL.

I’m waiting for the rhino rack back bone kit for a roof top platform. It’s a simple design, but rhino rack still hasn’t released any details.

Not only do I think the contractual agreement you cite exist, but Bestop is up to its earlobes right now making the very factory soft tops you refer to.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
True. I’m sure demand hasn’t dropped for aftermarket JK soft tops either so that’s not helping. Also with 23,000 JL sold in June how many were soft top...gotta wonder how far bestop is behind. With this supply problem why didn’t FCA seek out additional sources or assist bestop in expansion of assembly lines.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not only do I think the contractual agreement you cite exist, but Bestop is up to its earlobes right now making the very factory soft tops you refer to.
One of my neighbors works for Bestop. He told me, a couple of weeks ago, that every top they make is going straight to Jeep. They aren't selling them in the aftermarket because they don't have a single one to sell.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My JTops order is probably touching your fabric right now. Ha

I ordered a few weeks ago. An American flag top. They said mine will likely ship the beginning of next week. They have 35 JL order they are creating right now, they said.
Hey hey HEY!! No touching.. ;)
Sponsored