Sponsored

What's New For 2020 Jeep Wrangler? (Engines, Exterior, Interior & Safety)

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
ProTip: DPFs are certainly not consumable items. In fact, a replacement can run well over 7000 bucks depending on the make of car.
For example, the "cheap" aftermarket DPF on a Toyota Hilux 2.4l runs about 3500. An OEM runs almost 6000.
DPFs are intended to last the life the vehicle. They are complex little things and you do not want to pay to replace it.
Oh I’m well aware of their complexities, reliability issues and cost, having replaced two. I know well into the double digits of folks running modern diesels and precisely zero of them have had zero DPF issues. About half of those have been replacements. When I say consumable I’m not insinuating that folks just pick up replacements and drop them in like air filters. I say it because they’re a flawed design which cannot be realistically expected to last 250,000+ miles, or in many cases even 100,000 miles. Both of mine went under 75,000. In my opinion, there are two options if and when it fails...replace under warranty or delete. Out of pocket replacement is 100% not worth it.
Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I have no doubt that the engine would easily meet the federal emissions requirements with no issues at all, as the previous gen still meets those requirements. Likely state emissions, i.e CA emissions are the issue.
The 3.0 plan for EU was never even considered as there was simply no possible way to meet the Euro 6D emissions standard. As such, they opted for a 2.2 turbo diesel, which, I have to say is a massive improvement over the old the 2.8 turbo it replaced. In terms of refinement, economy and God willing, reliability.
It definitely does not pull as well as the 3.0 does, however, given the horrible reliability record of that engine here in Europe, I am happy to take the 2.2, which FIAT has used for some time and has a really good record on. They can't wire a car for shit, but they do make a reliable diesel engine.
This video from the European launch of the Gladiator states that it will come with the 3.6 petrol engine and the 3.0 turbo diesel....

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
replace under warranty or delete.
True.. though that depends on where you live. In some states like CA, it is illegal to remove it. In countries like Australia, it's a 10k fine if you are caught.
The DPF in my last car never had an issue after 170k on the clock. The DPF in my Hilux failed after 15k. This seems to be due to a design defect in the head which causes one cylinder to run too rich, causing a fast build up in the DPF.
So long as you are not only driving short city trips, it "should" last a long time.

Turbo8u

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Why does that first white page (copied here) say there's a new diesel available for Rubicon, but then there's no mention of the diesel on later pages, and no specs?
That is my question as well. I see no mention of the 3.0 Diesel anywhere iin the chart.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
This video from the European launch of the Gladiator states that it will come with the 3.6 petrol engine and the 3.0 turbo diesel....

Let's see. That was definitely a US spec truck though. 115v plugs, steel bumpers, higher fenders and so on.
You can get the 3.6 petrol in the Netherlands I have seen, though I guess that is through an importer. I would hate to drive that thing on UK roads!

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Let's see. That was definitely a US spec truck though. 115v plugs, steel bumpers, higher fenders and so on.
You can get the 3.6 petrol in the Netherlands I have seen, though I guess that is through an importer. I would hate to drive that thing on UK roads!
I agree, driving it on the UK roads isn’t appealing.

I thought it was interesting though the reference to the 3.6 and 3.0 diesel. As you say we’ll have to wait and see what happens.

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
Certain body colors come with a gray/silver dash.
I'm not much of a fan of that color either. I wish they'd go darker like the Altitude models, or offer black leather like the MOAB has. I think the Bikini color with that silver dash doesn't look very good (not that it would look good in red either!).

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
True.. though that depends on where you live. In some states like CA, it is illegal to remove it. In countries like Australia, it's a 10k fine if you are caught.
The DPF in my last car never had an issue after 170k on the clock. The DPF in my Hilux failed after 15k. This seems to be due to a design defect in the head which causes one cylinder to run too rich, causing a fast build up in the DPF.
So long as you are not only driving short city trips, it "should" last a long time.
To be fair, most things are illegal and/or taxed to the point of making zero financial sense in CA. Most folks living there have the means to move elsewhere if they don’t like it.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I can't believe auto high beams is a thing. Good lord....you can't manage your own headlights.
It is actually a pretty handy feature on my wife's Fusion. It typically responds as fast, or faster than I can....

RikFlairWoo

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ Sahara
I fully agree, love the Jeep, hate the metallic red dash on the Rubi. Certain body colors come with a gray/silver dash. I'm waiting for the Sarge green paint to be available before I order and I'm really hoping it comes with the silver dash, and I'm guessing it will.
I've noticed some Bikini JLs with the silver dash regardless of seat choice. Also, I think the tan/brown seat option has always come with the silver dash on Rubicon JL/JT. Could be wrong but I know for sure my friend's JL has silver dash because of the tan leather in his Rubicon.

The wait for Sarge & Diesel news continues....

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
Wtf ? Why can’t they add the etorque option to rubi and even the sport that’s a stupid decision ! I LOVE the off the line boost it provides the 37s !
Bewildering to me as well . . . it seems perhaps an over abundance of ass licking the "FAN-BASE" on this one ? You know the hard core Crawlers and hard core Modifiers N'such ? They do want THEIR jeeps as simple as possible "off the assembly line so they can MOD MOD MOD ! Don't have any FACTS to proof that wacky theory, . . . but hey . . . who needs facts any more . . . it's 2019 ! ?

ManoftheSpring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Fixer
Just as I was going to place my order for a new Rubicon, I see the one touch sky top is no longer an option. I presume the leaking problem noted in these forums is the culprit. However, I'm not sure I can pull the trigger on this purchase without that option. Anyone have any info (or even wild guesses) about this?

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What am I'm missing with this post?

It feels like it's a recap of the two or three threads since the 2020 stuff came out.

Thanks for the heads up though.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
What am I'm missing with this post?

It feels like it's a recap of the two or three threads since the 2020 stuff came out.

Thanks for the heads up though.
Sorry, didn't know that this info was already out there.
Sponsored