Sponsored

What's needed to mount the Rubicon steel front bumper on my Sport?

dannyp

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe Sahara
Great video, Thanks! 2nd JL on order. Hopeful for early June delivery. Ordered Steel Group on the first JL in Jan. 2018. Couldn't justify the $1700 charge this time around. I'm ordering this bumper. I have a couple questions.

1. I'm planning on installing now and winch later. Of course I would want to mount the winch mounting plate now so I don't have to repeat later. Would I be able to leave the winch cover in place until I got ready to install a winch? Looks like I'd have to take the new skid plate off to mount the winch later also. I've answered my own question. Quit being cheap and do the winch during install. Much easier :)

2. Here's one you can answer. Have you done anything to replace the rear bumper yet? Does MP make a matching or close?

Thanks- Tod in N.W. Arkansas
Hey there! Sorry for the late reply -- You could add the winch later -- the cover can be removed after the fact. It may be possible to do it without removing the skid but it would be really really awkward to try to get a wrench in there.

I am leaving the rear bumper stock for now, I'm not sure if MP Concepts makes a rear bumper. I installed a DV8 cheap rear bumper (Steel) on my last JL and it was pretty simple.

I posted a short follow up video with some other thoughts / gotchas / things i did wrong as well.
Sponsored

swang

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Worked for me four times, Be sure to have a washer on the bolt. A dab of grease between the bolt and washer would help.
Gregj
Could you guys please clarify something? I have a 2021 JLU with the plastic front bumper. I bought a Mopar steel front bumper, Mopar skid plate, and Mopar winch plate/kit. One install video I watched noted that four rivnuts are required (see attached pic for location). Are these rivnuts included with the bumper, or do I need to purchase them separately? I bought the bumper as an accessory, not as repair parts. Thanks for the help. I'm traveling for work so I can't open the bumper box to see what's inside.

rivnuts.png

swang

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
One more thing... this plate/bracket comes with the plastic bumper. Can someone confirm that it is not used with the steel bumper? In other words, I can remove it and not reinstall it with the steel bumper.

front_plate.png

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Could you guys please clarify something? I have a 2021 JLU with the plastic front bumper. I bought a Mopar steel front bumper, Mopar skid plate, and Mopar winch plate/kit. One install video I watched noted that four rivnuts are required (see attached pic for location). Are these rivnuts included with the bumper, or do I need to purchase them separately? I bought the bumper as an accessory, not as repair parts. Thanks for the help. I'm traveling for work so I can't open the bumper box to see what's inside.

Jeep Wrangler JL What's needed to mount the Rubicon steel front bumper on my Sport? front_plate
One more thing... this plate/bracket comes with the plastic bumper. Can someone confirm that it is not used with the steel bumper? In other words, I can remove it and not reinstall it with the steel bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL What's needed to mount the Rubicon steel front bumper on my Sport? front_plate
Rivnuts are a separate item, you will need four (they go in the hex shaped holes)

remove and discard that piece.
Gregj

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Just to clarify. The rivnuts are needed for the skid plate not the bumper. Bumper mounts with existing hardware from plastic bumper. Not positive but believe you need to order rivnuts separately. You also need the bolts and the two brackets that mount to those rivnuts. May want to verify the kit you bought. If they mentioned the brackets they may have included all the hardware.

OP
OP
jbelluccio12

jbelluccio12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Hey, where'd you get the black grill/headlight inserts? Jeep looks great!
Just found them on Amazon search rubicon grill inserts they come in afew different colors. Went with the mate black.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

swang

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for clarifying the rivnuts are needed for the skid plate install. I found the skid plate instructions online and it does show the 4 rivnuts included with the skid plate.

Can the Mopar skid plate coexist with the Mopar winch plate? From one video I saw, it looked like the winch plate brackets replaced the skid plate brackets (the brackets that bolt to the rivnuts).

Update: I just reviewed an online copy of the winch plate install instructions and I see the skid plate brackets are in fact reinstalled.

swang

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I finally made it home and opened the boxes for the Mopar skid plate and Mopar 3-piece steel front bumper. The 4 rivnuts are indeed included with the skid plate hardware.

But I have another question... are most people installing the winch with the bumper off, or with the bumper on? The Mopar winch install instructions say to pull the bumper forward without removing it. I bought the Warn VR 10-S, and from what I understand it's a smaller winch.

Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
where is the open box section? I cant find it.
Sorry for the delay. Haven't been on here in a couple months. It's on the home page
Jeep Wrangler JL What's needed to mount the Rubicon steel front bumper on my Sport? 1627308041654

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Hey there! Sorry for the late reply -- You could add the winch later -- the cover can be removed after the fact. It may be possible to do it without removing the skid but it would be really really awkward to try to get a wrench in there.

I am leaving the rear bumper stock for now, I'm not sure if MP Concepts makes a rear bumper. I installed a DV8 cheap rear bumper (Steel) on my last JL and it was pretty simple.

I posted a short follow up video with some other thoughts / gotchas / things i did wrong as well.
Great series of videos!
Sponsored