Sponsored

What's more important to you? Offroad or Open-air

Why do you choose the wrangler as your vehicle of choice?

• Offroading capabilities

Votes: 53 44.5%
  • Open air lifestyle

Votes: 66 55.5%

• Total voters

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
So who wants to go get a beer?
LOL, way ahead of you, just got back from dinner watching the game with a few frosty ones... now and having a River City Raspberry Red Ale while chillaxin’ on the couch with the GF watching Kimmel (everyone else is a repeat this week).
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a few Boylan’s Root beers and Birch Beers in the fridge... Here’s a virtual one... :beer:

OP
OP

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
As we discussed before the challenge primarily remains limited capacity and strong demand, often much stronger than supply. The JK and thus JL is a Golden goose producing tons of gold, so they don’t want to mess with that.

However if they have excess capacity on the JT line, you might see more exploration of this market.

I know there are a lot of people more interested in seeing a new take on this line, than another mundane & repetitive Cherokee/Compass/Liberty/Patriot variant coming.

I think it would sell very well too.
Someone recently had said something along the lines of a Tahoe sized wrangler. That I would love to see them build over those compass/liberty types u mentioned. Not sure how conducive a big wrangler like that would be for hardcore off-roading, but a wrangler that size would be visually impressive I think.

OP
OP

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Make mine a root beer !!!! :rock: (Haven't had a sip of alcohol since I was 17)
I get a big kick out of people who say they quit drinking before they were even legally allowed to drink.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure how conducive a big wrangler like that would be for hardcore off-roading, but a wrangler that size would be visually impressive I think.

It would definitely have to give back on many off-roading aspects, but it might do some things extremely well (longer wheelbase is good for climbing).

I think the JLXL would work well if they can refine their target market. The question is how many of those folks are better served by the coming of the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. So waiting to see the response towards that vehicle, already readying for production, would makes sense.

I appreciate the desire, I want a little longer JKU, and hopefully the 200mm bump to the JLU I was told of helps with cargo space for skis and also allowing us to camp/sleep in the back at a moments notice in inclement weather or for the right experience, like we did in Tofino this summer, beachside with the roof off and the sky lit up like a Christmas tree, it was tight for me being a bigger dude and stiffness and leg cramps are common when doing that.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To which, and in particular regard to the thread title/purpose itself , I’ll post a few pics from our Coast to Coast trip this summer to convey the “I want both options of Off-Road and Open-Air”, both the GF and I were bronzed after this trip thanks to always having the roof off.

E8CF83DA-3D37-494C-83E6-2FEE20630D6E.jpeg

944943F0-B623-4870-98A0-A1DC4DEB95DA.jpeg

6DDD8A81-05AC-4A87-94A8-B1C1614932D6.jpeg

F5242F0B-677C-4644-B294-4A2204614E87.jpeg

7000935B-2714-4E70-9C1F-CE8D1DF03385.jpeg

Plus a classic of my old Rub Doozer on the hill before climbing to setup race gear.

A1B5EADE-8D32-4E5C-A994-B46FF9943C87.jpeg

Gotta have Both !!

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I'm really surprised that more people are voting for open air than off-road.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
There should be an option for both...at the same time! I've seen Canadians go doorless in the middle of winter, playing around in deep snow with their JKs. I'll bet Ape has done that, right Ape? Lol! (I'd do it, but only with my Lava Jacket.)

20171020_075942.jpg

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There should be an option for both...at the same time! I've seen Canadians go doorless in the middle of winter, playing around in deep snow with their JKs. I'll bet Ape has done that, right Ape? Lol! (I'd do it, but only with my Lava Jacket.)
Done the top open in December, January & February many MANY times before both here and in Northern Ontario, much to the GF’s parents’ bemusement and head-shaking; but doorless gets too much slush inside. ;)

I did pop by a friend’s place a few years back with the freedom panels off the hardtop, and intended to only stay for a moment to drop of stuff between our respective GFs, but another former co-worker was there, so grabbed a single beer (don’t drink & drive kids) and chatted for a while, not noticing the light snow starting outside... returned to my Jeep with a generous dusting (~1/2cm) on the front seats and dash, much to the entertainment of my so-called friends. After dusting them off to avoid soggy-butt melt, NEVER appreciated the heated seats more in my life! :like:

I do have electric socks and tons of warm weather gear for standing in position for hours at a time on race courses, but in the Wrangler, I just need to crank up the heater (point the two left vents at my fingers on the wheel), and add a scarf to the back of my neck which gets stiff & sore in the cold... or due to old age.
Speaking of which, I do wish the Wrangler had headrest/seat heat vents like the GF’s dad’s Mercedes, that would be so nice for cold evening star gazing through the mountains. :rock:

A0CA68CA-085E-4130-86BA-F35A7E205227.jpeg

EE1EFC77-C3A9-435E-A1EC-38875E905841.jpeg

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Off-road capability. That's the reason I bought the thing. As much as I love wheeling with the top down and/or doors off, I have just as much fun with the top and doors on as well.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
If push came to shove - I would prioritize offroad capability. But really I can't separate the two, because the top down offroading is for me what makes the Jeep compared to other vehicles. The value of top down probably depends somewhat on owner locations. For example, while living in Colorado east of the Rockies, the arid climate meant I had the top off the Jeep quite often. I could drive around without worrying about rain, especially because of the drought conditions the years I lived there. On the other hand living here in Chicagoland, taking the top off pretty much guarantees rain, lol.
Sponsored