Sponsored

Whats going on with the diesel?

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Not that it is surprising, but the dealer here has no idea when it can be ordered other than telling me it was confirmed for 2019. I wish they would show up so I can trade in the truck before I need to replace the tires, but neither the tires or FCA are cooperating with me
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I want this Wrangler to last for 20 years at least. My understand is a diesel is more durable and I know better mpg than gas. So if the premium is 5k I'm still going to go for it.
I'll look at all the info again, it's been awhile since I've done my research because I've been waiting this long My s/o has an older Dodge Ram with a Cummins and he's had no issues with the engine. I know a Cummins is in a different realm but he's pretty confident I'll get at least more longevity than the Pentastar.
You're right. The Cummins engine is in a totally different category. It's a "medium duty" engine and is built to totally different specifications. The EcoDiesel is a "light duty" engine with a bad track record. The issues with the EcoDiesel are actually internal design flaws that cause catastrophic engine failure more so than just software/emissions issues. As you probably know, it's been pulled from the Ram lineup until they can get things fixed. I personally doubt that we'll see the EcoDiesel offered again until calender year 2019 at the earliest.

Oh, and good luck taking a modern light duty diesel to 2038. That's going to be VERY costly. The Pentastar will outlast the EcoDiesel and will cost less to own and operate while it's doing so.

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro
You're right. The Cummins engine is in a totally different category. It's a "medium duty" engine and is built to totally different specifications. The EcoDiesel is a "light duty" engine with a bad track record. The issues with the EcoDiesel are actually internal design flaws that cause catastrophic engine failure more so than just software/emissions issues. As you probably know, it's been pulled from the Ram lineup until they can get things fixed. I personally doubt that we'll see the EcoDiesel offered again until calender year 2019 at the earliest.

Oh, and good luck taking a modern light duty diesel to 2038. That's going to be VERY costly. The Pentastar will outlast the EcoDiesel and will cost less to own and operate while it's doing so.
Where have you read that it has a bad track record? I've been reading reviews from people who have the Ram with this engine and I haven't seen anything to make be worried. I did a test drive with a 2014 a few months back and it seemed to work fine.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500

You can go to the dealer today and buy a new diesel 1500. It was temporarily suspended due to emission reasons but as in production. I don't believe it is available on the new 2019 Ram, but it has not been pulled from the lineup

Sponsored

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro

pmcgeejr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited Eco-Diesel (ready to order...)
Occupation
Network Engineer
I'm looking to get a diesel model and called the dealer. They stated it would be the 2019 model (or rumor of it) so maybe even if orders open he said it would be 6-10 weeks when it do and was told the orders wouldn't be open until around October

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I'm looking to get a diesel model and called the dealer. They stated it would be the 2019 model (or rumor of it) so maybe even if orders open he said it would be 6-10 weeks when it do and was told the orders wouldn't be open until around October
I've had dealers tell me false information about order dates so I would buy current inventory. Why I no longer ask dealers anything.

pmcgeejr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited Eco-Diesel (ready to order...)
Occupation
Network Engineer
I've had dealers tell me false information about order dates so I would buy current inventory. Why I no longer ask dealers anything.
I couldn't agree more! I was originally getting a jeep last year and heard rumor of the new JL and the dealers would say its not a new model coming out its going to look the same and so forth. I'm glad I been holding off to see a JL model and yes they made a JK model 2018 but I been waiting on the new updated technology in JL and to have the new engines like the diesel and 2.0 gives more options than the standard 3.6. so far i owned a vehicle with a 3.6 and 2.0 and 2.0 definitely is faster and more gas efficient while the eco-diesel makes me fantasize so hoping that any issues with it get resolved and ordering opens up soon.

4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Sport S 4X4, 1956 Jeep CJ5
Do not forget that the EPA delays Diesel almost always while rarely delays gas engine

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've read a lot about the bad track record of the diesel...but our 2014 GC Summit Diesel has just clicked over on the 80K mark, and it has been 100% problem free. The only thing that we had done was a software update to the Uconnect because it was freezing up when we first got it, and a recall on the axles, which were replaced at no charge during a routine oil change. The engine has been 110% problem free, without ANY issues. Now, will it last 500K like diesels of yesteryear? Who knows, but I can say that our ownership experience has been superb. On the other hand, while my 3.6 pentastar in my JKU has been reliable, I did have to have the oil filter housing replaced due to a design flaw, and my prior 2012 had the notorious head ticking issue which was super wide spread (Although I didn't own it long enough to have it affect me, traded it in for a 2014 at 23000 miles.)

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
I do see today that you can’t buy a RAM with the 3.0, but you can buy it in the GC. That seems interesting.
I’ve heard a couple diesel gurus, (one of which I am not, this would be my first diesel), and they had said something similar to the effect that there were a few years of the Ecodiesel they would avoid, but believe the new ones are fine.
(But I can only assume all engines are fine for the first year or two!)

Travis2929

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Talked to the a local dealer in socal and he said EPA delays are the biggest issue. Stated VW scandal back in 2015 is making it harder. I wanted to wait for the diesel but it doesn't seem we'll see it anytime soon. Especially with 2019 price raises, might just buy an 18 now.

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
To add a diesel to the Ram 1500 is a $3200 option. I hope it's around the same.
If you use the F-150 as a price guide the 3.0L TD option is available only in the higher trim levels with the Lariat being the lowest package avaiable. Then you add $4000 on top of the base Lariat to get the diesel.

If Jeep decides to follow this pricing strategy the diesel will not be avaiable on the Sport- only the Sahara and Rubicon. Then you add $4000 on top of the base Sahara or Rubicon for the diesel option. We are now in the land of a loaded $60k Wrangler.

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
My father is good friends with a engineer at GM. He says that sales are down, but profits are up. FCA must be following the same business model. ‘We can sell less by raising the price $8,000 or so per unit.’
Ford Super Duty trucks for $60-80K before modifications? They weren’t that much a few years ago.
This is almost off topic, sorry, just pointing to the pricing of a ED and how much Wranglers are now.
Sponsored