First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Many people talk about building Rubicon-level capability by buying a new Sport and then strategically adding parts. They're right. It can be done more cost effectively than the cost of a new Rubicon.

The problem is when you go to sell it. The Rubicon will get exceptional resale, while the Sport's modifications will valued at near zero and you'll only monetize the base cost of the Sport. Maybe a little more. The retort is always "Resale is meaningless to me. I'm keeping this Jeep forever". I've heard that dozens of times on this forum. Usually right before they get the itch for a new ride.
Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Many people talk about building Rubicon-level capability by buying a new Sport and then strategically adding parts. They're right. It can be done more cost effectively than the cost of a new Rubicon.
Really? I’d be interested in seeing these numbers and what is considered Rubicon-level capability.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR

The problem is when you go to sell it. The Rubicon will get exceptional resale, while the Sport's modifications will valued at near zero and you'll only monetize the base cost of the Sport. Maybe a little more. The retort is always "Resale is meaningless to me. I'm keeping this Jeep forever". I've heard that dozens of times on this forum. Usually right before they get the itch for a new ride.
Show your work.

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

For me vroom is offering about $4k more than i paid lol. I was planning to get rubi axles eventually, so thats $4k or so. And id still have a base sport with 5” radio. This time ill be getting quite a few options in addition to the rubicon goodies. HIDs, alpine system, 8.4” radio, front camera, trailer tow package, proximity locks and leather. Wouldnt even dream of trying to add that stuff to mine lol

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Show your work.
$30,120 2-door white Sport list price
795 trailer tow and HD electrical (for Aux switches to control lockers)
4,500 take off Rubicon axles
300 Travel to get axles
150 Wiring harness for axles (wild guess)
1,500 Rock-trac transfer case shipped (one on eBay right now)
487 High clearance fenders with liner
200 Sway bar quick disconnect
650 Take off Rubicon tires
329 Tazer mini to correct tire and gearing changes
--------
$39,031

$40,520 2-door white Rubicon list price

So for a new vehicle $1,489 for all the extra goodies that come on a Rubicon plus a factory warrantee make the decision no brainer. Still, it can be done and starts to make sense if you are looking at used vehicles no longer under warrantee.

Extra credit: This analysis doesn't include your labor but also doesn't consider that the Sport axles, transfer case and flares could be sold to recoup a little money. I would argue that the resulting vehicle is actually superior on the trail as it's lighter and you can lock the front axle only which eliminates crabbing on slick side hills.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
For me vroom is offering about $4k more than i paid lol. I was planning to get rubi axles eventually, so thats $4k or so. And id still have a base sport with 5” radio. This time ill be getting quite a few options in addition to the rubicon goodies. HIDs, alpine system, 8.4” radio, front camera, trailer tow package, proximity locks and leather. Wouldnt even dream of trying to add that stuff to mine lol
Do whatever makes you happy. You're in consumerism America. I promise you the the auto loan companies will be smiling. :like: And if not for you, they'll get the next sucker that "needs" a Rubi but can only afford a Nissan Sentra.

HIDs, alpine system, 8.4” radio, front camera, trailer tow package, proximity locks and leather. Wouldnt even dream of trying to add that stuff to mine lol
I'm not saying you, but people that want all this typically end up on the forum in a month asking why the UConnect isn't working, or how to make the Jeep ride "less rough", or my favorite "why is my Jeep wind noise so loud on the freeway?". If you want a G-Wagon, I'd just go for that.

At the end of the day it's just a Jeep. I'm sure you'll enjoy it either way.

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
You aren't missing anything. People want the best that they can afford. If that means getting a Rubicon over another model, then that's what they go with.
I was saying the same thing....... and i now say to myself “ why the heck did i spend 51k and not get the rubicon?”

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

if you plan to run 40s with D60s or whatever and an atlas transfer case and anti-rock sway bars than a rubi is definitely a waste since you'll be ditching the stock axles, transfer case and sway bar disconnect system. sure its worth some cash in resale value but six of one type thing imo.

as far as resale value goes, theyre all wranglers. even Sports are carrying crazy resale value. if one is a few % higher than the other than that really doesnt mean much. is not like the old days between a 4 banger TJ vs the 6. having a fully loaded rubicon for sale certainly limits the pool of available potential buyers since its more $$.

Do whatever makes you happy. You're in consumerism America. I promise you the the auto loan companies will be smiling. :like: And if not for you, they'll get the next sucker that "needs" a Rubi but can only afford a Nissan Sentra.

I'm not saying you, but people that want all this typically end up on the forum in a month asking why the UConnect isn't working, or how to make the Jeep ride "less rough", or my favorite "why is my Jeep wind noise so loud on the freeway?". If you want a G-Wagon, I'd just go for that.

At the end of the day it's just a Jeep. I'm sure you'll enjoy it either way.
thats one thing im afraid of lol. my sport has been trouble free so far. just parachuting sun visors, thats it. it seems all the extra high tech stuff has all the issues.

personally, i dont really care about leather or HID or 8" screen. my wife loves that stuff. i want the front camera and the offroad pages. in order to get the front camera, you have to get HID package and 8.4" screen which comes with the Alpine system automatically. i hate how manufacturers switched to all this package nonsense. i miss the old days where you could choose exactly what you want. i certainly would like the upgraded Alpine system. i considered upgrading my stock system but im not that interested in tearing the interior apart to do so, and deal with potential issues that come up. been there done that. i also want the power windows now. i thought id do fine without. mostly i can. originally i was going to pull the doors off for tubular doors. hasnt happened yet in 3 years lol. its a pain when my kids are in the back and want me to roll the windows down. or as i found out on a difficult obstacle, when the spotter needs me to roll the passenger window down so he can give me verbal directions. before, it was a matter of selling my sport for $30k if im lucky and then spending the difference for the upgrade. right now, that difference is much much less. we're also about to make a killing selling our house so i may pay the difference in cash, though we've been getting 2% interest on all the cars we've bought, so either way we're good. out of 5 vehicles we currently have, its the only car payment.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
No, it can't. I see you put a comparison post on. But you are forgetting all the extras the Rubi offers. A ton of interior extras (7" Uconnect, A/C, power windows/locks, a long list), auto sway bar disconnect, OFFRoad+ and OFFROAD Pages, etc.

The only time you can marginally make the case to start with a Sport is if you are going to go to 1T axles and an Atlas T/C. Even then it is marginal if you consider that Rubi take offs have decent value and Sport takeoffs have nearly zero valuel

Qmed Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma (Crushing on Rubi's)
I Saw in one post that Punk’n metallic might come back. If that’s the case I’d sign on the dotted line lickity split! I’m not a huge fans of the 2021 colors. I may even buy a used one just so that I could have my JL in Punk’n Rubi but I’ve also never had a brand new vehicle and I’d love to own one just to say that’s it’s only been mine. If I go that route then Hydro it is!

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I bought my 2019 JLUR at the end of august when the 2020s were hitting the lot. The dealer was trying to get rid of the 2019s and I found out the one I had spec’d was no different than the 2020 other than a -$10k cheaper price tag than the 2020. I gladly took the 2019 and used the saved $ for mods. Couldn’t be happier! Good luck!

4FA13F3B-FEE6-447F-B90A-4CA92F2672E2.jpeg

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
No, it can't. I see you put a comparison post on. But you are forgetting all the extras the Rubi offers. A ton of interior extras (7" Uconnect, A/C, power windows/locks, a long list), auto sway bar disconnect, OFFRoad+ and OFFROAD Pages, etc.

The only time you can marginally make the case to start with a Sport is if you are going to go to 1T axles and an Atlas T/C. Even then it is marginal if you consider that Rubi take offs have decent value and Sport takeoffs have nearly zero valuel
That was me, not @rickinAZ . I agree that the Rubicon is a terrific bargain considering all those extras. But if what you want is a dedicated trail toy the upgraded Sport makes sense. If you are going to hose out the interior do you really want all those electronics? Those things add weight and fail at the worst time. This isn't just talk. I just pulled the auto sway bar off my brand new Rubicon and replaced with a Mojave sway bar and Synergy disconnects. Saved a lot of weight, gained several inches of ground clearance and is bullet proof.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is Jeep will add 360-degree cameras to JL’s mid-cycle redesign 2023 options list, to appear in a little over a year from now.

Pretty much everyone else is now offering 360 views as an option.
Sponsored