Sponsored

Whats coming in 2022?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
And so it begins.... might as well add the Rubi take-off suspension and 33s since they're going cheap too. Oh, and somebody wanted one-tons so a couple of D44s with lockers and 4.10 ratios just hit the market at a great price.
I like where you're going with this, kindof a death by a bunch of paper cuts. Seriously though, it isn't my style. I don't do a lot of off road activities and being a poser isn't my style. Nothing against those who like the look though, to each their own.

My 2014 Tundra is the 4.6 V8, I didn't like the 18" steel wheels so I got some brand new 20" 1794 takeoffs with tires. A lot of people thought I was silly going with the 4.6, but I don't need the power (or the problems) of the 5.7. Still got the Tundra 7 years later and love it just as much as the day I drove it off the lot. The wheels and step bars (wife's requirement) are the only thing I did to it.

Same thing with the Jeep, I like what the sport offered except those silly steel wheels. Replaced the steel with aluminum and I'm good. I'm going to need to do something with the anemic sound of the stock speakers, probably a processor, amp, and better speakers. But then the sound system of all Jeeps are rather unimpressive.
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Lol! From Jeep? You’re joking right? I trust my install over the factory any day. Jeep doesn’t even follow the torque values they put in their manuals. 😂
They sure can't seem to figure out how to build a damn visor...

On topic, if the punk'n orange came back, I'd have a hard battle with the wife over getting a new one. She really really likes that color.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
What am I missing? Why are people buying the Rubicon when they will never use the options or even go off Road. Just curious.
Really? How do you know this? Do you also know what they are doing with their Moabs, Mojaves, etc...? Not trying to be a smart a$$ but really how can you possibly know?

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Really? How do you know this? Do you also know what they are doing with their Moabs, Mojaves, etc...? Not trying to be a smart a$$ but really how can you possibly know?
Well i mean, the 20 inch wheels are a dead giveaway, and its typically the rubicons i see with those wheels. Not practical at all off road. 😂

I wish we could fit a 16 inch on the JL, that would give such a good footprint on trails while aired down.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Not ALL people want the best they can afford, just most people. I could have bought any Jeep I wanted, even a 392 Rubi, cash. I bought a 6MT Sport, only thing I didn't want was the steel wheels, so I put some Rubi takeoffs on within a month.
Take-offs are, by far, the best way to buy wheels and tires for your Wrangler. A bit of patience and you'll get 5 wheels and almost-new tires for less than the price of the tires.

Sponsored

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
I agree about the 392 being a "special Jeep", I don't think Jeep is going to make as many as they can sell. The reason that I believe this is that FCA just got from under the thumb of Tesla by not needing to buy CO2 emissions credits in merging with PSA Group and becoming Stellantis. The newly formed Stellantis won't want to shift back to buying emissions credits in perpetuity just to have a V8 as an option for the Jeep. It doesn't even seem like Jeep put much into the 392 to make it more capable, they just made it for the coolness factor. I think it is super cool, so their plan worked.
They priced the 392 at a point where it pays for the emissions hit. They'll build them if they can sell them, there is a lot of profit, even with the emissions hit..

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You mean dudes
you're probably right. i think chicks just like jeeps in general. dudes are more impressed by the Rubicon badging. just like a porsche. women get excited over any 911. only men would be humping your leg over the GT3 logo.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Not ALL people want the best they can afford, just most people. I could have bought any Jeep I wanted, even a 392 Rubi, cash. I bought a 6MT Sport, only thing I didn't want was the steel wheels, so I put some Rubi takeoffs on within a month.
After reading the 5 glorious pages on this thread, this attention-seeking one is one of me favorites.

"HEY GUYS, LOOK AT ME. I CAN BUY ANY JEEP WANT.....CASH!........but i'm a cheapskate so i got a bare bones one"

Last edited:

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
i guess you can speak for yourself but certainly not for me. Ive taken my soort offroad more times than i can count and have a few scrapes and scars to prove it. Not only would i like to have factory lockers and D44s front and rear plus the transfer case but i also want some of the extra amenities i skipped over with my current base sport. It would be dumb for me to buy a new sport or sahara with some of the fancy goodies but skip over the rubi extras that i could really use and enjoy for just a few grand more.
I think he might be Santa and can see what we're all doing with our Jeeps.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After reading the 5 glorious pages on this thread, this attention-seeking one is one of me favorites.

"HEY GUYS, LOOK AT ME. I CAN BUY ANY JEEP WANT.....CASH!........but i'm a cheapskate so i got a bare bones one"
If you read my subsequent post, I explain the "why". Not everybody goes "all-in" on everything. If someone wants to daily drive a Rubicon fully tricked out and never hit a dirt road with it, more power to them. There are a subset of us out here that prefer to take the other side of the coin. If I lived somewhere where I was into off-roading and could use the capability then I'd buy the Rubicon, I don't. I figure unimproved roads in the mountains are about as much action as my Jeep is going to see.

I do however run as an activity and go through $150 pairs of athletic shoes quite often, usually a pair every 7 weeks back when I ran marathons.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S

It's the ole humble brag. I get the sentiment though. You don't get rich spending money and I've yet to find something I've wanted to do that our Sport couldn't handle. It isn't a coincidence all these high end vehicles are selling well since 72/84 month loans started getting popular. Some people just can't wait to hand their money back.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On topic, maybe they'll release some factory 35's around the time that Bronco's start showing up at the dealers?
That would be easy to add with the 4.10s on the Rubi. Take the standard Rubicon, put it on a 2" lift, put on 35's and call it the Rubicon Xtreme, retail it for 3K more than the standard Rubi.

Maybe they'll give us some gearing options from the factory. Unfortunately the 6MT seems to be in deprecation mode, the Bronco has a 7MT with a crawler gear. I wonder who is making the 7MT for the Bronco?

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Well the topic is MY22 changes coming... I hope to see more in line with the Bronco as well. More bright colors, rubber floors, roof rack or factory attachment points, 35s, etc. All things I believe JL should have from the beginning.

The conversation drifted to why do people buy a Rubicon. I can say this since I am on my second JL (both 2-door, 3.6L, Manual). This vehicle is a toy for me and I use it more off-road than anything. I had a Sport and hated the gearing as 5th and 6th were basically useless. So I planned to re-gear, but that really meant more than just the diffs. Then to lockers. Past that the headlights were terrible. I had a Sport (non S) and loved the plain, utilitarian design. But oh those headlights. The list started to add up. This is not my daily and I love to work on my vehicles, but it's also a matter of available time. So I opted for the Rubicon to get a head start on some of this stuff. I really don't like that you are forced into power windows and stupid fancy HVAC. Give me a capable off road vehicle with crank windows and a blue/red knob and I'm really happy. It's a Jeep.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Well i mean, the 20 inch wheels are a dead giveaway, and its typically the rubicons i see with those wheels. Not practical at all off road. 😂

I wish we could fit a 16 inch on the JL, that would give such a good footprint on trails while aired down.
I have a neighbor and some friends that have non off road wheels and tires that get swapped out before they go offroading. No way I would know otherwise.
Sponsored