Sponsored

What's aluminum / steel on the 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
So I know construction of the JL will be different than the JK and they'll start using aluminum, but what exactly should we expect to be aluminum and what will be steel?
Sponsored

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Marchionne has been quoted as saying "There will be a large portion of that vehicle that will be aluminum. It will not be all aluminum... We've run the numbers and we've simulated mileage and the impact... Because of the difference in cost--not just of the material but the actual assembly process-- I think we can do almost as well without doing it all-aluminum. I think we can get very close."

Since we know production is staying in Toledo, it can be guessed that the body will be primarily if not all steel and get aluminum hood, doors, and tailgate.

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
Unfortunately when he said we can get very close he was probably referring to the changes in the roof structure. In that case I'd rather get all aluminum, have production move out of Toledo keep the removable roof.

OP
OP
Aggie

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Marchionne has been quoted as saying "There will be a large portion of that vehicle that will be aluminum. It will not be all aluminum... We've run the numbers and we've simulated mileage and the impact... Because of the difference in cost--not just of the material but the actual assembly process-- I think we can do almost as well without doing it all-aluminum. I think we can get very close."

Since we know production is staying in Toledo, it can be guessed that the body will be primarily if not all steel and get aluminum hood, doors, and tailgate.
How much could the sheetmetal on the Wrangler weigh anyway? it's just a steel frame with a few flimsy sheets covering it. Would AL hood and doors even save 150-200 pounds?

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger

I've also read that we might see some aluminum in the suspension - knuckles and portions of the axle.

I wouldn't miss aluminum in the body. It's harder and more expensive to fix.

Sponsored

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
I'm sure they will take some of the learnings from the Pork Chop concept they showed at the 2011 Easter Jeep Safari. They managed to shed 850 pounds from the 2011 Wrangler Sport. Yea a lot of it was ripping out the doors, tailgate and bumpers but they also replaced components with aluminum, used carbon fiber reinforced plastic and other lightweight materials.

They followed that up with the Stitch concept based on the 2013 Rubicon by giving it aluminum lower control arms, floor pan and fuel tank. I'm glad they didnt go unibody and hopeful the use of aluminum can all add up to make a big weight difference. They took out over 1100 pounds on the Stitch mostly from the stripped AC and audio but still very impressive.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

So glad it is staying BOF. Going full aluminum unibody would result in skyrocketed repair costs. Just not worth it since the advantages of lighter weight can be accomplished with more aerodynamic changes.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I would have preferred all aluminum body panels - especially living in the rust belt. My 1985 CJ-7 is rusting to pieces in the driveway, while my 1972 Series III Land Rover aluminum body panels are fine (other than faded paint and some dents). Granted new cars are much improved in terms of rust prevention. But over time I hate chasing the rust monster.

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
With modern day e-coating rust should not be a big issue. Of course high grade aluminum can also corrode if exposed.

For me I don't baby my Wrangler so I'd be worried of an all aluminum JL that could be easily dented/dinged and be harder and more expensive to repair.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

With modern day e-coating rust should not be a big issue. Of course high grade aluminum can also corrode if exposed.

For me I don't baby my Wrangler so I'd be worried of an all aluminum JL that could be easily dented/dinged and be harder and more expensive to repair.
How about this for scary? $17,000!

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/how-a-2015-ford-f-150-aluminum-repair-cost-17-000-and-1719664610

We'd see a lot of totaled Wranglers if that were to be the case with the JL.

Sponsored

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
The companies mostly just care about cost of the materials and assembly process. Repair costs are less their concern since it's passed on to the buyer. Just look at Ford, ever since the all aluminum F150 was launched they've been trying to fight the perception (and reality) that repair costs have sky rocketed.

Frankie L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I'm coming from a Tacoma but the times I got to drive a Wrangler i always notice how easily it gets wind tossed around on the road. I'm not sure a much lighter version would be good if it keeps its completely boxy design.

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
That new 4 banger is going to need an overall lighter vehicle to not feel underpowered i think.

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
I'm coming from a Tacoma but the times I got to drive a Wrangler i always notice how easily it gets wind tossed around on the road. I'm not sure a much lighter version would be good if it keeps its completely boxy design.
Just a few degrees better aerodynamics in terms of the front fascia and windshield will make a big difference on the road at higher speeds. I've got a feeling the JL is going to be a much better road vehicle.

OP
OP
Aggie

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
That new 4 banger is going to need an overall lighter vehicle to not feel underpowered i think.
I think the turbo 4 may surprise with its power. Especially if it's positioned as the higher more expensive engine choice. A turbo 4 with manual should put down good power due to lower drivetrain loss too compared to an auto.
Sponsored