Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
What is the Wrangler?

A couple of months ago, bitten by the bug to get a Wrangler, coincidence found my filling the gas of my Honda Pilot at the same time as a Wrangler owner: a middle aged contemporary.

Forced idle time, elevators notwithstanding, often make the best opportunities for conversation, whether waiting on the line at the Post Office or gassing up.

I politely explained to the man that I was genuinely interested in the Wrangler, (now that my aging 3 rowed Honda Pilot had long outlived its usefulness in shuffling around children (now driving themselves) and their friends) and asked if he wouldn't mind sharing with me his greatest likes and dislikes about the vehicle.

“Well forgetting the gas mileage for a moment,” his single criticism and aptly voiced—as we were both filling our tanks at the time--this Wrangler owner went on about the pros of the vehicle that have so often been covered in this forum, and that I'll spare you, and concluded his summary with what I thought was a very unique take, for me at least.

“One of the things I like most about the Wrangler is that driving one doesn't stereotype or define you.” Republicans and Democrats drive it...old and young people drive it; rich people and not so rich people.”

This remark stuck with me, in part because of the following:

I say this as a matter of fact,: it's not snobbishness. If fact, truth be told, it's probably more embarrassing that neutral or bragging:

Many years ago my wife and I opted to buy a smaller home in a more affluent area: it's all about the schools you know. In it, one can throw a stone and find some High Schooler driving a Wrangler purchased by their folks that will never go off pavement: so hardly is my locale reflective of true Wrangler demographics.

But for the rest of us, while there are some very well defined segments of the Wrangler marketplace, like the rock crawlers or the mall crowd, part of the allure of the vehicle is that we get to make it our own, both as a concept in our heads and wallets. I spoke with the nicest of guys in the supermarket parking lot about his rig, outfitted for offroad in ways I'd never do myself, and I expressed as such, and despite this, he kindly showed me (rather than shunned me) some features I asked about. I spoke with the nicest of ladies on this forum (yes, my wife knows) about Koons, which led to talk of our shared experiences driving in Hawaii: hers in a Wrangler, and how her love for the vehicle was no more or less than mine or the supermarket or gasoline guy's, even if for different reasons.

On the whole, I find this forum extremely kind compared to others in subject matter far from automobiles, let alone Wranglers. But there's the occasional “one liners,” posters which we all accept, if not like, that equate making a purchase decision with the spouse's approval with being wimpy, or how the only real Wrangler or soldier was one who drove the WWII Willy's, or how not buying the Rubi because you've got a budget to balance equates with watered down enthusiasm.

At the end of the day, the Wrangler may be a wonderful machine with focus on offroad capabilities, but it is also no less what gets an emergency responder through the mud to someone in need of aid, a little ballerina in the back seat to her recital, a woman surfer on to the beach, an off roading mud loving Moab enthusiast a thrill, new parents their baby home, an Obstetrician to the hospital in snow to delivery that baby, or a commuter home from work.

At the end of the day what we all share in common is the fact that our Wrangler is what we make of it. Whether an AEV Brute, or the Lilly Pulitzer series, it's for people who want to enjoy not simply getting to the destination safely, but the ride itself.

(I don't write copy for a living; I don't work in the automobile industry.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
Kudos! Nicely written.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well written. Thanks for posting.

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
I like your style, dude.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
There are much more one line posters than you think OP...lol. Always fun to read about people new to Wranglers and why they got one. I can go on and on about the Wrangler but looks like you get it.

Don’t forget the Wrangler wave! *I don’t call it Jeep wave cause I only wave to Wranglers...lol.

Sponsored

Orly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Tacoma, 04 Sienna, 06 Suzuki Boulevard
Occupation
Healthcare
Interesting points you make. Many similarities with motorcycle ownership. Cruisers such as mine have endless aftermarket goodies than allow each owner to make it there own. Traveling on the bike is probably more about the ride than the destination. There's even the biker wave.

My bike is what has driven me towards the Wrangler after considering convertibles in general. A week long bike trip of 2-up riding gets a little frustrating after a few days and weather can exasperate that further. The Wrangler would fill that niche perfectly for us.

Riviera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2022 WL75
My wife and I had a 2012 Wrangler and loved it, but traded it in for an orange (Inferno) TRD PIro 4Runner, thinking it would be more civilized while still allowing us to get well off the the beaten path. I recall after joining the 4Runner forum, seeing a lot of nasty posts about ex-Wrangler drivers. I mentioned that the Wrangler forum I used to go on was incredibly friendly and open to all interests, but was still insulted. A few years back I had a Frontier Pro4x and remembered The Frontier being a very hostile forum (only to the fault of a few members). I think Wrangler owners, in general, are kind and helpful, something I also see on IH8mud (we also own a 98 LX470 [Lexus Land Cruiser]). Cheers to all who try to help their fellow man and enjoy making new friends!

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
yes it is and a lot of that and much more.

J.R. Quimby

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ Sport
YJ, Jurassic Park. I was 12, those park Jeeps were the bomb! Of course I was just a kid, so getting a Jeep was out of the question but it was on my mind. Years later my first car was a 94 Nissan Sentra. Should have been a Jeep because thats how I used it! Sentras will go places if you really want them too ;) I went to a dealrship and tried a TJ, had the I6 and six speed Diamler transmission, solid, basic, lovely. I couldn't afford it, such is life. So the JK came out, honestly I didn't like it, I find it ugly. I was also one of the ones at the time who were turned off by the four door! So now, its funny, I didn't even know there was a redesign and I had just bought a dowdy, yet comfortable and very snow capable 17' 300 Limited.. I came here and dug around and you know what, time for that Jeep I have always wanted!
Sponsored