What Year/Color JL Wranglers have least Galvanic Corrosion

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Aluminum doors and steel hinges. Thatā€™s the problem.
Itā€™s not the problem. JL hinges are not steel.

This is from aluminum-guide.com

Galvanic corrosion of aluminum
The most frequent errors aluminum structural design associated with galvanic corrosion. Galvanic or electrochemical corrosion occurs, when two dissimilar metals form an electrical circuit, closes the liquid electrolyte or a film or a corrosive environment. Under these conditions, the potential difference between dissimilar metals produces electric current, passing through the electrolyte, which (current) leads to corrosion primarily of the anode or less noble metal from this pair.

SUMMARY galvanic corrosion
When two different metals come in direct contact with the electroconductive liquid, experience shows, that one of them can corrode, ie corrode. This is called galvanic corrosion.

Other metal will not corrode, conversely, it will be protected from this type of corrosion.

This type of corrosion is different from the types of corrosion, that might arise, if both of these metals were placed separately into the same liquid. Galvanic corrosion may occur with any metal, as soon as the two different metals are in contact in an electrically conductive liquid.
I very familiar with what galvanic corrosion is. The problem is that the JL doors, hood, tailgate and hinges are all made from aluminum. Thereā€™s no dissimilar metals.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
2019 Billet Silver Metallic. Currently at the Dealerā€™s body shop getting repaired. Passenger door hinges, minor - hardly noticeable. Drivers door lower leading edge at the curve in the door - hard to see standing up but when you are down low, very obvious. Hood, just left of center - nearly 4 inches across and moving up the hood 3/4 of an inch. Very obvious.

Reported this at 36K when getting an oil change (Jeep Wave). My service manager understood and said give him a chance to get with FCA on how to process the claim. It was fairly minor then. At 59K, it was as described above. I was in for the 60K service and the service manager came back to me and said ā€œ3 days to fix, no chargeā€ so I said letā€™s do it.

Parks Motors of Augusta, KS - excellent experience each time I visit. The Jeep is my third purchase and second Jeep from them. I was prepared for push back on the corrosion but it never happened. I did have plan B - did the math on trade in value and a Sting Grey Rubicon with identical equipment and more. If I donā€™t like the result I have the choice of living with it and just have fun OR trade up and yes, just have fun!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For all you JL Wrangler owners out there, what year and color is your Wrangler? Are you seeing galvanic corrosion on the hinges and door/hood edges? I am looking to purchase a used JL Wrangler and hoping to identify which years and/or colors tend to have less galvanic corrosion problems. Is there a ā€˜fixā€™ that prevents it from coming back after repair? Thanks!
2018 GCM , zero issuesā€¦.

Jeep Wrangler JL What Year/Color JL Wranglers have least Galvanic Corrosion 9DCEBBCD-0612-4E19-9ABF-8DCDD638E252

Last edited:

Deleted member 59498

The tailgates are magnesium are they not? Or some alloy of magnesium.

I think most of them are older JLs at any rate.

Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
The tailgates are magnesium are they not? Or some alloy of magnesium.

I think most of them are older JLs at any rate.
I thought they were a composite material? Not Fiberglass but not metal; some kind of synthetic polymer. They certainly donā€™t sound like metal when you close themā€¦ and magnesium and water react and give off hydrogen gasā€¦. It wouldnā€™t be a good metal to use on a vehicle that you might get wet.

bruckus

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Rubicon 2dr m/t, 21 4Runner Pro, 19 Trail Boss
2020 Rubicon Sting Grey. Both door hinges and both hood hinges. Have not brought it in for eval yet. Probably this fall.

Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
2021 Snazzberry with 50k on the odometer. No issues.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Itā€™s not the problem. JL hinges are not steel.

I very familiar with what galvanic corrosion is. The problem is that the JL doors, hood, tailgate and hinges are all made from aluminum. Thereā€™s no dissimilar metals.
The hinge is aluminum, but the hinge pin that is pressed into it is steel and it's the interface between the hinge and the hinge pin flange where the hinge corrosion is originating from.

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
Did everyone else see Galvanic corrosion and click on this article too?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
The hinge is aluminum, but the hinge pin that is pressed into it is steel and it's the interface between the hinge and the hinge pin flange where the hinge corrosion is originating from.
Hereā€™s just a couple from mine. Nowhere near the hinge pin. None of the hinges actually have any visible issues - just the doors and hood.
Jeep Wrangler JL What Year/Color JL Wranglers have least Galvanic Corrosion IMG_3925

Jeep Wrangler JL What Year/Color JL Wranglers have least Galvanic Corrosion IMG_3920

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
2018 Billet JLUR- multiple hinges including hood hinges and multiple door edges.

Will be fixed under warranty
Sponsored