Sponsored

What would you pay for Proximity Lock Post Sales Install Guidance?

How much paid for proximity lock post purchase install guidance?

• Total voters

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Suppose somebody figured out how to install proximity locks after sale, that guided you with documentation on every part, its source, and step to setting this up yourself, and followed a path that required the minimal dealer involvement (i.e. $).

What might you pay for that--assuming of course you didn't opt in for this feature at purchase?

(Parts not included.)
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Suppose somebody figured out how to install proximity locks after sale, that guided you with documentation on every part, its source, and step to setting this up yourself, and followed a path that required the minimal dealer involvement (i.e. $).

What might you pay for that--assuming of course you didn't opt in for this feature at purchase?

(Parts not included.)
Not sure a market for such info would be feasible - there'd be virtually no way to copyright it and it would end up all over the Internet in no time anyway.

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer

(Parts not included.)

Compustar had this out YEARS ago.

https://www.compustar.com/accessories/ez-go/

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
have it on my other Grand and SRT, never use it, so used to using clicker FOB, didnt waste 400$ on current Sahara and Rubicon on order. Plus use the remote start to cool down and warm up, so dont really need it.

has someone figured out how to add it?

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Not sure a market for such info would be feasible - there'd be virtually no way to copyright it and it would end up all over the Internet in no time anyway.
Yeah, copyright or not, it would be hard to enforce licensing payments from those who steal such content. Oh well, there goes incentivizing someone to do this for the money it might make them.

Sponsored

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Others share recommendations, good ideas, and work arounds just to be a helpful member of the Jeep Community. I can't imagine that many folks would care to hire someone they don't know from the internet to be their technical advisor. Just sayin...

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Is this third party? I am not quite getting the jist of this. This connectivity for a Jeep factory feature just needs to come from Mopar. Sure there is some labor involved with harnesses, but this should be a dealer type add-on.

I can see some other features, like an after market remote start or perhaps a third party alarm system that ties into the electronic for Uconnect, but this seems so integral to an existing system, and seemingly simple activity for a dealer to do.

DezertTitan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
I chose other as well. I don't think I would pay anything for 3rd party guidance. I highly recommend getting them from the factory if that's something you think you may want. That's what I did. However, I would expect installation and setup instructions already provided with any aftermarket purchases.

With that said - I don't know how the install would go. However, I imagine there's an RFID reader within the two front handles & rear hatch handle. Jeep probably runs a default wiriing loom setup so the wire is there whether in use or not. In that case, the only real addition to door handle installation would be to plug in an extra wire for the chip reader inside the new door handles. Aside from that, there shouldn't be anything beyond a CPU reflash, turning on the feature & syncing the code reader/authenticator with the new keyfob.

Then again that would make sense. So they probably run 15 different loom configurations and then custom build each door to make it work. /s

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I chose other as well. I don't think I would pay anything for 3rd party guidance. I highly recommend getting them from the factory if that's something you think you may want. That's what I did. However, I would expect installation and setup instructions already provided with any aftermarket purchases.

With that said - I don't know how the install would go. However, I imagine there's an RFID reader within the two front handles & rear hatch handle. Jeep probably runs a default wiriing loom setup so the wire is there whether in use or not. In that case, the only real addition to door handle installation would be to plug in an extra wire for the chip reader inside the new door handles. Aside from that, there shouldn't be anything beyond a CPU reflash, turning on the feature & syncing the code reader/authenticator with the new keyfob.

Then again that would make sense. So they probably run 15 different loom configurations and then custom build each door to make it work. /s
The install has been covered on here in several threads. The handles contain no RFID readers. They sense changes in capacitance and are WIRED to the door harness. There are 5 antennas, one center instrument panel, one each B pillar, one each rear quarter. Saharas and Rubicons already have these antennas present, not sure on the Sport/Sport S. All of these antennas are wired to the rf hub located on the drivers side, over rear fender.

All of the parts required are mentioned in other threads. Door handles, door handle caps, main door harnesses, rear jumper harness for tailgate. The processes for install and removal of these components is available on FCA Tech Authority site.

Similar to keyless start, you approach the vehicle, the key fob wakes up, one of the five antennas sense this. Put your hand on the door handle while the fob is in range of one of the antennas and unlock signal will be sent via the RF hub to the BCM. For keyless start, the key has to be in range of the center instrument panel antenna.

The issue continues to be getting a dealer to add sales code to the vehicle in the FCA Mopar database, AND program the BCM and rf hub. The rf hub, for those with power locks, is only programmed to sense key fob presses, or keyless start functions.

After-market programmers have attempted to tackle this without success. An FCA tech on this forum was able to get this done on his personal Wrangler, but I have not heard of anyone else being able to do this.

So my question is what exactly would the "guidance" be? For $25 or so I can download all the reference material I want from FCA (for 24 hours). Or I can just by the whole CD for like $125.

The other stuff -actually configuring the BCM/RF hub - well, that's just not happening without dealer assistance. But if someone figures it out without dealer involvement, please..... post it.

Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
If you were providing a kit with instructions, then it might be something folks would pay for, but this is kinda like asking a family member how much they'd pay to get your potato salad recipe that's you got off the Internet.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I cast a vote but don’t really understand the point of this thread, other than to tease something that has already been discussed as not possible at this time. And to maybe clutter up any searches for legit information.

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I cast a vote but don’t really understand the point of this thread, other than to tease something that has already been discussed as not possible at this time. And to maybe clutter up any searches for legit information.
..I thought that with money backing the project, what isn't possible at this time, might be possible in a month...;)

Adrenalista

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
I loved this feature on my GC. When they finally brought it over to the JL along with adaptive cruise control it removed the last obstacle to swapping my GC for the JL. I think it’s great you might be able to crack the code on this, but you might have a bigger market with the JK crew. Since only the JL 18’s don’t benefit from it as an option. Although interestingly enough my dealer said they could not configure a Moab to have this option either? Not sure if that was reality or ignorance.

You could create an educator account and post a video and guide out on Udemy or another Pay For Ed site like that. But it won’t block someone from... eventually... recreating their own video/content and posting it for free themselves.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I’m not opposed to paying $50-100 for the info on principle, but it would depend on the total cost of the install. I wouldn’t spend more than about $500 total on the install, so if the parts were $450, say, I wouldn’t want to spend more than $50 on the instructions.
Sponsored