Sponsored

What would you do?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Rubitrux has low mileage take out 3.6 engines for $2700 delivered if they end up not covering it.
Sponsored

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
....I would not use a 3.6 other than stock. If you are definitely seeking performance, then use a performance built engine.
Is there a way to build the 3.6L to handle FAI before you add the FAI, or would you being throwing good money after bad?

I wont't give up my manual, but I want more power out of my little 3.6, especially in the 2-3k range. I was going to go Eldebrock, but if I need to swap pistons, rings and heads before I install, then it might not be worth it.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Is there a way to build the 3.6L to handle FAI before you add the FAI, or would you being throwing good money after bad?

I wont't give up my manual, but I want more power out of my little 3.6, especially in the 2-3k range. I was going to go Eldebrock, but if I need to swap pistons, rings and heads before I install, then it might not be worth it.
The pistons and rings are key components that aren't up to the task in my opinion. The increase in compression and combustion pressure and temperature can push the pistons and rings to failure. Not to mention the head gaskets.

The top compression rings can get hotter causing the ring gap to close causing broken piston rings. Or the top compression ring can seize in the cylinder and can rip the top of the piston off.

I think it's better to build an engine with the intended performance level it'll be subjected to. Compression Ring gaps need to be increased and head gasket type should be upgraded. Cast aluminum pistons can't take the heat and pressures that hyperuetectics and forged pistons can.

It's your engine, but you can find these common failures in plenty of documents tied directly to performance adders like turbo chargers, superchargers or such. Yes, you may get away with it with 100% factory parts. Just be aware of the risk.

Sponsored

AZtorque

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel, 06 Rubicon LJ
My JL diesel engine is stock but I do also have a LS 5.3(LH8) / 4L60E conversion on my 06 LJ Rubicon. I had 186k miles on my original 4.0 and talked myself into an engine conversion. I would not do it again. I had the work done at a professional shop that specializes in Jeep conversions and has had several Jeeps at SEMA. Even with all their experience, things like tuning & cooling produce a whole host of gremlins. Count on several trips back to the shop to tighten up loose ends. Then, after you get the loose ends worked out, finding local shops that will to touch a "Frankenstein" for general work can be difficult. I've had to become a pretty good shade-tree mechanic as a result. Whatever cost you think it will take to get the engine conversion completed, add $5-$10k in additional expenses. My LJ is a beast and very fun to drive but the investment in time and money was not worth it.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

My JL diesel engine is stock but I do also have a LS 5.3(LH8) / 4L60E conversion on my 06 LJ Rubicon. I had 186k miles on my original 4.0 and talked myself into an engine conversion. I would not do it again. I had the work done at a professional shop that specializes in Jeep conversions and has had several Jeeps at SEMA. Even with all their experience, things like tuning & cooling produce a whole host of gremlins. Count on several trips back to the shop to tighten up loose ends. Then, after you get the loose ends worked out, finding local shops that will to touch a "Frankenstein" for general work can be difficult. I've had to become a pretty good shade-tree mechanic as a result. Whatever cost you think it will take to get the engine conversion completed, add $5-$10k in additional expenses. My LJ is a beast and very fun to drive but the investment in time and money was not worth it.
Could not agree more! Everyone thinks these conversions are easy and cheap to do. Never turns out that way if you want it right. I only had 45,000 miles on my TJ and went with a bolt on supercharger that ended up costing about 4k all in. Everyone was telling me I could swap a V8 for the same money... Never had a problem with the supercharger or added expense behind initial cost for supercharger, pulleys, and gauges.

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium

Could not agree more! Everyone thinks these conversions are easy and cheap to do. Never turns out that way if you want it right. I only had 45,000 miles on my TJ and went with a bolt on supercharger that ended up costing about 4k all in. Everyone was telling me I could swap a V8 for the same money... Never had a problem with the supercharger or added expense behind initial cost for supercharger, pulleys, and gauges.
Hey I appreciate that info guys, that’s what I was worried about - engine adventures. I ended up putting a 3.6 back in it and sold it, along with a car, and got into a 392. It’s pretty great, life is good. Trying to work up the courage to go beat on it on local trails!

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
Stroked and built K series Honda 4cyl Turbo. Great fuel economy, amazing reliability, easy to acquire, and power/torque for days. You will need a standalone ecu.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I put a 6bt into a ‘72 k10. Still have it. The last 10% took 90% of the time and budget. Lol I remember the day I got the engine/trans/tranny in and mounted for the last time. I thought “I’m almost there!”. 1.5 years later I was lol - and that was all mechanical.

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Build the 3.6 into a low compression forged internals and twin turbo.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hey I appreciate that info guys, that’s what I was worried about - engine adventures. I ended up putting a 3.6 back in it and sold it, along with a car, and got into a 392. It’s pretty great, life is good. Trying to work up the courage to go beat on it on local trails!
Was it covered by Magnusson?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I thought of doing a super charger or a turbo, in the end I said when the 3.6 is done, I will swap a Hemi or an LS into the Jeep.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Stroked and built K series Honda 4cyl Turbo. Great fuel economy, amazing reliability, easy to acquire, and power/torque for days. You will need a standalone ecu.
I think you might be the first person ever to say k series and torque for days in the same sentence. Typically a k series makes 30-40% less torque than horsepower and doesn’t make shit for power or torque below 3k rpm. Sure if you turn up the boost enough it will make more power than any of the stock offerings, but you’d have to push it well past 600 horsepower to match the torque of the 392 or diesel stock. Even then the torque would be too high in the rpm for technical trails, unless you go the Toyota build route and throw in a doubler. Not the route I’d go in a Jeep build, but to each his own.

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I ended up putting a 3.6 back in it and selling it, and eventually got the 392 jeep.

Bc I traded my car in too, the 392 is my daily driver. I put the teraflex spare carrier on it, MC front LCA to dial in caster, got my old winch and light mounted, and 35s. I was kinda pleased that my tire/wheel package was net zero for weight gain. Tires are 10lbs heavier, wheels are 10 lighter. I had never run 35s before, honestly super stoked with them. Feels light, and I think capable enough for the trails I want to get on. For now at least.

From here I’ll get skids and probably rails. I hope to keep it fairly light bc it pulls daily driver duty.

This engine is truly great in the jeep, just man-handled the weight. It’s no racer obviously, but feels nimble and quick. Just super capable.
Jeep Wrangler JL What would you do? FA16B2E6-2FC1-46C9-8799-188DC8644FA6

Jeep Wrangler JL What would you do? 179AF890-2B2C-4A30-8F50-C3F0D7126EC1

Jeep Wrangler JL What would you do? A127A3DE-4EBA-4C4E-BCE4-FEE367D1C2D2

Jeep Wrangler JL What would you do? B041B5F7-D077-4569-9BDD-9A818676E2D2
Sponsored