What would you do?

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I have an 18 JLUR 6 Speed, which is the 3.6L engine. I've had the Magnuson Supercharger on it since last September or so, always with the stock tune that came from Petty's garage at the time. My supercharged engine recently shit the bed and is likely getting replaced. Working through my shop now and the Magnuson warranty process, fingers crossed that the warranty will be fully honored. The performance was great until it failed, and there was no big event (towing, climbing, etc) that lead to failure. All of sudden just lost power, a few other noticeable symptoms. Compression and leak down showing major issues, and my passenger cat is destroyed / gone. I am not a trail king, don't race, and I take care of my jeep - maintenance and fluids, 93 octane fuel, etc. I was by the book, and my engine appears toasted. CEL finally indicated on the day I drove my jeep to my off-road shop, but not before. I don't know everything yet, and I'm no mechanic - I probably won't be able to answer many technical questions and the jeep is not currently in my hands. Not all is 100% determined, as we're going step by step with Magnuson to diagnose and walk through their process. BUT..new engine seems likely.

So - I suspect I'm on my way to a new engine. I've had the following thoughts about my options:

- The 3.6L Pentastar

So this would be the direct replacement. I found the 3.6with manual transmission on 37's is pretty weak (even with gearing). The SC woke it up. I'm leery of putting the Magnuson back on a 3.6, after my experience. Maybe it was an issue with the tune, I've read the newer Magnusson tune is better. But still - I'd feel kind of idiotic doing it AGAIN. And I don't have the depth that folks like Kurt and Dave do - this forum and gladiator - to home-brew an intelligent and bullet proof set up. I need to rely on the box stock blower, and I'm leery of doing that again. I've read that the Eddlebrock kit may be the safest, but honestly I'm scared-off of adding any FI to my wrangler at this point. The benefits may be - the safest and most basic route. It's what the transmission was mated with. If I care about warranty..maybe having Jeep install a 3.6 is my best idea (not sure of any warranty, tbh, but seems like Jeep installing a new 3.6 is the safest and most vanilla bet).

- Any Hemi or LS

Most of the shops that are known for engine conversions - rubitrux, bruiser, Dakota, etc - I think the majority of them advise that their swaps are for AUTO transmission only. So there's that. There's also the fact that I'd just be upping the ante. As in - oh you think FI is an adventure with unpredictable outcomes? Wait til you engine swap and mate to your manual transmission...enjoy the ride. Plus..now with the 392 out, I have a hard time ignoring the possibility of selling my Jeep (and a few other treasures maybe) and starting with a 392.

- Other JL Wrangler "Stock Engines" - Focus on 3.0 Eco-Diesel

I don't find anything very interesting or worth considering about the 3.6 ETorque, or the 2.0 Turbo (in comparison the stock 3.6 ESS). The 3.0 EcoDiesel is interesting for torque, and fuel economy / range. I like diesel, but I realize modern deisel symptoms add complexity and this engine maybe less proven. I don't even know if mating the 3.0 Eco Diesel to the manual transmission is an option, it'd certainly be a one of a kind. Maybe also an adventure not worth taking, I don't know how to consider reliability here.

Bottom Line...

What would you do if you were me? And last question - do you think my potential resell value has PLUMMETED on the basis of having a new engine installed? Let's say I install the stock 3.6...do you think my resell value will take a major hit? It's a well built jeep with quality gear..stock axles, but otherwise well outfitted.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
stock engine replacement will not hurt resale value, if anything it may help... assuming a new one goes in. (Used car manager for 3 franchise dealerships)
Awesome, thanks for sharing that. That's really good to know. I'd be adamant on a new one going in, I'd take that fight pretty hard if I needed to. I'd be shocked if Magnuson insisted on giving me a used engine. Looking at their warranty, I think their supposed to allow up to 12.5k for engine costs. Don't quote me, and not gospel, and I may not be reading the correct Magnuson document...But I read something like that. That's a fair bit more than the cost to install a 3.6, I believe. So hopefully, should be good to go. Also, I expect they'd give the cost of the SC and the labor for install.

Sponsored

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Awesome, thanks for sharing that. That's really good to know. I'd be adamant on a new one going in, I'd take that fight pretty hard if I needed to. I'd be shocked if Magnuson insisted on giving me a used engine. Looking at their warranty, I think their supposed to allow up to 12.5k for engine costs. Don't quote me, and not gospel, and I may not be reading the correct Magnuson document...But I read something like that. That's a fair bit more than the cost to install a 3.6, I believe. So hopefully, should be good to go. Also, I expect they'd give the cost of the SC and the labor for install.
My best guess is Magnuson is going to try and warranty their supercharger but not the motor. Good luck my dude.

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
My best guess is Magnuson is going to try and warranty their supercharger but not the motor. Good luck my dude.
I surely hope you're wrong!!

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

How many miles did you have on it with the supercharger? Never had a problem with the charger I put on my 4.0L and was thinking about doing the same with the 3.6L. I would imagine you have to prove it was the charger that blew the engine for them to replace both. Keep us updated, if they do warranty your engine, that is a pretty good deal.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have an 18 JLUR 6 Speed, which is the 3.6L engine. I've had the Magnuson Supercharger on it since last September or so, always with the stock tune that came from Petty's garage at the time. My supercharged engine recently shit the bed and is likely getting replaced. Working through my shop now and the Magnuson warranty process, fingers crossed that the warranty will be fully honored. The performance was great until it failed, and there was no big event (towing, climbing, etc) that lead to failure. All of sudden just lost power, a few other noticeable symptoms. Compression and leak down showing major issues, and my passenger cat is destroyed / gone. I am not a trail king, don't race, and I take care of my jeep - maintenance and fluids, 93 octane fuel, etc. I was by the book, and my engine appears toasted. CEL finally indicated on the day I drove my jeep to my off-road shop, but not before. I don't know everything yet, and I'm no mechanic - I probably won't be able to answer many technical questions and the jeep is not currently in my hands. Not all is 100% determined, as we're going step by step with Magnuson to diagnose and walk through their process. BUT..new engine seems likely.

So - I suspect I'm on my way to a new engine. I've had the following thoughts about my options:

- The 3.6L Pentastar

So this would be the direct replacement. I found the 3.6with manual transmission on 37's is pretty weak (even with gearing). The SC woke it up. I'm leery of putting the Magnuson back on a 3.6, after my experience. Maybe it was an issue with the tune, I've read the newer Magnusson tune is better. But still - I'd feel kind of idiotic doing it AGAIN. And I don't have the depth that folks like Kurt and Dave do - this forum and gladiator - to home-brew an intelligent and bullet proof set up. I need to rely on the box stock blower, and I'm leery of doing that again. I've read that the Eddlebrock kit may be the safest, but honestly I'm scared-off of adding any FI to my wrangler at this point. The benefits may be - the safest and most basic route. It's what the transmission was mated with. If I care about warranty..maybe having Jeep install a 3.6 is my best idea (not sure of any warranty, tbh, but seems like Jeep installing a new 3.6 is the safest and most vanilla bet).

- Any Hemi or LS

Most of the shops that are known for engine conversions - rubitrux, bruiser, Dakota, etc - I think the majority of them advise that their swaps are for AUTO transmission only. So there's that. There's also the fact that I'd just be upping the ante. As in - oh you think FI is an adventure with unpredictable outcomes? Wait til you engine swap and mate to your manual transmission...enjoy the ride. Plus..now with the 392 out, I have a hard time ignoring the possibility of selling my Jeep (and a few other treasures maybe) and starting with a 392.

- Other JL Wrangler "Stock Engines" - Focus on 3.0 Eco-Diesel

I don't find anything very interesting or worth considering about the 3.6 ETorque, or the 2.0 Turbo (in comparison the stock 3.6 ESS). The 3.0 EcoDiesel is interesting for torque, and fuel economy / range. I like diesel, but I realize modern deisel symptoms add complexity and this engine maybe less proven. I don't even know if mating the 3.0 Eco Diesel to the manual transmission is an option, it'd certainly be a one of a kind. Maybe also an adventure not worth taking, I don't know how to consider reliability here.

Bottom Line...

What would you do if you were me? And last question - do you think my potential resell value has PLUMMETED on the basis of having a new engine installed? Let's say I install the stock 3.6...do you think my resell value will take a major hit? It's a well built jeep with quality gear..stock axles, but otherwise well outfitted.
sorry to hear about your cat

Sponsored

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Stock engine will likely do more for resale than any non-stock engine.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
hahaha I like it! Do I get to wear a special hat or anything?
šŸ˜‚ That would be great!

Honestly, itā€™s good to get this thread started sooner than later because I know we all will be here one day and we can get ideas flowing beforehand.

If I were you Iā€™d just go LS depending on budget, seems like a really good idea. I want to go LS or just do a swap when mine goes out. I actually wonder how many miles the 3.6L can hit. I hope itā€™s a solid motor!

I also went with the 6 speed. I prefor the ESS over the E-Torque. It will be interesting to compare and contrast how they age. I know Chrysler Dodge has been using that 3.6, but I have not followed how itā€™s been performing in those vehicles. Iā€™m really hoping it becomes the notorious ā€œ4.0Lā€, a solid farm motor that will literally run forever. You can barely find XJā€™s on the used market anymore because everyone started finding out how good the 4.0L is, due to still seeing late 90ā€™s models driving around with 400k miles.

Last edited:

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I admire your performance interest.

No typical stock engine can stand up to a supercharger. A supercharged engine ideally needs to be built with forged pistons and the compression rings need to be gapped accordingly. The loss of compression is most likely the result of the compression ring gaps closing causing the rings to break and maybe some piston ring lands to crack.

If you move forward with another supercharged engine, be sure it's built for it.
Here is another thing I've noticed from personal experience. I have a high compression 7 liter engine in my 76 F100 that requires premium gas. Not all premium gas is good. I've had some issues with preignition from some of them but never Exxon or Shell. My 76 F100 will have issues with gas from Sheets, Speedway, Citgo and etc... Having said that, if you did put some of that not so good premium gas in your supercharged 3.6, that could have added to your engine damage cause. Believe me I've pulled enough cracked rings out of high performance engines that were damaged from cheap gas.

I would not use a 3.6 other than stock. If you are definitely seeking performance, then use a performance built engine.

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I put 93 gas only, and most often Exxon which is everywhere where I live. Sounds like Iā€™ll aim for a 3.6 ESS replacement, and probably wonā€™t SC again. Once bitten..
I have under 30k on the Jeep, and I think around 8k on the SC...but Iā€™d need to look at paperwork to be sure. Certainly less than 10k. The Magnuson warranty explicitly talks about the engine when it comes to their power train coverage. Iā€™ll honestly be shocked if they intend to cover only the SC, and would push to the extent I can afford. Honestly, seems like theyā€™d want to lean on the quality of their warranty to still sell these after a few engine pops. And I am aware of another like mine. Magnuson ought to lock this down (quality of warranty) to avoid scaring off would be jugheads like me who have boners for less expensive power add options. At this point, I have no reason to think that Magnuson will fall short of standing behind their warranty. The fact that they are (or have been) an OEM for Toyotaā€™s and others...I have a hard time viewing them being anything less than pro, or screwing over the little guy. (Gotta have faith!!, Knock on wood!!)

I wish I hadnā€™t spent the last 2 years building on my Jeep. If I go 392, Iā€™ll lose so much and be back at a stock Jeep (gaining a monster engine obvi).
Sponsored