Sponsored

What would you do with a 10k budget on a up?

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Are you doing the work yourself? 10k is a lot of money but gets ate up quick.

If no labor,

3k for Rubi take out axles
2k for Rubi take off wheels and new 37s
2-2500 for lift
500 sliders/rails
500 misc
2k front/rear bumper and winch

Brett
That's exactly what I was thinking as far as it going quick! I'm in somewhere around 5-6K and I've only had mine for just over 2 months lol
Sponsored

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Hey guys just recently bought a 2 door jl sport s currently stock and thinking what I want. So I pose the question to you guys, what would you do under 10k total? Goal is nothing insane off road but a competent off roaring rig and just a cool looking machine.

I’m thinking something like the mopar lift, 35 inch tires, new fenders and fender liners, new bumpers with winch, some armor, led lights and a light bar. I don’t know what else.
Check out my recent thread which includes tons of feedback on various mods people have made w/ complete build lists. Should give you at least a few ideas! I've done a handful of things since so I'll post a pic with an updated list when I get a chance...

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
That's exactly what I was thinking as far as it going quick! I'm in somewhere around 5-6K and I've only had mine for just over 2 months lol
It’s an addiction for sure. We have a bunch of stuff coming for ours again. Thing with jeeps is they never really get done

Brett

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
Doubtful. You'd have to score a set of Rubicon take off axles and the Rok-trac to make it more capable for under $10K. It could be done...someone here IIRC said they got a set of Rubi axles for $2500 recently. That, however, is NOT the norm.
I picked up rubi axles with a steersmarts tie rod and both diff skids for $3200 with the upgraded brakes. New crate axles are about $4500 for the set so much more than the 3k mark is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. (Try telling the sellers that though)

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah but I also erred more on the side of I’d rather spend less upfront and build it up as I go and have a better understanding what I want/need

Also I had what’s probably a dumb question. I know a common mod is upgrade the axles. A lot say 35 inch tires can get away with stock axles others disagree. Beside the obvious pain of having to pull out a busted Jeep is there any reason why someone wouldn’t just stick with stock axles and then just upgrade if they break?
I’ve been running and wheeling 37s on the stock axles for about 6 months, stock sport gears, 6 speed transmission.(i just got rubicon axles with 5.13, rcvs, trusses, etc.) aside from the stock gearing really sucking, (I could only use gears 1-4) it actually did amazing off road in low range. even with no lockers but I did get the lsd. If you weren’t going above 35s and you wheel with caution I wouldn’t be concerned about the axles holding up. The only times I had to winch while wheeling without lockers was the same points that everyone in my group with lockers also had to winch. These things are awesome out of the box.
Side note: I’m not saying you have to armor it up like a tank but my first trip out with my rock sliders, they saved me thousands of dollars in bodywork.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Hey guys just recently bought a 2 door jl sport s currently stock and thinking what I want. So I pose the question to you guys, what would you do under 10k total? Goal is nothing insane off road but a competent off roaring rig and just a cool looking machine.

I’m thinking something like the mopar lift, 35 inch tires, new fenders and fender liners, new bumpers with winch, some armor, led lights and a light bar. I don’t know what else.
My advice would be to think about all the extra stuff you want to put on the Jeep. Winch, skid plates, storage system, racks, lights and what ever else you want to do.
Then, get the weights of all those things and add them up. Then guesstimate the camping gear weight and the number of people in the car and add those too.
Then once you know how much additional payload you've got on the Jeep, you can use that to figure out which lift kit will give you the best ride / performance for you use-case.
Suppliers like OME specialize in that sort of thing, as do some others no doubt.
If you are going to drop 10k, it's best to get it right the first time.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
I'm still confused why people think their "basic" Jeep can't do anything? Your Sport will scare the hell out of you! Try doing the trail stuff you want, then add from there. A winch is always an excellent option. I like the plan of making it look cool. That's why we get Jeeps:like:
I've been asking that same question since the first day I got my JLU (in May 2018) and still today, am no closer to an answer.

Last edited:

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was in the same boat as you for the last few months, I had planned on getting a sport s and putting the money into the mods! I ended up getting a Rubicon because of great deal, and it kinda working out for me, but moding any jeep will take you places you never thought possible! I am new to the jeep game, but I have always known the rule of modding/building. "If you mod/build the vehicle and do it right the vehicle will out perform the high end model for less money." Because you are able to put the money and mods directly into what you want to improve, the Rubicon for instance is more about the warranty and out of the box performance & some comforts, but if you build a sport it can perfect for what you intend it to do. :like:

I would start with the Winch, never gonna be like glad I didn't buy that, lol. :jk:

Suspension/wheels/gearing/light lift.

Armor/plates

tops etc. misc.

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
It’s an addiction for sure. We have a bunch of stuff coming for ours again. Thing with jeeps is they never really get done

Brett
No joke brother!! I keep telling my kids (and myself) that I just completed the last mod. And then I add "last major mod"... then I add "for now" and "I think" then "we'll see" hahaha wish I was lying right now :facepalm::rock:

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I've been asking that same question since the first day I got my JLU (in May 2018) and still today, am no closer to an answer.
same here. i guess its a personal preference thing. if you read my post on the topic. i'm keeping it simple since its my only and daily driver.
Sponsored