• Total voters

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR HellaYella!
Just curious: my tires are BFG K02's 315's - so 34.5 I understand (and not real 35's). Where do you fall for that?
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Just curious: my tires are BFG K02's 315's - so 34.5 I understand (and not real 35's). Where do you fall for that?
Diameter isn't much difference, however, the BFG are about 11 lbs lighter than the Nitto. I don't know what wheels you're using, but most after market wheels are wider/heavier than the stock wheels, especially true beadlocks. If you mounted the BFG on the stock wheels (even though min wheel width is 8"), I would say you're in the grey area and it's probably a matter of personal preference. I would probably still choose 4.88 as it would give me more flexibility in tire/wheel choice without much downside. I'm averaging about 22.5 mpg mixed driving in my JLR and I don't see a whole lot of difference in mpg between 5th and 6th gear with any kind of load on the engine, so I don't think another 150 rpm will make much difference. I posted a spread sheet a while back to help evaluate gearing, but there's nothing in there to compensate for rotational mass.

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, stock rubicon rims with spacers.

The owner of the shop told me 4.56 will "tighten up the gears" and he would not go to 4.88 . He knows me, and I won't change my tire choice in the future.

I asked if I was wasting my money going from 4.10 to 4.56 and he said 'absolutely not'.

I'm going with his recommendation, though I appreciate your experience & input!

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Are you often on the highway (60-80mph) ? If so, then 4.56 is for certain for you :)
Iā€™m on the highway often enough. At least a few times a month. Several times a year I drive far 3-6 hour trips.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diameter isn't much difference, however, the BFG are about 11 lbs lighter than the Nitto. I don't know what wheels you're using, but most after market wheels are wider/heavier than the stock wheels, especially true beadlocks. If you mounted the BFG on the stock wheels (even though min wheel width is 8"), I would say you're in the grey area and it's probably a matter of personal preference. I would probably still choose 4.88 as it would give me more flexibility in tire/wheel choice without much downside. I'm averaging about 22.5 mpg mixed driving in my JLR and I don't see a whole lot of difference in mpg between 5th and 6th gear with any kind of load on the engine, so I don't think another 150 rpm will make much difference. I posted a spread sheet a while back to help evaluate gearing, but there's nothing in there to compensate for rotational mass.
Yep the Nittos are quite heavy. Everyone told me donā€™t get them because they are E rated, heavy, this and that. But they look bad ass and they ride well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, stock rubicon rims with spacers.

The owner of the shop told me 4.56 will "tighten up the gears" and he would not go to 4.88 . He knows me, and I won't change my tire choice in the future.

I asked if I was wasting my money going from 4.10 to 4.56 and he said 'absolutely not'.

I'm going with his recommendation, though I appreciate your experience & input!
Iā€™m going to call the shop tomorrow and ask if they can do 4.56. Iā€™m not sure if revolution gears ( what they use)make 4.56

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got told 4.56 by the manager of a different well-reputed shop today.

There are no aftermarket 4.56 gears right now -- only "Dana Spicer", which made the axles and differentials that are already in our Jeeps from the factory ("Dana 44" is Dana Spicer). The downside is they cost about $250 more than aftermarket when there is aftermarket eventually, the good news is that there will never be anything better quality than Dana Spicer - the OEM (original equipment mfgr).

Last edited:

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what about break-in and oil after 500 miles? I get take it easy on the new gear set, but especially with Dana Spicer genuine gears is an oil change after 500 miles necessary?

I read something about a magnetic diff plug...

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what about break-in and oil after 500 miles? I get take it easy on the new gear set, but especially with Dana Spicer genuine gears is an oil change after 500 miles necessary?

I read something about a magnetic diff plug...
I read about that too. Iā€™m not sure if the drain plug in our Jeep is magnetic or not.
A Jeep mechanic I know said that he heard there are knock off Dana spicer gears. I have to be sure to get the real ones. I donā€™t know how I would know. I would trust that the shop would be wise about this.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Best way to do it is order the gears and kits yourself. Then bring it in for the install. You will save money getting it yourself and get quote on the install.

Sponsored

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best way to do it is order the gears and kits yourself. Then bring it in for the install. You will save money getting it yourself and get quote on the install.
Um, what shop is going to warranty the overall job if you bring in the parts... and the parts vendor ain't gonna warranty the parts without a fuss.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Um, what shop is going to warranty the overall job if you bring in the parts... and the parts vendor ain't gonna warranty the parts without a fuss.
Then ask the installer to see the parts before the install, how's that. LOL

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really donā€™t know which way to go. They tell me I wonā€™t notice much improvement with 4.56
But Iā€™m afraid of revving too high on highway with 4.88.
I see from postings others have this conundrum.

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The conservative answer is 4.56, validated by expert after expert. 4.88 is not conservative, and is favored by serious wheelers and people who are capable of doing their own work.

We've both gotten votes on both, but to me it's clear that 4.56 is the right choice for me. I don't want to drop $2000 and then in two years have problems. I want to visit this matter now, and then it's done for all eternity.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The conservative answer is 4.56, validated by expert after expert. 4.88 is not conservative, and is favored by serious wheelers and people who are capable of doing their own work.

We've both gotten votes on both, but to me it's clear that 4.56 is the right choice for me. I don't want to drop $2000 and then in two years have problems. I want to visit this matter now, and then it's done for all eternity.
Youā€™re right. I donā€™t wheel and never will, and will never put 37s. Iā€™m going to tell the shop I insist on 4.56.
Funny thing is I put the stock tires back on. I donā€™t like the way it looks but it drives great. A lot of spunk to it now that itā€™s not pushing the Nittos.
Sponsored