Sponsored

What would you do if your JL was a lemon?

First time Jeep owner: If FCA determined you had a lemon, would you...

• Total voters

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
As a first time Jeep owner, my husband and I have been faced with enough trips to the dealer to start the buy back process. If Jeep agrees that this is the best path moving forward, I'm at a loss as to what I should do. For the 2 months we have owned it, we've had fun driving it around town and overall are really excited to be in the Jeep family. We have not had the top off or taken it anywhere off road yet to really get a feel for it's capabilities. The first dealership for service wasn't that great, but the service we have been getting from the place where we purchased has at least been friendly. We think they're doing all they can, albeit with orders from FCA.

That said, we want out of this unreliable vehicle. The problem is that Jeep has created such a unique vehicle, we literally cannot find anything like it as an alternative. So... here we are. Part of me wants a new JL, playing the -it can't possibly happen again to a brand new JL at the same dealer- game. The other part says, F that, I'm out. However, that means going back into shopping for a vehicle, which we don't want to be in as a 1 car family. Another part says, just get a JK and you won't have to deal with any of this BS. But is that true?

:headbang:

What would YOU do?
Sponsored

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
At nearly 7000 miles, I've had zero (knock on wood) issues with my jeep. I've had zero issues with the other 3 I've owned. Yours was a bad apple; just get another if you want a jeep.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
If there is nothing else you want/like then get another.

Dark-R

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I purchased my 2019 Rubicon JLU in December, 2018. As of today, it is still with service for over 70 days related to roof leak. FCA refused to give my money back. it is not that easy to get your money back. Figure out how to get your money back first before you think about what to do next.

MTKMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4xe, 21 Range Rover HSE,
Vehicle Showcase
Know your states “Lemon Laws” and make sure all of the issues are well documented. There are plenty of cases on here where the buy back process has been smooth (notice I didn’t say quick or easy), if you have all of your facts straight, and you fall under the states definition of a “Lemon”. The dealership nor FCA is in the business of losing money, so neither will be elated at the idea of taking your used car back at a loss, to provide you with a new one.

Don’t let one bad experience ruin a vehicle for you. The Wrangler wouldn’t have the following it does if everyone had your experience. Pick a different trim level, switch up some options, or pick a different color to switch up the vibes for your next JL. Look at it as an opportunity to get a new Jeep with the options you really want/ need this time.

I’ve honestly had a great experience with the @JeepCares team. Get them involved as an advocate for you.

This is normal with any new generation of vehicle. The JK changed multiple things from 07 to 09, again in 2011. By the time that the final 18s rolled off the line they were much improved from the first few years. There is going to be a few bad apples in every bunch. :rock:

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
As a first time Jeep owner, my husband and I have been faced with enough trips to the dealer to start the buy back process. If Jeep agrees that this is the best path moving forward, I'm at a loss as to what I should do. For the 2 months we have owned it, we've had fun driving it around town and overall are really excited to be in the Jeep family. We have not had the top off or taken it anywhere off road yet to really get a feel for it's capabilities. The first dealership for service wasn't that great, but the service we have been getting from the place where we purchased has at least been friendly. We think they're doing all they can, albeit with orders from FCA.

That said, we want out of this unreliable vehicle. The problem is that Jeep has created such a unique vehicle, we literally cannot find anything like it as an alternative. So... here we are. Part of me wants a new JL, playing the -it can't possibly happen again to a brand new JL at the same dealer- game. The other part says, F that, I'm out. However, that means going back into shopping for a vehicle, which we don't want to be in as a 1 car family. Another part says, just get a JK and you won't have to deal with any of this BS. But is that true?

:headbang:

What would YOU do?
If you can get a buyback offer that makes you whole take it and don’t look back.

Broncos are on the way and Ford quality is miles ahead of FCA.

To fill the gap perhaps lease something for 24 months or buy something used to span the gap.

Remember if you do get a buyback and go the route of another JL you’ve gotten more karma points used up then FCA gives most....

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
First time Jeep owner that had an unfixable lemon driven for 22 days and 1700 miles FCA buyback and I chose a 2019 with a sky top. So far, so good. (Knocking loudly on wood)

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
peach, like you I'm going to be a first time Jeep buyer soon. I'm sorry to hear about your problems, but happy to hear Jeep is helping. There's bad vehicles made buy all the manufacturers, and Jeep isn't any different. But, as a rule those lemons are rare. I see the same thing on the F-150, Mustang, and Corvette forums that I'm a member. So, I say if you want a Jeep, and there's nothing else you like, get yourself another Jeep. The odds are on your side that you'll get a good one next time. Good luck.
Sponsored