What Would the Bronco Have to Do to Win You Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
If it is an updated version of a true Bronco, removable top option, fair price point, I'd probably give it a shot. I'd love to see some competition against FCA.

There used to be the:

Bronco
Samurai
Tracker
Sidekick
Rodeo
Sportage 2 door soft top
Scout
Etc.

I'd love to see Mahindra bring the Thar to the American market. It is a true CJ. Although we already see FCA suing over the Roxor... Mahindra has had the Patent since the 1940s.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Have you seen Jeep's track record lately, especially the JL? Can't get much worse.
Eh to each thier own, Ive been lucky with my jeep so far, no problems. However the ford I had constantly in the shop for transmission work and spitting spark plugs out of the head. I prefer the jeep community as well. Just a personal preference. :)

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
- Diesel or true mid 20s gas engine
- 4 door
- removable top. Would like see it the same as previous OJ era bronco, removable behind driver back with sunroof option over driver
- 4wd with selec-trac like option (I.e.awd functionality)
- not absolute must but nice to have: 3rd row seats (to get wife to shut up), multi-function tailgate (swing out or drop down like Honda ridgeline).

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Eh to each thier own, Ive been lucky with my jeep so far, no problems. However the ford I had constantly in the shop for transmission work and spitting spark plugs out of the head. I prefer the jeep community as well. Just a personal preference. :)
I like jeep people as well, just not a fan of the company.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
eco-boost engine, solid axles, lockers, support for 35” tires and removable top and I am sold. I have had many Broncos though, and generally I am a huge fan of Fords so I may not be the best person to ask. In general the build quaff a Ford is hands down better than a FCA vehicle so as long as they don’t really mess up it should be a pretty good vehicle. (I have owned close to 40 cars, only ones I really had any major issues were Jeeps and a few chevys. I had a Trailblazer SS that was a nightmare.)

Last edited:

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This was prompted by a post on another thread but I didn't want to send it on a tangent.

The poster said they would consider leaving the Wrangler for the Bronco if it was "done right". I am curious what that would mean.

I don't generally like Ford's recent design language but I do like their powertrains. I would at least look at a Bronco with retro styling, soft top, and manual and compare it to my Jeep. Otherwise I would have no interest. I'm sure others would be more focused on off-road characteristics or other features. Thoughts?
Everything I've driven for the last 16 years has been Ford or Jeep. I can tell you that Ford makes a great vehicle so I wouldn't mind a Bronco at all, but, they'd have to give it a removable top and better tow rating than the Wrangler. I think "done right" means a proper SUV with real off road ability, removable top like the original, and a rugged look.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you could turn back time and order a 76 Bronco w/ the V8 and Ford 9" rear, not bad at all!

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
I guess we'll see what happens. Ford did a great job when they introduced the 'retro' look Mustang (05?). They'll have a huge hit on their hands if they can replicate that with the Bronco.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Actually pretty nice look from this pic IMO, now lets see one that's a bone stocker ???

2020-bronco.jpg

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
If the new Bronco looks similar to this rendering, does well off-road including rock crawling, and has a removable top, then I would be interested. If it was also a reasonable cost without all the extra stuff many people want on new cars, then I would jump.

But probably that will not be the case. The price of the new Ford Ranger pickup is already high for a pickup, so probably the new Bronco will be high. In fact, I already saw some quotes from Ford management indicating the new Bronco will be up to the "standards" of new car buyers in terms of accouterments. So that sounded ominous.

For the most part they don't build new vehicles anymore for people like me - I'm just not their target market.

2020Bronco.jpg

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I'm surprised so many of the renderings are 2-door. I doubt it will primarily be a 2-door vehicle.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
New-Old Broncos can be had if you have $120-$180K sitting around...
https://jalopnik.com/an-illinois-company-is-building-brand-new-ford-licensed-1830970324
Yep I live in Illinois now and have seen articles about that. Crazy what's happened to the 1966-1977 gen Bronco market.

I was living in Colorado in the 90's and into the early 2000's. And back then old Bronco's were a dime a dozen. Some guys I knew were always smashing them up on trails and didn't care. You could pick one up for as little as $1000 in crummy condition, or $3000 to $4000 for a daily driver. Back then I ended up getting a $5700 1972 Series III Land Rover instead.

Figured I would eventually pickup a Bronco as well, but got out of the hobby for a while moving to Chicago. Went back to Colorado a few years ago on a visit and WTH - prices were through the roof! Not exactly sure why first gen Broncos are so high in price, considering old CJs are still very reasonably priced. Must be the "in thing".
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.