Sponsored

What would ordering be like if Jeep actually cared?

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Dear Jeep:

Wouldn't it be amazing if you cared about your customers and their custom orders?

Let's talk about some ways this could be possible.

• Simplify the ordering/customization process. You have an online configuration tool. How about keeping it up to date with pricing and packaging? Some brands let you export this online spec to a saved configuration # which any dealer can then access to order your ideal vehicle. Remarkable, eh?
  • Educate your dealers on the custom order process. Actually support them in helping place a sold order, even if you're not going to get into the pricing discussion. Or you know what? Take the dealer out of the process entirely if you like, and support sold orders through a special team that manages them separately.
  • You obviously have some sort of back end status system that tracks the vehicle. You know when customer sold orders come in. Surely you see where I'm going with this. Could you imagine the customer loyalty and goodwill you'd build if you - gasp - sent an email to the customer when his Jeep hit the assembly line? Let's go crazy and point out that you could probably even send a photo of their jeep being built. If not, I can spot you a webcam and some software.
  • Status, status, status. Imagine if when you ordered something, you were kept informed of when it would arrive to you. Imagine still if sold customer sold orders had some priority in build, "inspection", and shipping status?? Mind blowing I know. It is almost like purchasers want to know what's going on with their $50k
  • Of course once it leaves the factory Jeep has no idea where it is... but riddle me this - what if I told you we had the technology to "track a package" What if we deployed a global system of satellites capable of geolocating an object anywhere on earth?
  • and last but not least
  • What if, when something went wrong with the process, someone actually had the ability and authority to tell the purchaser what happened and let them know their new ETA and expected resolution. What if, rather than delaying an order for 2 months because there were no red decals, you gave the customer the option to take their build with grey decals. Do you think that this might improve the experience with essentially no cost?

All this seems impossible, I know. But it isn't. This is all entirely possible and could be done across your "flagship" vehicles, and could potentially even be self-sustaining (imagine a $250 priority custom build fee that gets the purchaser all of the above). And all of those people would tell all of their friends about what an amazing experience they had, custom-ordering a vehicle just for them, and they would talk about how great Jeep was and how they got exactly what they wanted. They'd forward the email with pictures of their half-built Jeep to all their buddies at work with captions like "Bro, this is gonna be awesome."

But it's not like that. It's not like that at all.
Sponsored

ExRIGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grand Cherokee SRT, 2015 Charger R/T
Nope, FCA gives zero Fs. Living it now with my order mess.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Dude, I was happy just to get a window sticker with my name printed on it that I can keep in my garage forever (I'm gonna get it framed one of these days).

All of the above are great ideas that Jeep has no interest in implementing as long as they can continue to milk their cash cow. Sadly, though, if things do go tits-up with the Wrangler, instead of improving the customer experience with measures like the ones you listed I fear that instead we will experience the blandening of the model.

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
Dude, I was happy just to get a window sticker with my name printed on it that I can keep in my garage forever (I'm gonna get it framed one of these days).

All of the above are great ideas that Jeep has no interest in implementing as long as they can continue to milk their cash cow. Sadly, though, if things do go tits-up with the Wrangler, instead of improving the customer experience with measures like the ones you listed I fear that instead we will experience the blandening of the model.
Where'd you get a sticker with your name on it?? Mines still 2 weeks out but I have the window sticker and my name isn't anywhere on it.

OP
OP
flot

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Where'd you get a sticker with your name on it?? Mines still 2 weeks out but I have the window sticker and my name isn't anywhere on it.
The online sticker doesn't show your name - when it arrives the paper sticker should. (I ordered a Ram last year)

Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Dear Jeep:

Wouldn't it be amazing if you cared about your customers and their custom orders?

• Simplify the ordering/customization process. You have an online configuration tool. How about keeping it up to date with pricing and packaging? Some brands let you export this online spec to a saved configuration # which any dealer can then access to order your ideal vehicle. Remarkable, eh?
  • Educate your dealers on the custom order process. Actually support them in helping place a sold order, even if you're not going to get into the pricing discussion. Or you know what? Take the dealer out of the process entirely if you like, and support sold orders through a special team that manages them separately.
  • You obviously have some sort of back end status system that tracks the vehicle. You know when customer sold orders come in. Surely you see where I'm going with this. Could you imagine the customer loyalty and goodwill you'd build if you - gasp - sent an email to the customer when his Jeep hit the assembly line? Let's go crazy and point out that you could probably even send a photo of their jeep being built. If not, I can spot you a webcam and some software.
  • Status, status, status. Imagine if when you ordered something, you were kept informed of when it would arrive to you. Imagine still if sold customer sold orders had some priority in build, "inspection", and shipping status?? Mind blowing I know. It is almost like purchasers want to know what's going on with their $50k
  • Of course once it leaves the factory Jeep has no idea where it is... but riddle me this - what if I told you we had the technology to "track a package" What if we deployed a global system of satellites capable of geolocating an object anywhere on earth?
  • and last but not least
  • What if, when something went wrong with the process, someone actually had the ability and authority to tell the purchaser what happened and let them know their new ETA and expected resolution. What if, rather than delaying an order for 2 months because there were no red decals, you gave the customer the option to take their build with grey decals. Do you think that this might improve the experience with essentially no cost?

All this seems impossible, I know. But it isn't. This is all entirely possible and could be done across your "flagship" vehicles, and could potentially even be self-sustaining (imagine a $250 priority custom build fee that gets the purchaser all of the above). And all of those people would tell all of their friends about what an amazing experience they had, custom-ordering a vehicle just for them, and they would talk about how great Jeep was and how they got exactly what they wanted. They'd forward the email with pictures of their half-built Jeep to all their buddies at work with captions like "Bro, this is gonna be awesome."

@JeepCares should read this!!!

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Dear Jeep:

• and last but not least

Here's one for you. Recently saw an add showing fresh fish caught and packaged and crated up on the boat and tracked from catch to delivery. This was done with a small tracking device put in the crate. So simple. They knew where that fish was 24/7. this is a very inexpensive small tracking chip. This could be with vehicle from manufacture to dealer then the chips sent back to factory after delivery. This could also be done with a paint dot,which I will not elaborate on. Totally cheap.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Here's one for you. Recently saw an add showing fresh fish caught and packaged and crated up on the boat and tracked from catch to delivery. This was done with a small tracking device put in the crate. So simple. They knew where that fish was 24/7. this is a very inexpensive small tracking chip. This could be with vehicle from manufacture to dealer then the chips sent back to factory after delivery. This could also be done with a paint dot,which I will not elaborate on. Totally cheap.
forgot to add this would be available on line and you could watch where your build was at anytime. The tech is available right now and has been.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
While there are certainly many things FCA could do better (steering!!!) I have some thoughts on the below, but I think the real issue is that custom orders count for a very small percentage of vehicles sold, so there just isn't a business case in investing to make this small pool happier:

I printed out my configuration and took it in. I like this idea but, per my statement above, it probably costs a lot to implement. Plus, I'd be a bit worried about errors

I had no issue with my dealer, they were great to work with and order from - I suggest you try another dealer if you had issues ordering. I was given paperwork with my VON before I put any money down! If they take the dealer out of the process, who is going to take delivery and do final inspections, or sell it if you change your mind, etc?

The above are pretty similar and, from what I know, they used to have much better tracking all the way to the dealer through the web. They took it down because of too many people screaming about why their vehicle was sitting in a rail yard for 3 days. I agree, it would have been nice to track, and my Jeep was a surprise when it showed up and I had to wait 5 days to get the check from my CU before picking her up! As for what's happening with our $50K, I think most people put just a fraction down so its not like we have the full 50K invested at this point.

• and last but not least
I agree with the above. While I had no issues with either my wrangler or pacifica custom orders this year, if I had, I'd probably be livid.

I wouldn't pay $250 for all of the above, and I'm pretty OCD about new vehicles even telling the dealer not to do anything but their bare minimum. I don't think I'd want to see the process of my new car being built ;)[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You should google VOTS. FCA used to have a Vehicle Online Tracking System. They killed it around 5 years ago I think? Not sure why but it certainly hasn't hurt sales.

Sponsored

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If I had to guess custom orders probably make up less than 10% of all Wrangler sales, on this forum it is probably significantly higher because we all are nuts. Implementing all of these changes to improve a process for what is seemingly a minority doesn't make sense on a cost/income sale.

Look at Porsche and other luxury manufactures that offer a factory delivery option. Its an exclusive add-on and you are still responsible for delivery and registration of your vehicle, sometimes across continents. While this seems great for those who can afford the time and expense, for the vast majority this isn't plausible.

FCA could definitely implement some better controls and add-ons for people who go the route of custom ordering, but most dealers tend to make more money on lot sales so there probably isn't much support on this issue.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They showed all the care I needed to see by sending me a beautiful Jeep that has been the equal to the best vehicles I've ever owned, and by far the most fun and capable. I didn't care that some Jeep rep in a cubicle somewhere wasn't able to tell me which rail car it was in at the Toledo marshalling yard. Time passed and my Jeep showed up. I've had stupid fun with it ever since. Thanks, FCA.

If that process bugs someone, just find what you want in dealer inventory somewhere. If your dealer doesn't have it, they should be able to easily find it, unless maybe you want a manual transmission. Order times appear to be much shorter nowadays, anyway, than when I ordered mine. Much shorter. There are bazillions of them out there now. When I ordered mine, there wasn't a single one in Dealer inventory in the country. So, I had to wait. Just like I had to wait for Christmas, when I was a kid.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
They showed all the care I needed to see by sending me a beautiful Jeep that has been the equal to the best vehicles I've ever owned, and by far the most fun and capable. I didn't care that some Jeep rep in a cubicle somewhere wasn't able to tell me which rail car it was in at the Toledo marshalling yard. Time passed and my Jeep showed up. I've had stupid fun with it ever since. Thanks, FCA.

If that process bugs someone, just find what you want in dealer inventory somewhere. If your dealer doesn't have it, they should be able to easily find it, unless maybe you want a manual transmission. Order times appear to be much shorter nowadays, anyway, than when I ordered mine. Much shorter. There are bazillions of them out there now. When I ordered mine, there wasn't a single one in Dealer inventory in the country. So, I had to wait. Just like I had to wait for Christmas, when I was a kid.
Great post Dan, my JL build was built early and the dealer held it up in the railyard so it would only be on the lot a couple weeks, great experience for us!

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
If I had to guess custom orders probably make up less than 10% of all Wrangler sales, on this forum it is probably significantly higher because we all are nuts.
:CWL: Cut right to the core. Truth
Sponsored